Forum upgraded to phpBB v3.1.x

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
geek

Re: Forum upgraded to phpBB v3.1.x

11 May 2015, 09:32

Since someone seems to have actually implemented my online banner changes, I want to point out that they also look bizarre on mobile. Might want to stick them into a media query
dmatch

11 May 2015, 09:45

Doesn't look much like the old forum. Much brighter and harder on the eyes in my opinion. Fonts smaller than before and harder for my old eyes to read. Why do upgrades have to effect the look so much? The old look was one of many reasons I liked this forum better than the bright white of the other forum. At least there is still not a lot of wasted screen space.

dmatch
geek

11 May 2015, 09:49

I don't think the brightness or font sizes have changed significantly. If you want it to be larger you could zoom in a little (control-plus)
dmatch

11 May 2015, 10:11

"significantly". Quite a bit of difference to me. The main body was more like the darker background is now.

Yeah, I can zoom.

dmatch
tic

11 May 2015, 10:24

All looks really good. Thanks for the work!
vasili111

11 May 2015, 12:58

I found two themes like subSilver2 (before upgrade default theme) for PHPbb 3.1.x:

A subSilver2 inspired design for phpBB 3.1. Tableless subSilver phpBB theme that's also responsive and mobile friendly.
http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-sty ... llan-style

Also second variant is here: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13793401

I personally like subSilver2 theme more than other themes including current ones. With subSilver2 it is much easier to read forum, less pain for eyes.
What you think, maybe it is better to install one of them and use as default theme? :)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
vasili111

11 May 2015, 13:09

Mod for large images https://github.com/DavidIQ/phpBB-ReIMG-Image-Resizer currently only zooms images to fit screen. In previous forums it was zooming to actual image size. I think there should be some option to make it to zoom to actual image size. Please if possible make it to zoom on click to actual image size.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
lexikos

11 May 2015, 16:41

Randy31416 wrote:is there a way for me, a user, to tell this forum software to not use popups?
Get GreaseMonkey, create a script for the forum and add this:

Code: Select all

$('dt[title*="nread posts"]').removeAttr('title');
$('a.forumtitle').unbind('mouseenter mouseleave');
lexikos

11 May 2015, 17:06

dmatch wrote:Much brighter and harder on the eyes in my opinion.
I find it easier on the eyes. Perhaps because there are less unnecessary lines/borders.
Fonts smaller than before and harder for my old eyes to read.
If the archive forum is anything to go by, the font size is actually larger now - 13px instead of 12px - but the font is different. Verdana is bigger.
Why do upgrades have to effect the look so much?
There's no subsilver2 theme for phpBB 3.1, as far as I'm aware.
The main body was more like the darker background is now.
I think you're mistaken, if the archive forum is anything to go by. The brightness difference is 2%. The darker background here is about 7% darker than posts there, though it's actually not a plain colour but a pattern with varying shades.
vasili111 wrote:I found two themes like subSilver2
As I noted elsewhere, the 'Allan Style' theme is based quite different to the actual subsilver2. As for your second link,
bonelifer wrote:I should note that subsilver2 doesn't have many of the new features added to prosilver
dmatch

11 May 2015, 17:35

lexikos wrote:
dmatch wrote:The main body was more like the darker background is now.
I think you're mistaken, if the archive forum is anything to go by. The brightness difference is 2%. .....
Yes, I see is not much different. I was a little taken aback by the nearly white of the "New Posts" page, which is quite bright overall, and I had a flashback to that other forum and its devolution. :crazy:

dmatch
guest3456

11 May 2015, 18:34

For me the new forum is harder on the eyes in general. Its definitely brighter. The white quote boxes are horrible on my eyes, lol. I do like the alternating colors for each subsequent post in the archive forum. All easily fixed for me:

@dmatch:
You can override the style of the forum however you want, just requires some CSS coding. Install the "Stylish" plugin for chrome. Then you can "Write a style for __thissite__"

Here's what I've got:

Code: Select all

.bg1 {
  background-color: #dee3e7;
}

.bg2 {
  background-color: #ececec;
}

.content {
  font-family: Verdana;
}

.codebox_plus_header{
  background-color: #ececec;
}

blockquote {
  background-color: #dbdbdb;   /* was #fff */
  padding-bottom: 8px;
  padding-left: 8px;
  margin-top: 15px;
  margin-bottom: 15px;
}

blockquote cite {
  font-size: 10px;      /* was 12px */
  margin-bottom: 5px;  /* previously undefined */
}

blockquote blockquote {
  background-color: rgba(196, 196, 196, 0.5)   /* last param was previously 0.1 */
}
And here's how it looks:

lexikos

11 May 2015, 21:02

dmatch wrote:I was a little taken aback by the nearly white of the "New Posts" page, which is quite bright overall,
guest3456 wrote:Its definitely brighter. The white quote boxes are horrible on my eyes, lol.
I think both of you are either seeing something completely different to what I'm seeing, or you're imagining things. The "New Posts" page on the Simplicity theme is like the topic listing, with light grey rows and darker grey background. If you compare that to the archive forum, the rows are only 2% darker and have a white background. Overall the archive forum is brighter, but maybe the dark background here gives the illusion of the light grey being even lighter.

Also, on the archive forum, quote boxes have white backgrounds the same as they do here, but the text is grey.
guest3456 wrote:For me the new forum is harder on the eyes in general.
The font is a little harder to read, but other than that, I disagree.
joedf

11 May 2015, 21:31

I've installed darker themes : Digi (Dark Blue) and PBTech (just for fun)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
geek

11 May 2015, 22:06

Is there a quick theme switcher?
boiler

11 May 2015, 22:25

I understand the value of the black pop-outs for the forum descriptions, but I'd like to point out that on a touch tablet (at least on ipad), it requires two taps to select one of those links. The first one brings up the pop-out, then a second tap goes to the forum. This is odd since this isn't typical behavior on the ipad for links that have some type of popup on hover. Is there perhaps a setting that leaves them in place but allows them to behave as a typical tooltip?

While I'm at it, I'll add my vote for saying that the green bubbles clash with the rest of the theme. I think a darker blue would work much better. The orangish color is ok (blue and orange are complimentary colors), but blue and green do not go well together.
joedf

11 May 2015, 22:36

GeekDude wrote:Is there a quick theme switcher?
there ya go, should it be installed?
https://github.com/PayBas/QuickStyle
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
toralf

11 May 2015, 22:41

The dark blue theme is not bad, but needs some color tweaking since e.g. The code in code bases is sometimes not visible (enough).
The pbtech theme looks cool. But the ahk logo is missing.
Haven't used neither of them thoroughly yet to decide which would be my favorite. But thanks a lot for providing options.
ciao
toralf
joedf

11 May 2015, 22:45

hmmm pbtech is sorta a joke, it's a replica of the battle.net website.. :P
There is also this theme : http://www.artodia.com/phpbb-styles/black2/

Return to “About This Community”