trying to find name for COM Object for this application

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
keokio

trying to find name for COM Object for this application

29 Oct 2019, 00:07

Using a cad/ cam program ESPRIT CAM at work I'm trying to use with autohotkey. I'm new to using objects and I see tutorials with Office programs that start with:

oexcel := ComObjactive("excel.application")

I can't find the "excel.application" part for my program. Seems like most tutorials start with assuming you know this information. I can't find any tutorials on how to go about find this information.

any help would be appreciated, thx
gregster

Re: trying to find name for COM Object for this application

29 Oct 2019, 00:18

Are you sure this software has a COM interface ? Well, it's possible, but not guaranteed. Perhaps it some kind of API interface instead, or something similar. Perhaps you need a plugin. Perhaps you first need to register it with your system.
The people who should know are obviously the support people for this CAD/CAM program... who should be able to direct you to relevant documentation of an esisting interface.
keokio

29 Oct 2019, 00:23

i dont know 100% but it uses vba programming language and there is a record macro option which is pretty much the same as you would find on excel. The edit macro would bring up the libary and such.
keokio

29 Oct 2019, 01:17

hmm going to give it a try tomorrow at work. That COM inspector looks interesting. i've figured out using CLSID instead works as well. Will let you know how it goes, thanks
JoeWinograd

29 Oct 2019, 01:22

Hi keokio,

Haven't used it myself, but their Tool Kit seems to be what you want:
https://www.espritcam.com/pl-pl/products/toolkit

Note this comment there (copied here under "Fair Use"):
The ESPRIT Tool Kit is composed of ESPRIT’s Application Programming Interface (API) — based on the Microsoft Component Object Model (COM) — and Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications. The ESPRIT API provides third party access to the vast array of CAD/CAM technology built into ESPRIT, as described in this literature.
I suspect that the Tool Kit contains documentation on their COM API, although that's just a guess...worth a look. Regards, Joe
keokio

29 Oct 2019, 21:37

yah that tool kit is probably what I need, but im guessing they are charging money for it. Thanks for you help though
hd0202

30 Oct 2019, 01:03

you say you use ESPRIT CAM at work. Do you have access to sample programs written in VBA (Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications) ? They must use this code for connection.

Hubert
keokio

03 Nov 2019, 15:12

hd0202 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 01:03
you say you use ESPRIT CAM at work. Do you have access to sample programs written in VBA (Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications) ? They must use this code for connection.

Hubert
when I load up the macro editor in ESPRIT, there are some macros already saved in there that we actually use for work. Is there a way I can use this information to get a connection with autohotkey?
hd0202

04 Nov 2019, 01:48

look for a line like

Code: Select all

??? := Com???("???.application")
Hubert
keokio

10 Nov 2019, 21:22

hd0202 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 01:48
look for a line like

Code: Select all

??? := Com???("???.application")
Hubert
well i tried looking for one can't seem to find it
gregster

10 Nov 2019, 21:46

Well, do the creators of this software even charge for minimal customer support? I mean, they should be able to answer the question if the COM interface is included with your license or not.
And if yes, how to find it. And if not, which options they can offer.
keokio

16 Nov 2019, 15:52

gregster wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 21:46
Well, do the creators of this software even charge for minimal customer support? I mean, they should be able to answer the question if the COM interface is included with your license or not.
And if yes, how to find it. And if not, which options they can offer.
yes actually I called technical support and they charge separately for support, the software license doesn't have an expiration but the support aspect does so no go there.
gregster

16 Nov 2019, 16:10

So you still don't know if there is even a COM interface available for your software, with your current license?

I mean, if COM is an additional/optional feature that you might have to pay for... that company still won't tell you - without charging - that they (or some third party) actually sell it, or that you already have it or that it isn't available anyway ?

That's some genius company there :D :facepalm:

Perhaps you should ask their sales department instead (or one of their resellers) ;) Show some potential interest in a purchase, but you need to know some product details first... especially if there is a COM interface and how it could be accessed. Without that info, you can't possibly make a purchase.

Edit:
I mean, JoeWinograd found some information about their Tool Kit that seems to have API/COM support - you could explicitly ask about that product and if it is included with certain license types or if you always need to purchase it separately. Also your own IT department should be able to tell you if they have it already and if they have any additional information or docs lying around.
Perhaps, if it is an add-on, it makes sense for your company to purchase it - but then their sales department should provide you with the information you need to make a pitch to your manager...

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”