A Central Scripts repo would be great Topic is solved

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
boardtc

A Central Scripts repo would be great

08 Oct 2019, 05:47

I am aware of the scripts showcase and googling finds various stashs of scripts on reddit or githubs but it would be great if there was a centralised bank of scripts. Maybe people could even vote on their usefulness so they could be sorted by popularity.

Anyway, I was using the old script from '06 https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/10412-paste-plain-text-and-copycut/page-1 whose shortcut Ctrl+WinKey+C overlaps with toggle the colour filter in Windows 10. I have now changed my hotkey to avoid this clash, which is one of the beauties of AutoHotKey. But I would much prefer to search a bank of scripts and see if there was a better script out there for doing this plain text copying, maybe offerings something I have not considered.
Last edited by boardtc on 08 Oct 2019, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
tidbit

Re: A Central Scripts repo would be great  Topic is solved

08 Oct 2019, 10:27

Thats a lot of maintaining. a few of these have been done in the past but they all die after a few weeks/months because no one wants to run all the not-so-good scripts (no offense to anyone). Can't just add everything, otherwise it becomes bloated and useless, be the same as browsing the Forums. and you have to thoroughly test it out to determine if it should be added. Is it too buggy? Malicious? Very well done? Does the author give permission (licenses are a thing) to redistribute and share it?

But this is the wrong section to discuss this as you haven't made one and are not sharing it. I'll move it.

ofcourse there are services/appstores (windows store, various package/software managers mostly used on linux systems, Nuget) which allow users to submit their programs. But the same issues apply (except they agree to allow sharing). Allow everything and get spammed with everyones first Hello World they thought would be helpful to someone? That'd also let malicious code through. Or get some folks to curate a list. Filtering out useless code and malicious content.
BUT FIRST we would need someone to develop such a system for AHK, then host it, get server/storage space, backups incase stuff happens. Which is a LOT of work.

This seems to be the most recent attempt, but it's mostly functions, not 'scripts'. https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60006
And Awesome AHK https://github.com/ahkscript/awesome-AutoHotkey
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
boardtc

Re: A Central Scripts repo would be great

09 Oct 2019, 03:49

@tidbit Thanks for taking the time to explain clearly and rehoming my post! It is indeed a can of worms! :)
tidbit

09 Oct 2019, 16:07

@boardtc
btw, this might be of interest. it's basically some super copy/paste tool, billion options and features.
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3378

I've never used it personally, but it seems fairly popular and well done.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
boardtc

11 Feb 2020, 08:38

Thanks, @tidbit, I had a brief look at the Lintalist, it's an intimidating one to come in on, I just want a script to strip the formatting. Actually I no longer use AHK for doing that. In Windows (10) shift-ctrl-v does it, it doesn’t work in Office apps. e.g Outlook, but you can use ctrl-alt-v and select “unformatted” to strip the formatting. It works, I'd use AHK for it though if there was a simple solution that worked for me!
SOTE

17 May 2020, 05:42

In addition to Awesome AHK, there is AHK-libs-and-classes-collection, which has a very extensive list.
https://github.com/Ixiko/AHK-libs-and-classes-collection
(AHK-libs-and-classes-collection)
tidbit wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 10:27
This seems to be the most recent attempt, but it's mostly functions, not 'scripts'. https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60006
I like AHK-Rare too, because of its emphasis on functions, so adds value differently.
https://github.com/Ixiko/AHK-Rare
mslonik

28 Dec 2020, 06:40

I'd like to continue this discussion.

In my opinion there two issues which may be touched here:
  1. So called "Script showcase" which in fact is a collection of "script repo".
  2. Standalone Central Script repo.
Ad. 1. Open questions:
  1. What are the criteria for script / library to be placed in category "Script showcase" of official AutoHotkey documentation?
  2. If piece of code is already a part of "Script showcase", does it means it was tested? Against what? Is it malicious or not?
  3. How often this list is updated?
  4. etc.
The help page does not answers to those questions, what is a topic by itself. Maybe it's not the right thread to discuss it, but I wanted to point out relationship to "central script repo" at least.

Ad. 2. Some thoughts about "central script repo" concept.
  1. I have a dream to use such a "central script repo" and I love the idea. This idea is big, I know, but let's think big.
  2. I have seen it working in another open source project. This project is called Joomla!. This is CMS (Content Management System). It works in a way that central / core of the software is extended by third-parties or non-commercial authors. The extension library is here. Project is lead / managed / guided by Joomla Foundation. By the way the word joomla means "together".
  3. Maybe we (?) could use their best practices to establish the same idea / web portal dedicated to "central script repo"?
  4. What I personally like at most is open way to commercialize code snippets / applications based on AutoHotkey. Currently from my perspective this is quite tedious task to do it alone, without external support and...
  5. ... till now one of the vast Linux advantages is central repository of files. I know, there is a similar idea for Microsoft Windows called Chocolatey. From the other hand Microsoft itself is not only thinking about such concept as a "shop".
  6. How many examples of successful commercially available applications based on AutoHotkey code do I know? As I recall now: Quick Access Popup just to name anything.
  7. Without such a central repository AutoHotkey oriented projects have to find a way to attention of potential user alone. In the nineties and two thousand we saw plenty of web pages. Almost everyone could for a penny start its own web page, so called "private" web page. They're in general gone. Nowadays we have "subinternet": Internet in Internet like Facebook, Instagram and similar "portals" containing in fact individual web pages. So... why go back? Why not centralize?
  8. I'm really afraid that without easy, straightforward way to commercialize code snippets AutoHotkey will not develop much more than it is right now: bunch of friendly, helpful, openminded individuals gathering their thoughts at this forum. Dot.
Of course I should start from myself: how can I support my idea? The very first idea is to share my thoughts with others. This is what I do right away. Next I'm thinking about arguments provided in this thread already:
BUT FIRST we would need someone to develop such a system for AHK
The system is developed by Joomla Foundation already. As far as I know (not sure of that) it earns at the moment for itself: if you run a company and offer your solution in such a repository, you have to pay a fee. Thanks to those money Foundation maintain this repository. Even if my presumption is wrong, we can do it this way, I suppose.
then host it get server/storage space, backups incase stuff happens. Which is a LOT of work.
Can't it be hosted parallel to the AutoHotkey forum? Maintained in the same way? This work is now done voluntarily then, I suppose? So where is a limit? I mean: voluntary support of forum is fine, but central repository is too much?

Kind regards, mslonik (🐘)

My scripts on this forum: Hotstrings Diacritic O T A G L E
Please become my patreon: Patreon👍
Written in AutoHotkey text replacement tool: Hotstrings.technology
Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
tidbit

28 Dec 2020, 15:22

I doubt that Showcase page has been updated within the last decade, other than to updating links from "Forum thread" to "Archived forum thread", and probably purge some dead links.
IMO, documentation doesn't seem like a place for a showcase, but I guess it can motivate people "look what it can do!"
rawr. fear me.
*poke*

Return to “General Discussion”