Why does #include not have double quotes around literal strings? Topic is solved

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
Tigerlily

Why does #include not have double quotes around literal strings?

09 Jun 2020, 16:57

Just wondering why everywhere else in v2 literal strings must now "be written like this", however for #Include this doesn't remain consistent?

Variables must also be enclosed in %var%.

#Include Docs for v2

Just wondering why the inconsistency with this and if this is going to stay that way? I would much rather prefer to have the string enclosed in double quotes and variables not to have to be enclosed in %, however not a big deal either way... just like consistency.

Thanks for reading (*:
-TL
lexikos

Re: Why does #include not have double quotes around literal strings?  Topic is solved

09 Jun 2020, 18:32

I wrote: Directives & #Include: See Directives and expression syntax. The main reason I have not changed it is that I imagine changes to the expression parser/evaluator may supersede any "constant expression" parsing code that I write specifically for directives.
Source: [fincs] First thoughts after coming back from a long hiatus - AutoHotkey Community
Tigerlily

Re: Why does #include not have double quotes around literal strings?

15 Jun 2020, 04:19

lexikos wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 18:32
I wrote: Directives & #Include: See Directives and expression syntax. The main reason I have not changed it is that I imagine changes to the expression parser/evaluator may supersede any "constant expression" parsing code that I write specifically for directives.
Source: [fincs] First thoughts after coming back from a long hiatus - AutoHotkey Community
I suppose this makes sense. Thanks for sharing some context behind this. I agree with you that I'd much rather you spend your limited dev time fine-tuning more exciting features. As I said, this isn't much of a big deal, but seemed like an odd inconsistency and thought I should point it out and understand more fully why it is the way it is.

Thanks for all your time and dedication lex.
-TL

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”