CSV Buddy Beta - freeware sources on GitHub and compiled

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
JnLlnd

CSV Buddy Beta - freeware sources on GitHub and compiled

19 Oct 2013, 14:49

CSV Buddy is a freeware app written in AutoHotkey v1.1. It helps you make your CSV files ready to be imported by a variety of software. You can load files with all sort of field delimiters (comma, tad, semi-colon, etc.) and encapsulators (double/single-quotes or any other character). Convert line breaks in data field making your file XL ready. Rename/reorder fields, edit records, save with any delimiters and export to fixed-width, HTML templates or XML formats.

Links
  • Download the compiled version
    There is no software to install. Just extract the zip file content to the folder of your choice. Run the .EXE file from this folder (choose the 32-bits or 64-bits version depending on your system). Make sure it will run with read/write access to this folder. At your convenience, create a shorcut on your Desktop or your Start menu.
  • Source files
    CSV Buddy sources are hosted on a GitHub repository. Feel free to use this code as you wish. You can comment or report bugs here or in the GitHub's Issues section.
  • Documentation
  • Support on Facebook
Description

Even if the CSV file format is a widely accepted standard, it is still found in multiple flavors. In some implementations, fields are separated by comma. Others are delimited with tab, semi-colon or a variety of characters depending on the OS. Most CSV file records stand on one line. However, some programs export multi-line data with line breaks inside fields (try to load in Excel a CSV export from Outlook or Gmail contacts with multi-line notes text fields). Many programs will have a hard time importing these various variations of the CSV format.

The freeware CSV Buddy helps you make your CSV files ready to be imported by a variety of software. Load files with all sorts of field delimiters (auto-detection of comma, tab, semi-colon, etc.). Field containing delimiters or line breaks can be embedded in various encapsulators (double-quotes, single-quotes, pipes or any character). Get field names from the file's header (first line) or set your own column titles. Load data with line-breaks.

Rename, select or reorder fields. In a grid, edit or delete records. Sort them on alphabetical or numeric values (integer or float). Save all or selected rows to a new file using any delimiters, with header or not. Replace line breaks in data fields with a marker to make your file ready to load in software (like MS-Excel) that can only load single-line fields.

Export your data to fixed-width files with specific width for each field, truncating data or padding it with spaces. Export to HTML using your own template with markers to insert your data fields in the web page. Also export to XML standard format.

CSV Buddy can load files having up to 200 fields (columns) and cells with up to 8191 characters. With the 32-bits version, file loading is limited by available physical memory. Tests were successful with files over 100 MB. With the 64-bits version, there is no limitation to file size thanks to virtual RAM. However, loading and saving time will increase as files get huge (in the hundreds of megs).
:thumbup: Author of freeware Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!
:P Now working on Quick Clipboard Editor
:ugeek: The Automator's Courses on AutoHotkey
JnLlnd

Re: CSV Buddy Beta - freeware sources on GitHub and compiled

19 Oct 2013, 14:52

After months of development and alpha testing (many thanks to alpha testers!), I just released the first version of CSV Buddy v0.8.0 BETA. I confident it is quite stable. But, of course, more users will help improve the app. Thanks for using the app, commenting, reporting bugs or reusing the code, at your convenience.
:thumbup: Author of freeware Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!
JnLlnd

03 Nov 2013, 16:07

CSVBuddy has been updated to version 0.9. Small fixes and addition of test files in the zip package.

2013-11-03 v0.9
Display "<1" (instead of "0") in status bar when file size is smaller than 0.5 K
Removed CSV Buddy icon from the Tray
Add three test delimited files to the package (see README.txt in the zip file)
Fix default value of blnSkipHelpReadyToEdit in ini file to 0

Same application home and download address:
http://www.jeanlalonde.ca/ahk/csvbuddy/csvbuddy.zip
http://www.jeanlalonde.ca/csvbuddy/

If you like it, you can also rate or comment it here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2540
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... uddy.shtml
JnLlnd

19 Nov 2013, 18:48

I'm going to make the final changes to this app before releasing version 1.0. If anybody has suggestions for improvements or found any bug, it is good time to raise it. Thanks!
LarryC

20 Nov 2013, 10:00

An amazing script.
I tried other, some commercial, mostly not useful programs. I must say, this is very professional piece of work.
First thing I tried was to run the exe as a command line with an signed variable %csv%. Does not load from a command line. Not a big deal. More of an observation. Thanks for such an excellent script.
JnLlnd

20 Nov 2013, 10:54

Thank you LarryC :-) CSV Buddy is an "only-GUI" app. I could add some "easy" command-line support (eg loading files) but fully support CSVBuddy features with command line would be a major work. And there are already very good command-line tools to edit CSV files (search for CSVfix if you are interested).
LarryC

21 Nov 2013, 18:34

Sorry, I used the wrong term. Not "command line", I should have written passing a parameter, e.g.
"c:\Program Files\CSVBuddy.ahk" blah.csv. Sorry
JnLlnd

24 Nov 2013, 09:53

LarryC wrote:Sorry, I used the wrong term. Not "command line", I should have written passing a parameter, e.g.
"c:\Program Files\CSVBuddy.ahk" blah.csv. Sorry
Hello LarryC. You were also right calling this "command line", in my opinion. Your suggestion was to load the csv file at launch but I did some mileage on the idea and wondered about supporting also the conversion and saving processes from the command line which is a bigger command.

But loading the file itself at launch is easier and will be in the next release (1.0)... coming soon with other suggested features. Thanks again for the idea.
JnLlnd

30 Nov 2013, 16:12

First official release 1.0 of CSV Buddy is now online.

App's home page: http://code.jeanlalonde.ca/csvbuddy
Script's code: https://raw.github.com/JnLlnd/CSVBuddy/ ... VBuddy.ahk
and include file: https://raw.github.com/JnLlnd/CSVBuddy/ ... y_LANG.ahk

New in v1.0:
- Add records to existing data (right-click in the list zone).
- Create a new file from scratch (right-click in an empty list zone).
- Load the file mentioned as first parameter in the command line. (@LarryC)
- Add validation, confirm before exit and fix various small bugs.
BoBo

15 May 2017, 04:58

Yeeeeeah, CSVs :superhappy:
Thx 4 sharing this :thumbup:

@ [CMD]geeks, CSVfix can be found [here]
Johnny R

16 May 2017, 00:23

The CSVBuddy-2_1_3-32-bit.exe doesn't work for me, when I load the TEST-CountryCodes.csv. The csv-file is loaded, but the window is empty. In second tab appears the message "First load a CSV file in the first tab"
[Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit]
Image https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpkdpus33an79 ... 282%29.jpg
Image https://www.dropbox.com/s/c14gght56ko5t ... 281%29.jpg
JnLlnd

16 May 2017, 03:24

Hi Johnny,

After you selected the file, click the "Load" button to load the file. File operations in CSV Buddy are a little different than the usual open/save actions you can see in other apps.

Jean
Johnny R

16 May 2017, 04:52

@JnLlnd, it works fine! Excuse me, my mistake!

BTW:
Why there are no images in the forum, wenn I link to an image with the Img-Tag? Do I something wrong again?
JnLlnd

16 May 2017, 06:10

No problem.

About the images, sorry I could not help.
tidbit

16 May 2017, 13:35

Johnny R wrote:@JnLlnd, it works fine! Excuse me, my mistake!

BTW:
Why there are no images in the forum, wenn I link to an image with the Img-Tag? Do I something wrong again?
you are not linking to an image. you are linking to a page with an image. the [img] tag requires a direct link to an image. not just dropbox's image viewer. click the link. you'll see it's a full webpage. comment section, download options, zoom options, etc.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”