Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
xZomBie

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

25 Feb 2015, 23:31

You're welcome. I've been facing this problem lately. When I use the /exit command, Columbus freezes, I can't even use the Exit in the tray menu. I don't know why this happened but when I changed ExitApp to Process, Close, Columbus.exe in the Exit command, Columbus closes immediately without any problems. Is the Uninstall command coming back any time soon? I really need it sometimes when I used a computer other than my own. Thanks.
runie

26 Feb 2015, 13:55

xZomBie wrote:You're welcome. I've been facing this problem lately. When I use the /exit command, Columbus freezes, I can't even use the Exit in the tray menu. I don't know why this happened but when I changed ExitApp to Process, Close, Columbus.exe in the Exit command, Columbus closes immediately without any problems. Is the Uninstall command coming back any time soon? I really need it sometimes when I used a computer other than my own. Thanks.
Wow, I can see you actually read the changenotes and use the features that are "hidden" :D.. Very cool knowing I have users like you consistently using the program :D

I'll also look into the /exit issue

I'll implement the /uninstall command now and get the next update out within the day (hopefully).

/
Run1e
runie

26 Feb 2015, 15:21

0.54:
- put the notify() function into a proper class (Tray.Tip())
- /reset refreshes the list now
- /g and /w re-implemented (requested by Paweł Borecki)
- /uninstall re-implemented (requested by xZomBie)
xZomBie

27 Feb 2015, 01:58

Thank you for this amazing launcher. I hope that you can create more programs as awesome as this one! :D
runie

02 Mar 2015, 08:36

xZomBie wrote:Thank you for this amazing launcher. I hope that you can create more programs as awesome as this one! :D
I doubt I'll get enough motivation to create something like Columbus again. Columbus is easily my biggest and most complicated program :D
I will however try to build upon what Columbus is, trying to make it a bit better one update at a time. I also try to listen to the little feedback I do get about it and see what can be done ;)
runie

04 Apr 2015, 05:07

0.55:
- The Hotkeys can be completely removed now (leave the hotkey field blank in the settings menu)
- Small changes
- Version number incremented
runie

10 Apr 2015, 07:38

0.57:
- Removed hotkeys doesn't reset after reload/restart now
- /bug removed, redundant as it's in the traymenu
- If you use as an .ahk, it will download the icon and use it now (which is nice)
- Horizontal scroll bar in the /docs mode fixed (removed)
- Other small convenient fixes
-- Note: All the commands still work, they have just been removed from the list!

0.56:
- List didn't update with new list ordering after launching a program (re-ordering based on popularity)
- You can change how often the program scans the registry in the settings menu
- /about added
- /mail removed and added to the about gui
- /tips removed
- Some changes in how the window toggling works
- Main GUI is always on top (+AlwaysOnTop flag)
- Small changes
fischgeek

10 Apr 2015, 09:17

Nice work on the script. I like your UI style. One question/feature request though. Is there a way to add a folder to the list (like the current drag and drop feature), but also have all of that folder's contents added to the quick search too? I would love to add my autohotkey "playground" folder and be able to quickly search that without opening Windows Explorer.

Thanks again. Didn't think I was going to use it when I tried it out, but I find myself using it more and more.

Edit. I see this has already been requested. My only change is that you don't limit it to just .exe extensions but rather give the user the capability to include their own list of extensions or for the time being allow .ahk as well. If you're not up for it, can I get the source and maybe I can tweak it - the link on the front page only shows your update log, no source.

Thanks!
runie

10 Apr 2015, 15:03

0.58:
- "Sort by popularity" option can be toggled in the settings menu
- - Puts the most frequently launched programs on top in the list
runie

10 Apr 2015, 15:05

fischgeek wrote:Nice work on the script. I like your UI style. One question/feature request though. Is there a way to add a folder to the list (like the current drag and drop feature), but also have all of that folder's contents added to the quick search too? I would love to add my autohotkey "playground" folder and be able to quickly search that without opening Windows Explorer.

Thanks again. Didn't think I was going to use it when I tried it out, but I find myself using it more and more.

Edit. I see this has already been requested. My only change is that you don't limit it to just .exe extensions but rather give the user the capability to include their own list of extensions or for the time being allow .ahk as well. If you're not up for it, can I get the source and maybe I can tweak it - the link on the front page only shows your update log, no source.

Thanks!
Hey, nice hearing that you find the program useful, even when trying it with the assumption that you weren't really going to use it :D

What you're asking for isn't currently implemented but I'm considering figuring out something like this since it seems to be a popular request. It isn't really how Columbus works (it searches though a premade list, it does not directly search directories).

I pasted the changelog into the source code page by mistake, it should be fixed now. It would be easier to just update Columbus to v0.58 now as .ahk (type /update or select "Check for Updates" in the traymenu and check for .ahk).

Also, the GuiDropFiles function isn't limited to just exe files, you can add anything you want. It's just that adding ahk files adds the AutoHotkey.exe file, not the ahk file itself.

Thanks for the feedback!

/
Run1e
fischgeek

10 Apr 2015, 15:32

Run1e wrote:I pasted the changelog into the source code page by mistake, it should be fixed now.

Thank you.
Run1e wrote:It would be easier to just update Columbus to v0.58 now as .ahk (type /update or select "Check for Updates" in the traymenu and check for .ahk).
Tried that. No updates available.
Run1e wrote:Also, the GuiDropFiles function isn't limited to just exe files, you can add anything you want. It's just that adding ahk files adds the AutoHotkey.exe file, not the ahk file itself.
Yes, however, the reason for this is to stay away from Windows Explorer and just use your script. It's unrealistic to have me go through and drag all my files into this. Here's what I've been doing:

Code: Select all

FileSelectFolder, targetDir,,, Select a folder to add .ahk files to Columbus
if (ErrorLevel)
	ExitApp
Loop, %targetDir%\*.ahk,, 1
{
	if (A_LoopFileExt != "ahk")
		continue
	IniWrite, %A_LoopFileFullPath%, %A_AppData%\Columbus\items.ini, %A_LoopFileName%, dir
	IniWrite, C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\Compiler\Ahk2Exe.exe, %A_AppData%\Columbus\items.ini, %A_LoopFileName%, icon
}
runie

10 Apr 2015, 15:49

fischgeek wrote:Tried that. No updates available.
Really? Please try it again. If it doesn't work please try the following:

type:
/set debug 1
/update
A debugging window should appear, after trying /update it should tell you what went wrong if something did. Would be interesing to hear what's happening. To remove the window:
/set debug 0
/reload

Thanks.

Columbus was made to be a program launcher, not a program to keep track of libraries or folder contents. It can probably be made to do this, but I will need some time to think about how this can be implemented smoothly :)

/
Run1e
fischgeek

10 Apr 2015, 16:43

Run1e wrote:Columbus was made to be a program launcher, not a program to keep track of libraries or folder contents. It can probably be made to do this, but I will need some time to think about how this can be implemented smoothly :)
I'm not looking to keep track of libraries. I'm just looking for a quick way to launch my scripts; ones I don't use very often, but need on occasion. My implementation works for adding .ahk files to your launcher, and I've created a scanner to keep the ini up to date as well. This all works smoothly for me, just need it in the script -- Thanks for the source btw! I'll send you my implementation if you're interested.
runie

10 Apr 2015, 16:47

fischgeek wrote:
Run1e wrote:Columbus was made to be a program launcher, not a program to keep track of libraries or folder contents. It can probably be made to do this, but I will need some time to think about how this can be implemented smoothly :)
I'm not looking to keep track of libraries. I'm just looking for a quick way to launch my scripts; ones I don't use very often, but need on occasion. My implementation works for adding .ahk files to your launcher, and I've created a scanner to keep the ini up to date as well. This all works smoothly for me, just need it in the script -- Thanks for the source btw! I'll send you my implementation if you're interested.
Yeah I'll take a look at the code if you wanna send them to me.

Edit: going to bed though, will check tomorrow

/
Run1e

15 Apr 2015, 01:14

I really like this script but I keep having problems with losing shortcuts. Unfortunately that makes it too unreliable for daily use.

I can add a shortcut. Verify that it is there. Next day when I restart my computer some of the recently added shortcuts are gone... not all, some

Any idea what that could be?
runie

15 Apr 2015, 10:58

Guest wrote:I really like this script but I keep having problems with losing shortcuts. Unfortunately that makes it too unreliable for daily use.

I can add a shortcut. Verify that it is there. Next day when I restart my computer some of the recently added shortcuts are gone... not all, some

Any idea what that could be?
Hi.

Yes, I might have an idea what might cause this. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues.

If you would like to help, please do the following:

1. Download this test version of Columbus: http://runie.me/dl/Columbus_test.exe
2. If you have Columbus running, stop it now.
2. Start the exe you downloaded, a debug window will appear.
3. Add the programs you were having problems with disappearing.
4. Type /reload in Columbus or restart the Columbus test version.
5. In the debug window, it will say "WORKED! ..." if the test worked.
6. Please send me the contents of the columbus_debug.txt file created on your desktop.

If you have any questions or it doesn't work please let me know.

Thanks in advance, hope you can help me sort this bug out :)

/
Run1e

16 Apr 2015, 02:23

I downloaded the test build and ran it.
everything works fine (as before) until I close and restart .
then they are gone again...

The debug file was as follows:

Everything
dir: C:\Users\SELUMJNE\Desktop\ARBETE\99 PROGRAM\Everything.exe
ico:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)
dir: msiexec.exe
ico:

JEEVES SEI
dir: C:\Jeeves\v3.0.3t\Client\Jvs32Client.exe C:\Jeeves\Ini\ThinClientLundSU01_v303t.ini
ico:

JEEVES CP
dir: C:\Jeeves\v3.0.3t\Client\Jvs32Client.exe C:\Jeeves\Ini\ThinClientLundOMCP_v303t.ini
ico:

JEEVES CF
dir: C:\Jeeves\v3.0.3t\Client\Jvs32Client.exe C:\Jeeves\Ini\ThinClientLundOMCF_v303t.ini
ico:

JEEVES SP
dir: C:\Jeeves\v3.0.3t\Client\Jvs32Client.exe C:\Jeeves\Ini\ThinClientLundTI01_v303t.ini
ico:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)
dir: msiexec.exe
ico:
runie

17 Apr 2015, 14:38

I have some debugging to do on an unrelated part of the program. After that I'll push the update and it'll work for you ;)
runie

18 Apr 2015, 05:51

0.59:
- Whitelist toggle added to the manager!
- Manager also shows how many times you've started a program
- Settings.Verify added (you can disable program verification completely)
- - use the (/set <key> <value>) command to change this.
- CTRL+Z functionality fixed
- /w command fixed
- If a freq counter is missing for an item, it will create one in the ini file
- Changed default height from 425 to 350 and changed the minimal window size a bit
- /run added

0.58:
- "Sort by popularity" option can be toggled in the settings menu
- - Puts the most frequently launched programs on top in the list
runie

18 Apr 2015, 06:05

Guest wrote:I downloaded the test build and ran it.
everything works fine (as before) until I close and restart .
then they are gone again...

The debug file was as follows: ...
Download the latest version of Columbus here and it should work now.

Edit: if it still doesn't work, you can type "/set verify 0" to completely disable the file verification.

/
Run1e

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”