Talk about anything
charliehailey

Re: IE's dead.

10 Nov 2020, 00:54

edge is far better than all previous IE versions, its like chrome
tidbit

10 Nov 2020, 18:30

it literally is chrom(ium). uses chromium engine. supports chrome store addons.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
Scr1pter

12 Nov 2020, 07:27

I won't miss the IE.
Never liked it and it was always the first thing I replaced after a fresh install.

Cheers!
Please use [code][/code] when posting code!
Keyboard: Logitech G PRO - Mouse: Logitech G502 LS - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - AHK version: 1.1.33.09
tidbit

12 Nov 2020, 15:31

I never understood why people uninstalled it. it just breaks IE-Based COM (not limited to just ahk) and gives you like 50mb back. and causes other potential issues.
it was a solid backup browser. boots instantly and I never had rendering issues beyond the phase webdevs went through for a few years of limiting their sites to certain browsers. Simply changing the UA proved IE could work on most of those sites. Devs were just being elitists or w/e.

Edge is now a solid backup browser and excellent for Selenium. I'd use it more but Vivaldi just offers so much more features without needing addons.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
pk23

13 Nov 2020, 16:08

tidbit wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 15:31
Vivaldi just offers so much more features without needing addons
The same reason I use CentBrowser, but god I still miss Firefox (which I had used for ~ten years until Mozilla killed old addons), FF has so many features that other browser lack of eg the recent one I've met is details.originUrl. I'm often torn between the more-diverse-extensions Chrome and more-free-and-brillant Firefox. :|
Greast

14 Nov 2020, 19:50

IE is bad!

Cons,
1. It looks so bad like the 1990's websites.
2. It's so slow, it runs in around 40 seconds (I tasted)
3. It has a bad download function.
4. It slows when you are doing something, for example trying to click on a link

Pros,
1. It's good for downloading chrome, but hard to access it.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”
― George Bernard Shaw
Greast

14 Nov 2020, 19:52

@tidbit
Firefox is a good backup browser after Chrome.

It because Chrome is fast, I tried to change it because of privacy, but I can't...
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”
― George Bernard Shaw
gregster

14 Nov 2020, 22:02

It's not really about using IE for everyday browsing.

I guess, the most relevant point for AHK is IE's COM interface which is well-documented.
Of course, in companies, there is also still a boatload of intranet applications which still run on IE components - but as I understand it, Edge will still provide an IE mode of some sort. But no idea what that actually will mean in practice.
ahk7

15 Nov 2020, 04:01

I for one, look forward to the year 2030, where people on the AutoHotkey forum ask IE & COM related questions about data entry tasks in the "ancient" legacy systems that only work with IE :)
Nextron

15 Nov 2020, 04:04

IMO the article is misinterpreting MS' blog post:
M365 will no longer support IE11 next year.
Edge will continue to be developed.
Edge legacy will stop development.
IE11 is part of W10 and will continue to be updated.

So IE's com will remain available (phew), however the numbers of compatible sites looks to be decreasing.
Greast

15 Nov 2020, 12:16

@Nextron
It will be updated up to 2021, August :/
― George Bernard Shaw
gregster

15 Nov 2020, 12:27

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/microsoft-365-apps-say-farewell-to-internet-explorer-11-and/ba-p/1591666 wrote: we want to be clear that IE 11 isn’t going away and that our customers’ own legacy IE 11 apps and investments will continue to work. Customers have made business-critical investments in IE 11 legacy apps and we respect that those apps are still functioning.

In this moment of bridging between modern and legacy apps, many customers may feel there is no choice but to rely on a two-browser workaround of using IE 11 alongside a modern browser. However, with the new Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer mode, customers don’t need an awkward workaround of one browser for some apps and another for other apps. They can standardize on one browser and seamlessly experience the best of the modern web in one tab while accessing a business-critical legacy IE 11 app in another tab – all housed within the new Microsoft Edge.
nnnik

21 Nov 2020, 03:50

tidbit wrote:boots instantly and I never had rendering issues beyond the phase webdevs went through for a few years of limiting their sites to certain browsers. Simply changing the UA proved IE could would on most of those sites. Devs were just being elitists or w/e.
for years Internet Explorer worked on a different language than java script which was close enough but not the same. At that time Internet Explorer also had a monopoly on Browsers and used their market share to force developers into developing only for their browser.
At some point though the Explorer stopped progressing on a competetive level while the Internet kept changing.
Microsoft relaxed thinking that their monopoly would pull through.
But actual useful alternatives arose. And those alternatives were not special little snowflakes but useful browsers. Internet Explorer was promptly replaced by devs and later on by end users.
We should be happy this happened or no progress would have been made with regards to the internet.

Anyways eventually Internet Explorer came around and implemented a broader java script language in IE. However that ultimately failed due to backwards compatability with their own past trash.
Edge was then started but at that point Chromes starting monopoly was already too strong and Edge wouldn't be able to compete leading us to the present switch to the Chromium engine in Edge.
Recommends AHK Studio
pk23

22 Nov 2020, 11:18

So what exactly is Chrome better than Firefox? Is the market sharing advantage because Chrome is really that good? Or just benefit from Google's promotional power?
cesped23

24 Nov 2020, 17:16

@nnnik. What is the name of the language used by Internet Explorer?
Where can I find information about it?

People who don't use Chrome, can you say why? Thanks.
tidbit

25 Nov 2020, 12:48

why not chrome:
1) google
2) google
3) it's too bare without addons
4) relies on addons
5) using too many addons is gross
6) it's not 2008 anymore, all browsers work great with all sites (except may some fringe experiment sites testing experimental features of a specific browser)
7) Vivaldi browser exists. Same devs as the original Opera before it got bought out.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
nnnik

01 Dec 2020, 00:57

cesped23 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 17:16
@nnnik. What is the name of the language used by Internet Explorer?
Where can I find information about it?

People who don't use Chrome, can you say why? Thanks.
JScript is Microsofts extended implementation of JavaScript (ECMAScript) in IE.
Actually looking it up I find conflicting information.
On one hand people say that it is indeed Javascript on the other you are warned about the differences between the 2 languages:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/135 ... Wide%20Web.
Recommends AHK Studio
nnnik

01 Dec 2020, 01:03

tidbit wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 12:48
why not chrome:
1) google
2) google
3) it's too bare without addons
4) relies on addons
5) using too many addons is gross
6) it's not 2008 anymore, all browsers work great with all sites (except may some fringe experiment sites testing experimental features of a specific browser)
7) Vivaldi browser exists. Same devs as the original Opera before it got bought out.
Well you are fundamentally wrong in several arguments.
All major browsers (except firefox) are switching to a chromium backend because maintaining performance and compatability with modern websites and their standards is an impossible task.
Chromium is in fact the engine that performs the best on most websites e. g. Microsoft resigned Edge after Youtube added an Element seemingly just to disable Edges rendering optimizations.
And I mean tbh Google gets your data anyways wether you browse with whatever browser you want or not.
Recommends AHK Studio
gregster

01 Dec 2020, 01:19

Vivaldi is also chromium-based - so I don't think that tidbit's arguments are directed against Chromium, but rather Chrome specifically.
Also, I don't see how the arguments 1-7 are fundamentally wrong - most are obviously based on personal preferences, the rest is objectively correct.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”