[v2.0-beta.7] Installer overwrites v1 in appwiz Topic is solved

Report problems with documented functionality
jNizM

[v2.0-beta.7] Installer overwrites v1 in appwiz

Post by jNizM » 16 Jul 2022, 09:10

The v2 installer overwrites the entry of the v1 installer in appwiz.cpl. When I uninstall it, it uninstalls both. Is this how it should be?

Install of v1

Install of v2 next to v1
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile

lexikos

Re: [v2.0-beta.7] Installer overwrites v1 in appwiz

Post by lexikos » 16 Jul 2022, 22:39

Why ask this in Bug Reports? Of course this is intended.

Installation of newer or older versions of AutoHotkey has always overwritten the previous version.

It doesn't make sense to leave the entry for v1 or the v1 installer itself. If you were to uninstall v1, it would delete the registration of the .ahk file type. If you run the v1 installer to customize something, it will partially overwrite the v2 settings. If you uninstall v2, it would have to specifically differentiate v1 and v2 files and restore the v1 settings. If you install additional versions (even if they are v1), they will not be handled by the v1 uninstaller.

There may be multiple v1 versions and multiple v2 versions.

Options for uninstalling or installing specific versions is planned, but the v1 installer and appwiz.cpl entry will not be restored. Even if you remove the v2 interpreters (excluding UX\AutoHotkeyUX.exe), the uninstaller and support scripts can be used with v1.

jNizM

Post by jNizM » 18 Jul 2022, 09:27

This would make sense if the new version (in this case the v2 beta) replaces the current version (v1). As long as this is not the case, it makes sense for users to have 2 separate programs that can be installed and uninstalled separately (especially for testing). Whether alpha, beta or insider.

So see this as a wish, since it is not a bug but the current behavior. If it is not desired, I can also live with it.

[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 18 Jul 2022, 22:47

I think you completely missed the point of my explanation that it doesn't make sense, but in any case,
Options for uninstalling or installing specific versions is planned,
My intention was for this to be handled by a custom GUI. Uninstalling could be handled by adding separate entries in appwiz.cpl, giving the illusion that they are separate packages, but I would consider this sub-optimal. A custom GUI can handle uninstalling multiple versions, downloading new versions, or managing the "primary" versions in the root of the directory or the v2 symbolic link.

v1.1.34.03 and v2.0-beta.7 are not two separate programs. They are two versions of packages that each include multiple programs, and the best way to use those programs is to have them integrate with each other, not separate.

lexikos

Re: [v2.0-beta.7] Installer overwrites v1 in appwiz  Topic is solved

Post by lexikos » 02 Oct 2022, 02:46

v2.0-beta.11 implements a basic GUI for selecting which versions to uninstall.

I have no intention to separate the entries in Control Panel/Settings. Another reason is that Control Panel doesn't gracefully handle the case where one uninstaller removes more than one entry (although it's just a case of refreshing or closing the window to get rid of the zombie entry).

Return to “Bug Reports”