Shall we have an official AHK channel without Ops and rules?

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website

Should there be an official AHK irc-channel without Ops and rules?

Poll ended at 27 Oct 2013, 10:55

Yes, there should also be 2nd official channel without Ops and rules. 20% [ 2 ]
No votes
No, there should be only one official channel and it should have Ops and rules. 80% [ 8 ]
100%

Total votes: 15
kidbit

Shall we have an official AHK channel without Ops and rules?

25 Oct 2013, 10:55

I've recently had conversation with tank in which I'm trying to convince him that AHK community should have an irc channel without Ops and rules, where no one could be muted/kicked/banned and where people would regulate the life on that channel with their own private ignore-lists, not the channel Ops.

I think it should be us, plain users, who have our own heads to decide what's beyond the line for ourselves and what is not.

The results of this poll would better help both of us (me and tank) to understand the needs of the community.

Please, participate in the poll and provide your arguments pro/cons having such a channel.

p.s.: I don't say that it should be the only channel and I completely don't mind having a 2nd official channel with Ops and rules. I just think that it's nice to actually have a choice.

EDIT: tank said that #AHKScripts are to be official for the forum.
Last edited by kidbit on 25 Oct 2013, 15:41, edited 4 times in total.
question := (2b) || !(2b) © Shakespeare.
tank

Re: Shall we have an official AHK channel without Ops and ru

25 Oct 2013, 11:14

My only arguement is over the use or representation that it is an "official" channel. one that specifically represents this community. I am entirely in favor of someone advertising a norules/ops channel within these boards, just not in an official "we represent the community" way.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 11:17

tank, that topic doesn't anyhow concern my channel.
It's only about the idea of having the official channel(s) for this community.
And whether it's a good idea to have 2 of them (so that 1 could be without Ops and rules) or not.
Last edited by kidbit on 25 Oct 2013, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
tank

25 Oct 2013, 11:18

#AHKScripts are to be official for the forum.
Check Out WebWriter
kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 11:25

based on the new info provided by tank I've edited the poll, please re-vote.
tank

25 Oct 2013, 11:43

im not even saying only one official channel. Im saying that channels that have some sort of official context or supported by the community should have rules and ops. others are welcomed but not as official representations.

think about it this way:
iif a insurance agent misrepresents a policy he sells its the insurance company thats liable for potential damages because the insurance agent OFFICIALLY represents the company.

however

if your best friend tells you to get some insurance policy you may very well get it but the insurance company is not responsible for misrepresentations. you are

in the exact same way i am saying that a channel endorsed as official to represent this community should be held to the same rules as this forum.

whereas a fun place to hang out doesnt represent anyone and can operate with impunity or risk of misrepresenting the community at large.

lets look at it one more andmuch more extreme way
what if this no rules channel was used to plan a criminal act or something equally repulsive. should such behaviors reflect uppon the community?

No

By making it unofficial we are absolving ourselves of responsibility for the actions that occur.
Check Out WebWriter
smorgasbord

25 Oct 2013, 11:53

That is nice, as every post seen in the #ahk channel does not conform to the rules etc.,

Secondly mods always had and will always continue to have upper hand or levity which means that though they can chat about anywhich thing but the same is not the case with users they might get kicked/banned etc.

if you want to talk only ahk or related stuff u have #ahk & #ahkscript but what if you have some other thing to talk about, or may be u want to ask something but as per rules you cannot beg for code, i read it many times from a moderator also i cannot draw the line between begging for code or seeking for help, and as such i dont see any point in joining the ahk channel because as per rules i cannot ask for code there in because i might be mistaken for begging, which i would rather hate to be interpreted upon as such and would rather not even ask for any which thing in the first place.

So i vote YES!

I agree with tank related to the word "official".

SO Which means on this #.ahk channel we can talk about anything from alpha to omega, related to ahk or otherwise, just anywhich thingy at all...if u dont like someone posts just /ignore him/her

Sometime back i reverted to ahk-social channel for asking for help but then again they said it is better to ask in the main channel and the cycle continued.

So i completely quit joining both #ahk or #ahkscript

So i need a place to ask for help and kidbit helps like anything in the .ahk channel.
John ... you working ?
kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 11:58

tank wrote:im not even saying only one official channel.
Well, you probably mean that you'll also create something like #ahkscript-social for off-topic chats.
I think it's useless, since the long-known #ahk always consisted of the off-topic for 99%, which makes me believe that #ahkscript will also be the same (since, there will be the same users that currently are on the authoritarian #ahk.

It would be nice, if you'd mean something like having a 2nd channel with democracy, where, say, only the results of the polls on this forum would promote someone to the Op of that channel (or demote, if the crowd demands so).
tank wrote:think about it this way:
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to discuss your example, since it has nothing to do with the topic and is not anyhow parallel to what we discuss here.
If there would be an official channel without Ops and rules - all it would mean that anyone who enters that channel is aware that EVERYTHING is possible to happen there: people may write whatever words even extremely offensive ones, they may troll you to commit a suicide or they may do none of this and just help you with your problems without being scared to say "rtfm" not as an acronym to you when you ask TOO silly questions, which are directly explained in the manual, for example.
My position is to let people regulate the channel.
I believe the inadequate people will just be put to ignore by users and that's way bigger punishment to be ignored by everyone than to be just blocked by some specific persons (Ops), who may actually do this unjustly, by the way.
AfterLemon

25 Oct 2013, 12:24

What I am saying is that you are claiming to be allowed to do anything simply because that would be the basis of the channel, but there ARE rules, whether put into force by AutoHotkey forums, ahkscript forums, IRC channel, or freenode. Choose your ruleset, they all disallow the things you are fond of doing. And yes, please, go to the freenode volunteers and tell them of my treachery.

I welcome it.
guest3456

25 Oct 2013, 12:57

sounds like kidbit is an ___ and doesn't want to change to fit in, but instead he wants everyone else to change to accomodate him
I wont allow it from kidbit i cant allow name calling from you either ~tank

kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 13:03

all right, when I exposed some screenshots of our private conversation with tank - someone suddenly started censoring this thread and removing my posts.
Way to go, staff.
The poll is now being canceled.
tank

25 Oct 2013, 13:04

I have split the topic with the comments about peoples character weather tru or not to offtopic. this conversation is about the role of a so called no rules channel.
If it happens again i shall lock this topic and delete recurrances of it. keep the conversation limited to the oucome of the vote. Kidbits character is not the subject
Check Out WebWriter
tank

25 Oct 2013, 13:06

I already said character assasination will not be allowed to continue in this thread. and i warned and censored a post calling you names.
I have locked this topic untill your temper cools
Check Out WebWriter
tank

25 Oct 2013, 14:46

I am re opening this thread so that relavant conversation about channels can be had. there will be no more assaults on character. this thread is not about kidbit and the question in the origional post of this thread has value

Should there be an official AHK irc-channel without Ops and rules?

Yes, there should also be 2nd official channel without Ops and rules. 20% [ 2 ]
No, there should be only one official channel and it should have Ops and rules. 80% [ 8 ]
Check Out WebWriter
kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 15:42

this poll makes no any further sense, since it won't affect any decisions. All the decisions are already made, just hail tank, our beloved commander and god!
tank

25 Oct 2013, 15:56

well ill leave it open anyway because i do want to see the communities oppinion I am sorry it isnt going the way you wanted.
Check Out WebWriter
Alibaba

25 Oct 2013, 16:01

An "official" channel without rules/ops would be like this forum, not having any rules or mods...

It's simply not possible to call such a thing "official"...
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
kidbit

25 Oct 2013, 16:05

you are not sorry and you don't actually give a shield about the opinion of the community.
+ seems like people are voting "no" simply because they had never been bullied by the ops/staff, so your terrorizing tactics will do you good, since you actually bully the ones, while the dozens remain kettle, because they don't see how it concerns them.
I'm proud of you, you are a good leader: you know how to press people.
jethrow

26 Oct 2013, 00:45

Why not create a channel called the bathroom wall. We can write all the nasty crap we want to about other folks.

Sorry if my post is irrelevant - I guess I just feel left out that nobody is slandering me ... almost makes me want the good ol days when tank was a jacka$$ and everyone wanted to slap him. This being polite & responsible crap is apparently just making people upset [heavy sarcasm intended]
... i cannot draw the line between begging for code or seeking for help ...
Those begging for code typically show no effort to create the code themselves. Sometimes they even say statements such as please write this code for me. They typically don't appreciate someone trying to help them write the code for themselves because they want someone else to write it for them.
Those seeking help typically come with code they have tried. Typically they are respectful & appreciate any kind of help they receive.

Here is an example of someone who was simply wanting code, but I mistakenly though they were asking for help: http://www.ahkscript.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=182

Return to “About This Community”