My resignation, and some background of events lead to.

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
joedf

Re: My resignation, and some background of events lead to.

04 Nov 2015, 10:22

@Exaskryz +1
@nnnik Well, actually it was I who gave Drainx1 SSH access. And then, this whole thing started.... :S
On things I'm not sure about, I pass them through tank and lexikos, because yes, they have experience I don't have.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Ruevil2

04 Nov 2015, 12:44

Exaskryz wrote:I don't want to take a stance on the issues of security because I don't know the full details.

However, I notice that just recently it was finally agreed to merge the two AHK communities on different forums at autohotkey.com and ahkscript.org. And now that that process has started and is going through the planned steps, Drainx1 wants to start up a new forum and split the community again?

I would just like to suggest both parties try to work something out so there aren't two communities that users are split between or jumping between again.
+1 Exaskryz

This is my sentiments exactly. Further division of the community will never be beneficial to the whole. I have no idea what the details to the situation are, I just know that screaming and crying about the things everyone else is doing wrong is a bad way to approach the problem.
noname

06 Nov 2015, 05:48

People are free to set up any forum they like ,a freedom we all have.If it is a better one it can only be welcomed,if not it will just disappear.

If the community is split, it is because their members freely choose so (like this forum should know all to well) and it should be respected.
nnnik

06 Nov 2015, 06:22

@joedf: thanks for clarification
@noname: You're wrong. Everyone can contribute to ahkscript.org and can request to become an admin and they can contribute to do something.
Tossing that aside and rejecting cooperation and going on a rant after things don't go their way and finally splitting up to a new project, is just disrespectful towards those that contributed here.
You can change things here. That's the main reason why people created this board. I ain't gonna respect anybody especially because they leave now. I ain't gonna support it. But it's your choice.
(and BTW if I find content from myself on that new website it's going down)
Recommends AHK Studio
just me

06 Nov 2015, 12:22

Do we really need to discuss this any further? IMO, this thread should be closed. We already know why Drainx1 did what he did.
noname

06 Nov 2015, 13:04

If it is not to your liking you close the thread.Thanks for showing your real faces.You do not like discussing it ...fine don't join in.
Free speech is important even if it is uncomfortable.The childish behavior reminds me of the bad days on the other forum.

Is this wrong?

People are free to set up any forum they like.
If the community is split, it is because their members freely choose so.

Think about it.
Drainx1

06 Nov 2015, 13:55

All I did was request server access for backup management and general server management. After odds and ends (being told backups were taken care of and everything else was under control, which it wasn't as evidence by my security report,) I redacted my offer, then was given access anyway.
I responsibly disclosed what I found, and people have been getting mad with me because I didn't fix them. As has been stated. I couldn't fix them without other consequences, DB creds being used in other places or ports.

So rather than use my report for guidance and insight, it was viewed as rebellion and hate towards the people running it. People started putting words in my mouth, and continue to do so.

Now then; when autohotkey.com was breached, none of the administrators said anything; I have a problem with that (and so should everyone else, since web security is a big deal,) which is what I addressed as a post here.
I was going to create my own forum with proper security policies and procedures to industry standards and my liking, but with the attitude I'm getting from everyone else, my time is better spent elsewhere; far away from the unmaintained, unkempt, and unprofessional manner that is this forums administration.

Take a look around... This is EXACTLY what happened when the original split happened. Two sides, the side with the administration, and the side of the users. This time is is almost on the same bounds, the community (any for that matter) deserves better security and information on whats happening, which is what has been lacking (and pointed out several months ago.)

I liked AHK because it was a fun language (kudos to Chris and Lex,) and the community used to be nice and friendly, but now... I'll probably find more solace at autoit.

With that, I'd like to request a ban on my account (or a posts intact account delete,) and this thread locked.
just me

06 Nov 2015, 15:37

Drainx1 wrote:This is EXACTLY what happened when the original split happened. Two sides, the side with the administration, and the side of the users.
Well, but who are "the users" in this case?
noname wrote:People are free to set up any forum they like.
Yes, but why don't the simply do it without waiting for a database to fill their forum as EXACTLY was done when this forum was set up. Members are free to choose afterwards.

Why does this thread need to stay open to make a decision?
nnnik

06 Nov 2015, 18:28

Because they are still part of the community as long as they contributed here once.
They still want to discuss this. I'll get mad but i won't say it anymore.
Recommends AHK Studio
lexikos

06 Nov 2015, 18:53

I do not believe that anything productive will come from this thread either, but I have nevertheless opted to keep it open from the beginning.
noname wrote:Free speech is important even if it is uncomfortable.
This works both ways, yet you have criticized just me for expressing his opinion (and that's clearly all he was doing; just me is not a moderator).
Free speech is important even if it is uncomfortable.The childish behavior reminds me of the bad days on the other forum.
Whose childish behaviour? This whole situation reminds me of past drama. I think it would be accurate to say that Drainx1 was a central figure and instigator back than as well. I don't think that's a coincidence.
October 2013: After the last straw, tank (also known as Charlie Simmons) stepped in, tired of the forum bugs, and created this site.
Source: The AutoHotkey Foundation : Our History
Drainx1 wrote:So rather than use my report for guidance and insight, it was viewed as rebellion and hate towards the people running it.
Your report has been used as guidance and insight, and I appreciate that you posted it. Your demands and poor attitude are what has set people against you. I got the distinct impression that you were creating drama and playing the victim, and you still are.
I'll probably find more solace at autoit.
Well, I hope you enjoy your time at AutoIt, but I don't see why we should ban your account.
JoeSchmoe

06 Nov 2015, 19:54

Thanks for your balanced and wise perspective in this thread, Lexikos. As someone who has learned so much from AHK and has cared about the community since even before Chris started to pull back, I've been watching the thread carefully recently.

Thank you, also, Tank and JoeDF for your service to the community. It sounds like there are some security issues that need to be fixed. If people have special skills, I encourage them to step up and do the work themselves. Learning is secondary to actually getting the task done, and as a fellow SysAdmin and forum administrator (my site only has about 150K Pageviews/month, which I imagine is significantly smaller than this site) I can say that you can actually learn a lot from having an expert consultant come in and do the work.

Thanks everyone. Let's try to keep things positive.
joedf

06 Nov 2015, 23:18

JoeSchmoe wrote:Learning is secondary to actually getting the task done (...)
Thanks everyone. Let's try to keep things positive.
+1
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
noname

07 Nov 2015, 01:25

quotation from lexicos :
This works both ways, yet you have criticized just me for expressing his opinion (and that's clearly all he was doing; just me is not a moderator).

I criticise for wanting to close a thread not for "expressing" that view ,that should have been clear!That is also the childish behavior in the old forum i referred too.Let me also make it very clear it is not personal ,it is against the idea.I know Just me a long time from the forum and i admire his knowledge and contribution.

If you feel offended Just me i apologize senserily for that like i said it is not personal it is the idea of closing threads and if you remember that was the topic in the old forum too that made me leave.
just me

07 Nov 2015, 05:30

noname, never mind!

Trying to state my opinion more clear:

The topic of this thread is: My resignation, and some background of events lead to. I think that everything relevant about this topic has been said already. And I see repeated personal attacks against tank and joedf. Knowing what happened with the old forum, it's not acceptable for me to range poly and tank on the same level. You might call it 'freedom of speech', but I think it exceeds tolerable limits.
Drainx1

07 Nov 2015, 10:35

I'm glad someone finally realized that a breach basically means passwords need to be changed; although it probably happened way too late.

Next is post-mortem review - What happened, how, and what is being done to stop it from happening ever again. I have expressed to Tank that I would be willing to help with this, even though I don't want affiliation.
just me

07 Nov 2015, 16:02

I have expressed to user ciantic I would be willing to help.
lexikos

07 Nov 2015, 18:18

noname wrote:I criticise for wanting to close a thread not for "expressing" that view ,that should have been clear!
My words were too imprecise. When someone expresses an opinion that you strongly disagree with, do you always respond with sarcastic personal attacks? That is what "Thanks for showing your real faces" is, if a mild one. If you can call it "criticism" (I did only for lack of a better word), my objection was that it targets the person's character, not the person's opinion. This is not conducive to freedom of speech (or a civil discussion).

Locking the thread would stop it from getting further and further off-topic. (But if I really wanted that, I could refrain from posting. ;))
That is also the childish behavior in the old forum i referred too.
What is? Locking threads? There are justifiable reasons for locking a thread (such as what just me explained). If there weren't, there would be no such function - forums are designed for communities, not dictators.
just me wrote:I have expressed to user ciantic I would be willing to help.
I'm guessing you either posted this in the wrong thread or with the wrong name. Am I right?
Drainx1

27 Nov 2015, 10:15

Due to the downtime yesterday, I have decided to go ahead with my idea for a new forum.

I went ahead and bought several domains, one of which was autohotkey2.com which was recommended here https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... =80#p21408 which nobody took.

AHK needs a rebranding, after what Poly did, and now what Tank has done/is doing. The complete downtime (even the admin panel which is still public, was down) and lack of a report as to why things were down is unacceptable.
If what I've seen was correct, you are still on the 30GB disk with Digital Ocean, still using 6k+ lines of htaccess, and from a scan I did, the install directory is STILL there (not even deleted, but I believe it was just put into htaccess) which has literally no words to describe why... The site has been hacked at least twice, and only 1 of which you told people to change their passwords, reluctantly a few days after it happened. Tank is unfit to be an administrator/maintainer of a site. He has no clue what he is doing, and at this point I think Joe would be a better candidate to take of this site.

All of the docs were down yesterday, and because people don't know how to use the chm, but knew IRC came in... I had to put up a clone of the basic docs that lex has on a repo.
If you want a few of the domains I got yesterday, we can talk about it, but there would be a lot of sweeping changes to make it all happen.
guest3456

27 Nov 2015, 12:43

lol

instead of helping out here with the site we have currently, you try to fragment the community further. you see these security holes, yet instead of trying to get them fixed here, you still just want to bitch and complain that no one is as smart as you. comparing tank to poly is a joke. what YOU'RE doing is more like what poly did. that is: be a complete and utter stuck up moron. everyone is telling you how delusional you are, and yet you refuse to listen to anyone. you may truly be insane or at least half retarded.

and now you are gonna try blackmail

it never ends

it is a shame that no one grabbed autohotkey2.com like i suggested though. no idea what you're gonna do with it since my idea was solely for AHKv2.

Return to “About This Community”