What notebook software do you use?

Talk about anything
william_ahk

What notebook software do you use?

Post by william_ahk » 13 Mar 2023, 22:29

Do you use one? Can anyone recommend one? I'm struggling to find a good notebook software. I like Wikidpad quite a lot but it lacks a rich formatting like markdown. OneNote is full-fledged, but the formatting is really messy to me. I just want a decent markdown notebook software, but it's so hard to find :headwall:

guest3456

Re: What notebook software do you use?

Post by guest3456 » 19 Mar 2023, 11:02

i use Workflowy but it doesnt have markdown. i dont need formatting so it doesnt matter to me. i prefer simplicity and ease across laptop and mobile

ive heard good things about Notion

hoppfrosch

Post by hoppfrosch » 23 Mar 2023, 00:29

You might have a look at Obsidian - Markdown, simple, but very powerful ....

guest3456

Post by guest3456 » 23 Mar 2023, 21:11

hoppfrosch wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 00:29
ty i like that Obsidian is extensible and has a large plugin community

going down this rabbit hole i also found this which is completely open source:
https://logseq.com/

ItisI

Post by ItisI » 08 Jul 2023, 01:51

hoppfrosch wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 00:29
I use two programs:

a) a completely commercial one (which I don't want to recommend, as it is an acquired taste)
b) said Obsidian which is freeware but not open source.

Apart from the price ;) What I like most about Obsidian is that you actually own your data. It's stored in human readable folders as markdown files on your machine, and if you want, you can turn it into a VSCode project at any time - or decide to use other software altogether.

Software a) also stores your data in md files, but they are stored in a very cryptic and proprietary structure; exporting is not an easy task. Obviously it doesn't encourage you to leave for greener pastures.

Obsidian, as mentioned above, is extremely expandable. It comes with a bunch of core features, and what seems to be missing will probably be found as a "community plugin". With all the risks that come with installing a bunch of plugins. (And of course, there are also lots of themes to adjust the appearance to your liking.)

What I dislike about Obsidian is that although you can do a lot with it, you have to do a lot of it yourself. Beyond the basic functionality, which will serve you well in many cases, there is a steep learning curve, likeable idiosyncrasies (annoying quirks), and a constant invitation to try to solve the problem yourself. A mere end user might be overwhelmed...

You will find it very easy to implement the infamous "Zettelkasten" method (if you like) or anything else that requires or suggests (extensive) linking and backlinking. It's best suited to people with a programming or development background. Especially JavaScriptwill come in handy.

Why don't you give it a try?

Of course there is also Zettlr (https://www.zettlr.com/) both free and open source!
Windows 10 - AutoHotkey 2.0.3 - VSCode - AutoHotkey v2 Language Support - vscode-autohotkey-debug

2b || !2b

molihua

Post by molihua » 30 Jul 2023, 10:03

Obsidian, Joplin, Logseq. all are markdown based.
https://pctechtest.com/20-best-note-taking-apps

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”