« What's on your mind? » Topic is solved

Talk about anything
SKAN

Re: « What's on your mind? »

17 Aug 2020, 13:56

@garry
SKAN wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 15:55
I've just moved to the newest version of EDGE in my 6yr old slower HTPC.
Its considerably faster than Chrome and seemingly uses less memory. I'm missing some of the useful chrome extensions, though.
Oh my! Tried just now. I can install Chrome extensions in Microsoft Edge :dance:
I most probably will never go back to Chrome!!!
My Scripts and Functions: V1  V2
tidbit

17 Aug 2020, 14:34

IKR. I don't get the hate for Edge. people still hate on it after it switched to chromium. People just bandwagon hate on MS products :/ It's not my main, but it is my backup, and go-to choice for Selenium because it's so fast.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
Frosti

17 Aug 2020, 15:29

hmmm, the dictionary of the Brother's Grimm counts 450.000 words (they died before fineshing its dictionary. It was finished years later.). Here's a german welt.de link.
The Duden people recorded 23.5 million German words. A large part of the words were certainly taken from other languages. There was a nice article in GEO recently on the subject. German simply allows for constant word creation. Words composed of a number of words are the main source of new words, since the stringing together makes a different sense in most cases. Until recently, the longest word in German had a total of 63 letters. However, it was removed as it was no longer needed. It was the name of a law.

"Rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz"
gregster

17 Aug 2020, 15:35

Frosti wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 15:29
"Rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz"
The DeepL translation is not perfect, but also not bad: "Bovine Identification and Beef Labelling Supervision Tasks Transfer Act"
garry

18 Aug 2020, 02:55

EDIT : I didn't see the last page / thanx for answers SKAN (browser) /tidbit/Frosti/gregster/joedf ,
was just writing about gender problems
@BoBo thank you for the links , 'man' is searching for other words , shou'ld be neutral ( german has before the substantives "die / der / das/" > "der Mann / "die Frau" / "das Mädchen" / "die Küche" / "das Haus")
it's just annoying to hear swiss-german radio , like "dear users and dear female users" ( the neutral word 'man' is not allowed , it must be something female also , like > 'man/frau' )

20200911 Gendersternchen - Wollen die Medien die Gesellschaft umerziehen? DLF radio german MP3 Audio Podcast
https://ondemand-mp3.dradio.de/file/dradio/2020/09/11/gendersternchen_wollen_die_medien_die_gesellschaft_dlf_20200911_1145_a220df4f.mp3
Last edited by garry on 17 Sep 2020, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
BoBo

18 Aug 2020, 04:07

@garry Well, that's a Swiss regulatory thing and not specific to the German language (AFAIK). And the thing is that, IMHO, the majority of people on this planet AKA women, won't support your statement that "man' ('man' vs 'Mann') is as neutral as you say it is.
In your very own private life you're still free to ignore things like "Liebe Papphocker, liebe Papphockerinnen" and simply handle it the old-fashioned way. ;)
garry

18 Aug 2020, 06:53

@BoBo Yes i can ignore it and the radio broadcast is 40 seconds longer , but no problem ... :)
garry

25 Aug 2020, 02:37

again something old-news ....
https://www.the-postillon.com/2018/07/rewind-videos.html#more
The Postillon: YouTube to require users to rewind videos after watching

YouTube is asking its users to be a bit more considerate.
The video portal announced that, in future, users who do not rewind videos after watching them will be penalised by being temporarily blocked from the site.
These users thus risk not being able to watch any more videos for several days.
jballi

25 Aug 2020, 15:25

garry wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 02:37
again something old-news ....
https://www.the-postillon.com/2018/07/rewind-videos.html#more
The Postillon: YouTube to require users to rewind videos after watching

YouTube is asking its users to be a bit more considerate.
The video portal announced that, in future, users who do not rewind videos after watching them will be penalised by being temporarily blocked from the site.
These users thus risk not being able to watch any more videos for several days.
I never rewind. I'm not about to put any of the 84,000 professional rewinders out of work. My Aunt Susan is one of those rewinders. It is one of the few jobs that you can do from home. You can set your own hours. 6 hours one day, 10 hour another, weekends only, and so on. I don't care if YouTube bans me for it. It's only temporary. I watch too much YouTube anyway. Just think of the thousands of ads I won't have to watch!
boiler

25 Aug 2020, 15:37

Not only do I not rewind, I don’t even bother to return them. I just let the late fees pile up. They don’t even ban me because they’re afraid they’ll never get their videos back.
joedf

25 Aug 2020, 18:07

They don’t even ban me because they’re afraid they’ll never get their videos back.
wow ahhaha nice, didnt even think of that :lol:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
BoBo

07 Sep 2020, 04:00

Weren't sure to leave a comment about a comment commenting video. But hey, so what. Leave a comment.
:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_ytyt9sf8 ; &t=21m52s ; similar to my 'noobishy' commenting style

Probably worth a look as well :arrow: Click me (found while google'ing around :mrgreen:)

So my feelings about comments in CLEAN CODE are:
1) Comments should only say what the code is incapable of saying
2) Comments that repeat (or pre-state) what the code is doing must be removed.
3) If the code CAN say what the comment is saying, it must be changed at least until rule #2 is in force.

In bad code, the only rule is "don't let your code be/stay bad."

https://disqus.com/by/tim_ottinger/

https://www.till-biskup.de/_media/de/lehre/programmierkonzepte/ws2017/13/pcv-programmierkonzepte-13.pdf (German)
gx240

07 Sep 2020, 12:15

tidbit wrote:
IKR. I don't get the hate for Edge. people still hate on it after it switched to chromium. People just bandwagon hate on MS products :/ It's not my main, but it is my backup, and go-to choice for Selenium because it's so fast.
Hey Tidbit, are you the same person as "polyethene" and "Titan" from the old AHK forums? I'm trying to find an old file that he posted years ago that's now just a dead link, and after some Googling I think you might be the same person? (I would have sent you a private message, but I'm banned from doing that.)
Xtra

07 Sep 2020, 13:08

lol @ @tidbit
tidbit

07 Sep 2020, 14:29

Wow... people still get confused by this all these years later.
No I am not. I am tidbit. Not tank, or TLM either (people seem to think I am them too xD. I guess anyone starting with a 't' and is admin = tidbit)
Unfortunately I do not have that file either. it /might/ be in here: https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3216

and while I'm clearing up names:
it's lexikos, not Lexicos.
it's also AutoHotkey not AutoHotKey
gx240 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 12:15
tidbit wrote:
Hey Tidbit, are you the same person as "polyethene" and "Titan" from the old AHK forums? I'm trying to find an old file that he posted years ago that's now just a dead link, and after some Googling I think you might be the same person? (I would have sent you a private message, but I'm banned from doing that.)
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
jballi

07 Sep 2020, 20:43

I am horrible with names in real life. Online is even worse for me.

I have been on this site for many years but if you asked me to name as many online names as I could, I might be able to remember 4 or 5. If you put a bunch of names in front of me, I would do better but I couldn't attach a personality, skill set, or much of anything else to most of the names. I would just be able to recognize the name. But even then, I couldn't guarantee that the spelling was correct.

Interaction doesn't help much. I can have an impassioned conversation with someone or even work on a small project with them and after it is over, I can usually remember the activity but I usually can't remember who it was with. Well, not with any certainty. Sometimes it only takes a few days for the disassociation to occur. Sometimes it takes a week or two. Please don't take it personally. It's not you, it's me.
BoBo

08 Sep 2020, 03:14

@jballi ... so I have a deja-vu (sort of) once I see your name/nick. TBH, I've never ever been to Bali :lol:

Regarding Lexicos vs Lexikos. I'd guess that 'abuse'/mixup is related to your cultural background. Germanic languages using 'k' far more often as 'c' (while it's pronounced the same way), i.e. in German: 'Lexikon/Lexika' (Engl. encyclopedia/dictionary/lexicon)
AutoHotkey vs AutoHotKey
Not that difficult to master: AutoHotkey = AH, AutoHotKey = AHK. Now let's guess why people use it the 'wrong' way :shh:
garry

18 Sep 2020, 12:21

Tuesday, 15 September 2020
The value of X to be fixed at 5 once and for all

https://www.the-postillon.com/2017/04/value-of-x.html
Bonn (dpo) - This news is guaranteed to delight maths grouches all over the world!
Determining the value of x is the goal in countless mathematical problems and now the world-renowned Max Planck Institute for Mathematics has finally fixed it at 5 exactly.

=====================================================================================================================================================

Last edited by garry on 18 Sep 2020, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”