AHK failing under Windows 10 Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
jordanlund

AHK failing under Windows 10

13 Jan 2016, 11:10

I've been using AHK for about 3 years now, recently upgraded to a new computer and everything has been working fine...

Until last night. I worked all day, came home and had to do a few more things, found AHK to be non-responsive. I shut down the machine, came back to it this morning, same deal.

Uninstalled AHK, reinstalled AHK, no dice. Removed the 64 bit version, replaced with the 32 bit version. Nothing.

The scripts I use are INCREDIBLY basic, email signatures, web page shortcuts, things like that. None of it works anymore.

The script file hasn't changed, it's the same one I've been using for 3 years. I tested it in both Firefox 43.0.4 and Chrome 47.0.2526.106 m, neither are responding.

Example of a script that's not working:

!G::
run https://www.gotomeet.me/JordanLund
return

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.
Blackholyman

Re: AHK failing under Windows 10

13 Jan 2016, 11:18

Try running your script as admin
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
jordanlund

13 Jan 2016, 11:38

I've run the script as admin, I've compiled the script as an .exe and run that as admin. No dice. It's like it's completely non responsive.

I also ran it in Windows 7 compatibility mode with and without the admin check. Nothing.

I'm going to try this registry hack next and see if that works:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3183 ... plications
jordanlund

Re: AHK failing under Windows 10  Topic is solved

13 Jan 2016, 11:53

It looks like what happened is that my machine picked up an update that disables scripting for the function keys.

With AHK running, all of my scripts tied to ALT-Fx fail. Changing them to ALT+# works. So I can't use ALT-F8, but ALT-8 works fine.

Very strange. I also found it odd that even though this laptop has a functional "Fn" button, the ALT button seems to have the same behavior. That may be part of the problem right there.
AHKxx

27 Jan 2016, 18:06

My condolences.

One of the things that will continue to keep me from Windows 10 is concern that AHK will be undermined.

I increasingly feel that we are well into the twilight days of user customization and configuration.

Long live AHK and what it represents.
wizardzedd

27 Jan 2016, 18:37

I have windows 10 and ahk has been working fine for me so far. The one thing that doesn't work for me in auto hot key is the fn key, although it never did work. I tried looking into the key history as well but it didn't register at all. I think that windows 10 does have several bugs however. I had a time where the start menu would randomly disappear. Despite its bugs I've found it to be an improvement over windows 8.
Shadowpheonix

28 Jan 2016, 10:36

jordanlund wrote:It looks like what happened is that my machine picked up an update that disables scripting for the function keys.

With AHK running, all of my scripts tied to ALT-Fx fail. Changing them to ALT+# works. So I can't use ALT-F8, but ALT-8 works fine.

Very strange. I also found it odd that even though this laptop has a functional "Fn" button, the ALT button seems to have the same behavior. That may be part of the problem right there.

Should be easy enough to confirm - borrow someone's external keyboard and see if you get the same behavior with it.

I use AHK on Windows 10 all the time, and have no issues with ALT-Fx hotkeys.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”