Feature request in Installer.ahk

Propose new features and changes
malcev

Feature request in Installer.ahk

08 May 2020, 16:13

I think that to check if UAC is enabled is not needed.

Code: Select all

RegRead UACIsEnabled, HKLM, SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, EnableLUA
It is logically always to display option "Run with UI Access" when install.
lexikos

Re: Feature request in Installer.ahk

27 May 2020, 04:26

If UAC is not enabled, the "Run as administrator" option does not work. Worse, I think it runs the script without any kind of elevation or any indication that it have failed to elevate. Other executable file types which have this option behave the same way. "Run with UI Access" runs the script using a different executable file, but again has no real effect. Without UAC, there are no restrictions for UI Access to bypass.

Fortunately, it's uncommon for UAC to be fully disabled on Windows 8 and later. I think disabling UAC (via EnableLUA) used to breaks apps and the Start screen. I'm not sure what effect it has on Windows 10.

In Windows 8 and later, setting UAC to "never notify" via Control Panel only turns off the notifications, not UAC itself.

The check also serves to avoid creating those context menu items on Windows XP and older.
malcev

27 May 2020, 04:40

I set UAC to "never notify" via Control Panel and as a result have got EnableLUA = 0. (Windows 10 LTSC 1809)
lexikos wrote:
27 May 2020, 04:26
Without UAC, there are no restrictions for UI Access to bypass.
There are restriction for using CreateWindowInBand function:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75695
lexikos

27 May 2020, 05:06

Putting aside the undocumented function, what effect does "Run as administrator" and "Run with UI Access" have for you with EnableLUA = 0?
lexikos

27 May 2020, 05:22

I set UAC to "never notify" via Control Panel and yet EnableLUA is still 1, on Windows 10.0.19555 (version 2004). This reaffirms my belief that the setting in Control Panel has no effect on this registry value on Windows 8 and later. Perhaps your setting is different for some other reason, or perhaps it also depends on group policy or other settings.
malcev

27 May 2020, 06:00

You are right, I think that I manually turned off UAC.
"Run as administrator" and "Run with UI Access" does nothing for me with EnableLUA = 0.
I need "Run with UI Access" only with that undocumented function.
But may be there are some others functions that need to be called with UI Access?
malcev

30 Aug 2021, 12:37

But may be there are some others functions that need to be called with UI Access?
Here it is:
When We run script with UIACCESS, then if We set +AlwaysOnTop on Gui then it automatically runs with ZBID_UIACCESS band.

Code: Select all

If !RegExMatch(DllCall("GetCommandLine", "Str"), " /restart(?!\S)")
{
   If (A_PtrSize = 8)
      RunWait "C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkeyU64_UIA.exe" /restart "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
   Else If A_IsUnicode
      RunWait "C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkeyU32_UIA.exe" /restart "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
   Else
      RunWait "C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkeyA32_UIA.exe" /restart "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
}
Gui, +HWNDhGui
Gui, Add, Text,, Please enter your name:
Gui, Add, Edit, vName hwndhEdit
Gui, Show, x0 y0
DllCall("GetWindowBand", "ptr", hGui, "uint*", band)
msgbox % band
Gui, +AlwaysOnTop
DllCall("GetWindowBand", "ptr", hGui, "uint*", band)
msgbox % band

Return to “Wish List”