Antivirus Deleted our .ahk files (and AutoHotkey.exe)

Talk about anything
Joe Glines

Antivirus Deleted our .ahk files (and AutoHotkey.exe)

Post by Joe Glines » 06 May 2024, 13:07

The other day we found Windows Defender not only deleted AutoHotkey.exe (v2) but also all of our .ahk files. This was a first for me!
We dicuss the event more in this video

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. Please make sure you find a way to backup your scripts...
Joe
Sign-up for the 🅰️HK Newsletter

ImageImageImageImage:clap:
AHK Tutorials:Web Scraping | | Webservice APIs | AHK and Excel | Chrome | RegEx | Functions
Training: AHK Webinars Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
YouTube

:thumbup: Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!

RussF

Re: Antivirus Deleted our .ahk files (and AutoHotkey.exe)

Post by RussF » 06 May 2024, 13:36

I got my first AV hit ever on AHK from Bitdefender (our managed AV system) at the end of March when I downloaded V2.0.12 . It did not quarantine them, just notified me as suspicious.

I've honestly never heard of Defender actually deleting files (especially scripts, which are just text files.) It should just quarantine them. You can restore them from quarantine in settings and then exclude the folders or files from being flagged.

Russ

garry

Re: Antivirus Deleted our .ahk files (and AutoHotkey.exe)

Post by garry » 08 May 2024, 12:35

I copied once an ahk script to a big textfile xy.txt and this was deleted from Windows Defender MsMpEng.exe . I found the textfile as backup from notepad++
Yes, then I used > exclude folders and files

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”