Can someone please help with API for IMDb or OMDB? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
dipstick5000

Can someone please help with API for IMDb or OMDB?

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 15:05

I'm having a really hard time getting this to work, and I feel like I'm in over my head. It's disturbing and frustrating because I can usually figure stuff out. My college Fortran courses are useless, and just like AHK, it's been years since I worked with it and therefore I've forgotten most of both languages, just like I forgot most of my 2 years of Spanish, "No comprende." I can achieve my goals (a small bit of movie info) in a ridiculous, convoluted matter (opening an actual browser and counting characters to find the words I need), but now I'm pissed and I want to do it right. I've spent way too much time on this to give up and do it wrong. I don't care if we use JSON or XML, but I've been trying JSON. Oh, and I have tried searching other posts for help.

Here's a link to the relevant page, where you don't even need a key if you can settle for one string of text (but I've been using a key). Feel free to use my key if you decide to help. They're free for up to 1,000 queries per month, and I may need like 10 or 20 per month.

https://omdbapi.com

Here's what I've been trying, and since I sort of gave up I don't even understand most of it. Some of it is copied from someone else doing a weather API, and I get error messages starting in that 3rd line:

Code: Select all

HTTP := ComObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")
HTTP.Open("GET", http//omdbapi.com/?apikey=<myAPIkey>&t=prisoners+of+the+ghostland)
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Accept","*.*")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Accept-Encoding","deflate")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Accept-Language","en-US")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Connection","keep-alive")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Host","omdbapi.com")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("Upgrade-Insecure-Requests","1")
HTTP.SetRequestHeader("User-Agent","Firefox/99.0")
HTTP.Send()
Clipboard := HTTP.ResponseText
MsgBox, 0, , CLIPBOARD = %clipboard%
[Mod edit: [code][/code] tags added.]

I've also tried a little with Javascript, but I'm having no luck there either. This is probably because I don't know what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Also if you could help with a quick bit of parsing the info and extracting only certain things, like, actor, year, etc., that would be wonderful and it would make you a good person, and I'm sure you would end up going to Heaven, assuming you believe a Heaven exists.
Last edited by dipstick5000 on 23 May 2022, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.

dipstick5000

Re: Can someone please help with API for IMDb or OMDB?

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:02

BoBo wrote:
23 May 2022, 16:42
viewtopic.php?p=389124#p389124 :shh:
Um, thank you, but is that German? What language do i need to translate from?

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 23 May 2022, 17:06

That's German, indeed. But the code of both scripts shouldn't be too tough to grasp. Good luck :mrgreen:

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:11

"Removed API key from code for known reason. OP might recreate it if it has been set intentionally."

What is the known reason that I don't know? Is it just a common sense thing? I already set it intentionally. Pretty much everything I do is intentional. So how do I reset it intentionally? I don't understand. I thought it might be helpful, and I certainly don't need 1,000 queries per month, and anyone can get one for free. Is this just standard practice, or in the guidelines I read 12 years ago? I understand the issue, then again I sort of don't in this particular case.

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:13

BoBo wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:06
That's German, indeed. But the code of both scripts shouldn't be too tough to grasp. Good luck :mrgreen:
Okay thank you. It may be worth it for me to figure it out. Plus I suppose there's always Google Translate.

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:24

BoBo wrote:
23 May 2022, 16:42
viewtopic.php?p=389124#p389124 :shh:
Initially I understand that as well as I understand what I already coded, and that ain't much. I was hoping someone could easily spot a syntax error, or just some stupid thing I did. Maybe I did nothing wrong? No, that can't be right, it's definitely wrong. However, I have gotten an idea from that post, so thank you very much. I'll probably go through it more, but I had not even considered using "UrlDownloadToVar."

gregster

Re: Can someone please help with API for IMDb or OMDB?  Topic is solved

Post by gregster » 23 May 2022, 17:27

HTTP.Open("GET", http//omdbapi.com/?apikey=<myAPIkey>&t=prisoners+of+the+ghostland)
Something obvious: URLs in expressions should be quoted as they are strings. Also, a : seems to be missing in front of //.

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:39

gregster wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:27

Something obvious: URLs in expressions should be quoted as they are strings. Also, a : seems to be missing in front of //.
Thank you!

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 23 May 2022, 17:57

gregster wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:27
Holy cow gregster. So simple, so obvious. That often seems to be the case. Works like a charm now, and I can't believe I wasted a day because of those 2 stupid errors. The people on this forum are awesome and helpful. Thank you everyone, especially gregster.

dipstick5000

Post by dipstick5000 » 24 May 2022, 15:01

Chunjee wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:48
English OMDB app I wrote. Sounds like you figured it out though

https://github.com/Chunjee/SA-omdbcloner
Thank you. Looks pretty good. More complex than mine, but mine is working perfectly for what I need. I may find the need or desire to study yours more thoroughly though, since I'm not completely done yet. I may have searched wrong before I posted my question. Not sure why I didn't see anything about your script.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”