« What's on your mind? » Topic is solved

Talk about anything
tidbit

Re: « What's on your mind? »

05 Feb 2016, 10:46

My tool isn't meant to be serious, it's not even an editor/builder, it's a generator. (Although, it has helped a few people)
How I decided to start it:
Tons of people say GUIs are hard to make. Many people, myself included, find them pretty easy (the docs explain well and many examples). My very first script was gui with a listview. Learned 90% of it myself (garry and probably someone else helped).

So I decided to make this after a flood of "guis are hard. do it for me" things on IRC. 1-click generated GUIs with vVars, gLabels and their associated labels. With relative positioning (many people complain aligning controls is hard since they need exact x/y/w/h, yet ahk has all these auto-align features) and docs explaining the basics.
Another common issue is named GUIs. This has been a MAJOR issue since gui,new was added. Nobody understands it. most of the time I tell them to remove that 1 line and it works. This uses the proper/best/old (IMO) naming method.

So it's a trolly educational script. "Buildeer" to irritate people over the 'typo', "Deluxe" to lure people in. 1-click guis with no effort for the lazy and/or people who cannot comprehend the (IMO) good docs. Speak to further nail it into their heads. Center justified code for lols. The docs are full of fun comments too.

The code could be much smaller, I had plans to use some array stuff to let me easily track back and find controls of X type and generate code based off of it. But once it went 5D, it got too messy, decided not to. Now it only has a really simple code sample gen system (as of 1.3).
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
tidbit

05 Feb 2016, 10:57

Also, people hate working together :P
Whose ideas to add? how to add them? what code style? "I don't like your idea, mine is better". "I don't get what you mean". "that could be done 14x better". etc.
Ask for help/ideas/feedback, sure. But I'm no team player :D (when it comes to co-op coding).
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
wdmodlin

05 Feb 2016, 11:41

joedf wrote:My request to add "AutoHotkey" finally passed :D
http://ukupat.github.io/tabs-or-spaces
Which reminds me of a minor peeve... if things are stored with tab spacing different from that used by default in the editor I happen to be using, it can mess up the formatting badly. Especially for things arranged in neat columns.

Which in turn makes me want to de-tab anything with such columns before posting, and wish that others would also.

Which all makes me think spaces should be the default for repository storage, so things are more likely to look the way intended

But I much prefer tabs when actually editing something.

How do others deal with this? Am I missing some simple trick or technique? Am I the only one bothered?

I'm thinking of writing some simple commands to replace tabs with spaces and vice versa... probably not original, but also probably quicker to code than to find.
joedf

05 Feb 2016, 12:11

@tidbit GitHub,tidbit... GITHUB ;) haha
@wdmodlin
I don't really know... Most people here (including me) just simply use tabs, i guess :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

05 Feb 2016, 12:18

github is annoying and too much extra work.
but it still doesn't affect the issues like:
Whose ideas to add? how to add them? what code style? "I don't like your idea, mine is better". "I don't get what you mean". "that could be done 14x better". etc.

it just makes it easier to combine peoples changes/additions, if the master decides to do so. aswell as discuss stuff (but irc/forums are still better for that).
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Fizban

05 Feb 2016, 13:37

Featherfall
"Arrest the tree! Obstructing sunlight! That's the charge!"
lifeweaver

05 Feb 2016, 19:13

Am I out of date since I still use Rajat's SmartGUI Creator, it works pretty well for basic stuff.?
joedf

05 Feb 2016, 22:22

i don't think so... :b
I used to use quite a lot...
now i just manually make them, or what i do is... i use it for making the most of the gui (more or less) then I manually fine tune it...
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

14 Feb 2016, 14:05

Eulers Identity:
e^{i \pi} = 1
i^{2} = −1
(The imaginary part solves itself)
Recommends AHK Studio
Xeo786

15 Feb 2016, 09:40

joedf wrote:
Arbab Irfan wrote:I am unable to set Profile Picture :( ......
Send me a PM. Do you get a specific error message?

Thank you @joedf I have just able to upload profile picture...... :dance: :superhappy:
"When there is no gravity, there is absolute vacuum and light travel with no time" -Game changer theory
Xeo786

15 Feb 2016, 09:41

Arbab Irfan wrote:
joedf wrote:
Arbab Irfan wrote:I am unable to set Profile Picture :( ......
Send me a PM. Do you get a specific error message?
100 x 100 pixel and 16 KB is very little size..... but I manage to shrink profile picture..... :)

Thank you @joedf I have just able to upload profile picture...... :dance: :superhappy:
"When there is no gravity, there is absolute vacuum and light travel with no time" -Game changer theory
joedf

15 Feb 2016, 14:15

No problem-orino! :+1:
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

20 Feb 2016, 07:10

Does anyone here use Colemak for touch-typing?
jballi

03 Mar 2016, 06:43

Samsung ships the world's highest capacity SSD, with 15TB of storage
http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... orage.html

The estimated cost is north of $5K.
kon

04 Mar 2016, 00:08

Game Prototype Development: Card Battle RPG - developing a prototype game in GML (gamemaker language).

This is probably my favorite Youtube creator. I especially like his Dark Souls videos (ex: Let's Play Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (ENB)), which is mostly why I know about him. But this most recent series is a bit of a departure from his usual stuff and looks like it is going to be very good.
kon

12 Mar 2016, 18:26

There is currently a post on the front page of reddit: "Learn to Hack, Learn to Protect Yourself : learn about security vulnerabilities."
The top comment recommends an AHK-favorite, Tom Scott! :D

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”