System Error Codes documentation

Share your ideas as to how the documentation can be improved.
joefiesta

System Error Codes documentation

25 Apr 2020, 13:10

At documentation for RUN, under UseErrorLevel, is found
Each number corresponds to a specific error condition (to get a list, search www.microsoft.com¬ for "system error codes").
This search will not find the desired information. The correct search should be
docs.microsoft.com "system error codes"
gregster

Re: System Error Codes documentation

25 Apr 2020, 13:20

Even just "system error codes" works for me on Google (but this could probably be different for different users and countries). Same top result like for docs.microsoft.com "system error codes".

If I search on the website www.microsoft.com for "system error codes" (search bar), like recommended, I get the same first result. So, to me, the docs seem to be fine.
joefiesta

28 Apr 2020, 09:51

I didn't search from on the microsoft website. I searched for "site:www.microsoft.com" & "system error codes".
I misinterpretted the doc. Thanks Gregster. However, one could argue the subtle difference between "search from this website" and "search this website for...". In the latter case, the search could be "site:www.microsoft.com system error codes", which fails.
swagfag

29 Apr 2020, 11:40

infinitely more useful would have been if ErrorLevel included this function

Code: Select all

FormatMessage(errorCode) {
	static countChars := 1024
	static sizeBuffer := countChars * (A_IsUnicode ? 2 : 1)

VarSetCapacity(lpBuffer, sizeBuffer, 0)
	DllCall("FormatMessage", "UInt", 0x1000, "Ptr", 0, "UInt", errorCode, "UInt", 0, "Ptr", &lpBuffer, "UInt", countChars)
	return StrGet(&lpBuffer) 
}
and it would have been even infinitlier more useful if it was a built-in to begin with(like in ahk_h) or if querying A_LastError returned an object already containing that info
but thats neither here nor there
joefiesta

15 Jun 2020, 10:30

Okay, same problem again, but different search. (And, so, I am not opening a new issue).

The documentation for FORMATTIME includes
Ln: If this option is not present, the current user's locale is used to format the string. To use the system's locale instead, specify LSys. To use a specific locale, specify the letter L followed by a hexadecimal or decimal locale identifier (LCID). For information on how to construct an LCID, search www.microsoft.com¬ for the following phrase: Locale Identifiers
Once again, this is problematic when it comes to finding the information on microsoft.com.

However, this example is WORSE. Previously, going to microsoft.com and searching for "system error codes" (see above) solved the problem. But, from microsoft.com, using their search bar, a search for "locale identifiers" comes up empty.

And, as a heads up, this is going to lead me the following questions:
1. how do I learn my current locales value?
2. what, exactly, is the "system's locale"? (maybe these are answered when I get to "locale identifiers" information on microsoft.com. I don't know yet.)

This all has to do with what happened to me today. I issued "FILESETTIME, 2019, abc.txt, A and the time was set to "Dec. 31, 2018, 23:00" (which, obviously, means daylight savings time is involved in this problem and, thus, why I am concerned about LOCALE.)

Return to “Suggestions on Documentation Improvements”