Prevent LWin opening Start Menu when pressed for too long, but keep modifying functionality

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
WalterRoberts

Prevent LWin opening Start Menu when pressed for too long, but keep modifying functionality

07 May 2020, 08:21

Hello, I am using the Windows Key for a lot of custom system wide hotkeys, so basically I am trying to achieve the following behavior: When pressed and released quickly I would still like the Start Menu to appear, but when pressed for a longer period of time I would like it to send nothing to avoid the Start Menu unintentionally popping up. This is especially for the times where I think I am going to perform a certain hotkey related with the Windows Logo Key but midway through I change my mind and thus depress LWin without having pressed any other key.
By looking at other posts I have come so far with my code, but there is one big problem:

Code: Select all

$LWin::
    startTime := A_TickCount ;record the time the key was pressed
    KeyWait, LWin, U ;wait for the key to be released
    keypressDuration := A_TickCount-startTime ;calculate the duration the key was pressed down
    if (keypressDuration > 200) ;if the key was pressed down for more than 200ms send >
    {
         Return
    }
    else ;if the key was pressed down for less than 200ms send LWin
    {
         Send {LWin} 
    }

return
At first glance this works as you would think, but it actually disables the entire modifier functionality of LWin which is of course pointless, so i.e. #d [to show desktop] stops working. Adding a tilde {~} at the beginning like so " $~LWin " does not work either as this results in long presses still sending the Start Menu once again.
I have absolutely no idea how I can achieve my desired behavior and am not even sure if I have taken the right approach to begin with. I am hoping someone here knows the solution to this problem as I am a bit lost.
Cheers!
GEV

Re: Prevent LWin opening Start Menu when pressed for too long, but keep modifying functionality

07 May 2020, 15:51

Try

#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force

; create an array/object of the keys you want combine with LWin:
Keys := ["a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k","l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w","x","y","z","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0","F1","F2"] ;...

; create a hotkey once for each key in this object, using a For-Loop:
For each, key in Keys
{
	Hotkey, %key%, LWin_Key
	Hotkey, ~%key% Up, Up_Key 
}
return

LWin::
	startTime := A_TickCount
	KeyWait, LWin
	keypressDuration := A_TickCount-startTime
	If (keypressDuration > 300)
		return
	else
		Send {LWin Down}{LWin Up}
return

LWin_Key:
	If GetKeyState("LWin","P")
	{
		Send {Blind}{LWin Up}
		If (A_ThisHotkey = "F1")
			MsgBox, LWin+F1
		else
		If (A_ThisHotkey = "F2")
			MsgBox, LWin+F2
		else
			Send #{%A_ThisHotkey%}
	}
	else
		Send {%A_ThisHotkey%}
return

Up_Key:
return
Last edited by GEV on 07 May 2020, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
WalterRoberts

Re: Prevent LWin opening Start Menu when pressed for too long, but keep modifying functionality

07 May 2020, 16:33

Thank you for helping me! Unfortunately I am a noob and your code currently exceeds my understanding of AHK.
I have tested your version and at first everything seemed to work great. Meanwhile I have encountered three bugs:

1) Win+Tab completely stopped working, also after adding "Tab" to the array.
2) When pressing for instance Win+D very rapidly the start menu pops up.
3) When right-clicking the AHK TrayIcon followed by a typed "R" for reload nothing happens. Oddly this is still working for literally any other context menu.

I was just curious if this was possible. It seems like it's more complicated than I thought.
GEV

07 May 2020, 17:17

%A_ThisHotkey% has to be in curly braces in the Send command. I corrected it.
WalterRoberts

10 May 2020, 09:26

Someone on Discord has found a working solution which involves simply pressing the {Esc} key, if {LWin} was the only key pressed and it was pressed for more than 2 seconds:

#If !GetKeyState("LWin", "P")
~LWin::start := A_TickCount 
#If 

$LWin UP:: 
If ((A_TickCount - start) > 2000) && (A_Priorkey = "~LWin") 
     Send, {esc}
else 
    Send {LWin UP}
return

This is working great, but it seems the value entered in milliseconds does not get recognized at all. For testing purposes, I entered 6000 for 6 seconds and there is no difference whatsoever. The actual value is around 250ms (a quarter of a second) after which the start menu won't show anymore, which is incidentally exactly what I wanted it to be.

I am still curious though, what is the exact reason why the timing is not working as it should. Maybe someone here will know the answer to this.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”