New Discord invite link?

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
naikrovek

New Discord invite link?

11 Nov 2019, 11:51

The Discord link in the blue bar underneath the header image on the forums is expired, and doesn't work.

Can it be updated with a new, non-expiring link, please? I want to join.
gregster

Re: New Discord invite link?

11 Nov 2019, 11:55

It seems to work for me:
Screenshot_2019-11-11 Join the AutoHotkey Discord Server .png
Screenshot_2019-11-11 Join the AutoHotkey Discord Server .png (36.66 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
But I don't know much about Discord...
naikrovek

11 Nov 2019, 13:31

You'll see that page no matter what Discord invite link you click. That page never indicates if an invite link is expired or not.

note that I am talking about a Discord Invite link, not an HTML link.

After clicking the button in your screenshot, you'll see this:
Discord_Expired_Invite.png
Discord_Expired_Invite.png (71.71 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
Last edited by naikrovek on 11 Nov 2019, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
gregster

11 Nov 2019, 13:47

Nope, not in my case. Of course, I tried that.
Since I don't have the stand-alone app, the chat actually opens in a browser tab.

Afaik, @Runie has also closed a previous report by another user account, so I assume that there might be something else going on.
Perhaps your IP needs to get white-listed or whatever...
naikrovek

11 Nov 2019, 13:51

Well, fantastic. I guess I've been banned from a community I've never joined. Will wonders never cease?

I understand that it's based on IP address. The problem is that, at work, my HTTP(S) traffic is going through a Zscaler proxy; so someone was banned while using this proxy, presumably at work, and you won't be able to unban me without unbanning the troublemaker. I should be able to join from home or my mobile, and I don't know what will happen when I log into Discord at work. Yes, I use communities like this one at work, for work things.
Last edited by naikrovek on 11 Nov 2019, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
gregster

11 Nov 2019, 13:56

I @-mentioned Runie in the post above, so he might react. Otherwise, I can PM him.

Perhaps there are some restrictions for our Discord channel for new users, like we have in the forum, but it would be news to me. There was at least one other account that reported the same (or similar) problem a few days ago.
Meanwhile, the forum itself can be be helpful with AHK-related questions, too!
naikrovek

11 Nov 2019, 14:00

I got in by switching Wi-Fi off on my phone, and following the invite process there.

I feel like an absolute fool for not trying this previously. I had assumed that the invite was just expired; I've seen so many expired discord invite links, I just assumed that this one was expired, too.

Thank you for the sanity check proving that I was wrong. It stings a bit, and it helped a lot.
gregster

11 Nov 2019, 14:05

Ok, that gives some hints what might be going on.

I already pm'ed RUNIE with your IP information, so perhaps he can white-list it.
naikrovek

11 Nov 2019, 14:08

No need. Things are working fine with the ban in place. The ban must only be enforced upon joining. I'll update this post if I get booted out later.
runie

11 Nov 2019, 22:30

Hi,

We don't have any systems that auto-ban people (at least not on joining). Whether we do or don't have restrictions on new users that join isn't really something I'm interested in disclosing.

As you said, bans take effect on both account and IP-address. As you also pointed out, invite links show up as expired if your IP/account has previous been banned.

Since you got in from another IP, your account hasn't been banned previously. However, your work IP has. Either someone you work with has been banned previously, or your work routes traffic through a VPN (or proxy as you said) of sorts who has users that has been previously banned by us.

Messaging me IPs is of no use, as Discord only allows banning by account. In the background Discord does an IP ban as well which is not viewable/searchable by us.

I also closed the previous report about the invite link being expired since I obviously know myself that it's not. We unfortunately do not yet have an "official" channel for unban requests.
gregster

12 Nov 2019, 06:37

Thank you for the clarification, RUNIE. :thumbup:
This will help with similar requests.

Return to “General Discussion”