Suggestions about program sharing site? Softopedia?

Talk about anything
dangerdogL2121

Suggestions about program sharing site? Softopedia?

28 Oct 2013, 00:09

As you might know, I would like to share my programs and open them to the public. I have a collection of seven programs now that I think are worthy of sharing with the community.
I have tried dropbox, and its pretty good.
But I see that other AHKers have used Softopedia, such AHKers like Pulover, and others I believe. Is it a good website to share programs from? Do it cost money to get a "programmer" account. I would like to get these answers before I mess around with it.
Maybe I should start my own website. That would be the preferable option. But I think it might cost money to get a site that programs can be downloaded from.
thanks in advance for the advice
Pulover

Re: Suggestions about program sharing site? Softopedia?

28 Oct 2013, 08:33

Hello dangerdogL2121,

Softpedia is a good and respected software website indeed. It may sound strange but it wasn't me who added my software there, I suppose someone from the staff found it or some user recommended it. You may try to contact them and ask for a review, send a good description of the program, some screenshots and highlights. They're very responsible people and usually the page is updated one day after I release a new version. They even took several screenshots and updated all of them when I released version 4, with a new interface.

I can't say the same from CNET, unfortunately. Someone added my app there and despite my numerous attempts to inform about updates they never bothered to answer or update the page with a newer version.

Like I did you can have your own website to share your work too. Hosting is not expensive (you can get one for free or for something like US$6,00 per month), it won't cost you more to have your programs downloaded from there.
You can get your private domain too. The price for a domain will vary, it depends on where you buy it, you should search around.

And with platforms like wordpress you can set up a nice website with little effort.

Hope it helps.
Rodolfo U. Batista
Pulover's Macro Creator - Automation Tool (Recorder & Script Writer)
dangerdogL2121

28 Oct 2013, 13:30

So others can put your program on Softopedia for you? Can the programmer put his program on softopedia himself?

None of my programs can compare to yours. They do have some usefulness, but I don't think they have enough usefullness to justify a website. I do not have a job(not that old yet), and I would rather not try to convince my parents to get a website, so that knocks out that idea for now.
I will consider my options more and make more scripts.
thank you very much for your advice Pulover
Pulover

28 Oct 2013, 16:53

dangerdogL2121 wrote:So others can put your program on Softopedia for you? Can the programmer put his program on softopedia himself?
That I don't know... sorry.
dangerdogL2121 wrote:None of my programs can compare to yours. They do have some usefulness, but I don't think they have enough usefullness to justify a website. I do not have a job(not that old yet), and I would rather not try to convince my parents to get a website, so that knocks out that idea for now.
I will consider my options more and make more scripts.
thank you very much for your advice Pulover
You still have plenty of options that won't cost you a penny. There are some free hosting services like hostinger, but for your case you could set up a blog on wordpress or blogger for example.
Wordpress offers limited options of themes and features but you can have a blog running within minutes. On the other side with Blogger/Blogspot you can customize most anything in the layout. I don't know about storage space on those sites but you can always use dropbox or similar to store your files.
Another option for developers of open source is GitHub. You can set up a static website using pre-made templates and mark-down language, and store your executables or zip files there too.

If you think your apps would be useful to people I'd say it's worth creating at least a simple page to share them. Even if it's just somewhere you can gather them together with descriptions and screenshots. After all it's your work and you might want to create more complex programs in the future!
Rodolfo U. Batista
Pulover's Macro Creator - Automation Tool (Recorder & Script Writer)
dangerdogL2121

29 Oct 2013, 00:10

You still have plenty of options that won't cost you a penny. There are some free hosting services like hostinger, but for your case you could set up a blog on wordpress or blogger for example.
Wordpress offers limited options of themes and features but you can have a blog running within minutes. On the other side with Blogger/Blogspot you can customize most anything in the layout. I don't know about storage space on those sites but you can always use dropbox or similar to store your files.
Wow, I didn't know of all these options!

Another option for developers of open source is GitHub. You can set up a static website using pre-made templates and mark-down language, and store your executables or zip files there too.
So its possible to make a make-shift website with GitHub?

Thanks again for your great advice
Avi

29 Oct 2013, 04:06

dangerdogL2121 wrote:Can the programmer put his program on softopedia himself?
You will have to send a review request to Softpedia ( link : http://www.softpedia.com/user/submit.shtml ) . They will add it to their database if they consider it suitable. I recommend first creating a site (preferably github) for your programs and then sending Softpedia the review request. This will make them scroll through your site and look for more suitable programs that may like to be added.
Writes at Dev Letters

Clipjump Clipboard Manager : More Scripts (updated 2019)

DataLife

29 Oct 2013, 08:03

A couple more options.

Do it with Dropbox like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... index.html

Do it with Webs.com like this http://cccrs.webs.com/

Both options stores the files on dropbox.
Both options are totally free.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Avi

29 Oct 2013, 10:21

DataLife wrote:A couple more options.

Do it with Dropbox like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... index.html

Does webs.com really store files on Dropbox ? There's no mention in the Features page . If it does, it would be awesome .. I have tried another pancakeapps.com which also stores files on dropbox but it isn't that good .
Writes at Dev Letters

DataLife

29 Oct 2013, 11:08

Avi wrote:Does webs.com really store files on Dropbox ? There's no mention in the Features page . If it does, it would be awesome .. I have tried another pancakeapps.com which also stores files on dropbox but it isn't that good .
No, the files are stored in my dropbox account.
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Avi

29 Oct 2013, 23:07

DataLife wrote:
Avi wrote:Does webs.com really store files on Dropbox ? There's no mention in the Features page . If it does, it would be awesome .. I have tried another pancakeapps.com which also stores files on dropbox but it isn't that good .
Sorry but isn't it the same thing . I created a site on webs.com but was dissapointed with their template-based sites and the 'what seems compulsory' online webpage editor.
Writes at Dev Letters

DataLife

30 Oct 2013, 00:30

Avi wrote: Sorry but isn't it the same thing .
What do you mean?
I am the one storing files on dropbox not webs.com. I just put links to my files in my dropbox account on my webs.com webpage.
RijulAhuja

30 Oct 2013, 01:49

Avi wrote:
DataLife wrote:
Sorry but isn't it the same thing . I created a site on webs.com but was dissapointed with their template-based sites and the 'what seems compulsory' online webpage editor.
+1
Avi

30 Oct 2013, 04:08

DataLife wrote:
Avi wrote: Sorry but isn't it the same thing .
What do you mean?
I am the one storing files on dropbox not webs.com. I just put links to my files in my dropbox account on my webs.com webpage.
Thanks, I understand now . That means what users see for the files on dropbox is 'http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/232323223/some.html' and not 'http://custom.webs.com/some.html' .
Writes at Dev Letters

DataLife

30 Oct 2013, 07:37

Avi wrote: I created a site on webs.com but was dissapointed with their template-based sites and the 'what seems compulsory' online webpage editor.
Do you know of any free hosting websites that have an easy to use and less quirky behavior webpage editor then webs.com?
dangerdogL2121

30 Oct 2013, 21:55

Hey guys, I have a question: How much traffic do your websites get? They must get at least some.
thanks
joedf

31 Oct 2013, 00:45

Well i dont release much... But on softpedia
They've added my ufcpp and IPc (ip checker) ...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... FCPP.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-To ... /IPc.shtml

Regards
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
dangerdogL2121

31 Oct 2013, 22:28

Hmm, I tried ucfpp, downloaded it, extracted it, and ran it, but nothing happened.
dangerdogL2121

11 Nov 2013, 23:40

A couple more options.

I believe webs has a 30 day trial period, then, one has to start paying for their website. I thought I saw it on their terms of service.
thanks

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”