Windows View

Talk about anything
jrachr

Windows View

Post by jrachr » 18 Mar 2024, 09:17

Good Day. I am trying to find a way to have all of my windows and open in medium Icon only.IE. (If you were to press view and then pick medium the window opens medium icon). I don't want to have to do this all the time.Is there any way ahk can lock the view pane so it opens all my windows in medium icon only? Thank You

RussF

Re: Windows View

Post by RussF » 18 Mar 2024, 09:44

I can only assume you are talking about Windows File Explorer. To see all folders with medium icons, first, set one that way manually. Then, on the View tab, select Options->Change folder and search options.
image.png
image.png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 200 times
On the view tab of that dialog box, select Apply to Folders.
image.png
image.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 200 times
That should do it.

Russ

jrachr

Post by jrachr » 18 Mar 2024, 10:05

@Russf. Well I was able to get Explorer into medium icon but I can find nowhere to get any further. When i click on C drive and properties there is no view option anywhere in there to change anything. Tk's though.

RussF

Post by RussF » 18 Mar 2024, 10:16

I never said anything about properties. It is the options button on the main View tab.
image.png
image.png (50.71 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Russ

jrachr

Post by jrachr » 18 Mar 2024, 10:46

@Russf. My bad. Sorry. So this is where I am at.Got options open but the apply to all folders option is greyed out and I am unable to find anyway to ungrey it. BTW I am running Windows 11. I do appreciate your help. Tk's

RussF

Post by RussF » 18 Mar 2024, 11:43

A little Google goes a long way. In 5 seconds I found innumerable results to my query, "windows 11 folder options apply to folders greyed out".

The prevalent reason is 'A greyed out "Apply to Folders" button will occur when you are looking at a "library" folder because libraries pull together a view of files that can come from folders of different types. '

Make sure you are not highlighting "This PC" or any other Library when you open up the options. Highlight "Local Disk (C:)" and then try it. (disclaimer - I don't have Windows 11, so your libraries may be named something different, but just find the root of C:).

Russ

Moderators - since this thread is not technically about an AHK question, perhaps it should be moved to an appropriate section - thanks.

jrachr

Post by jrachr » 18 Mar 2024, 15:14

@RussF. Thank you very much for your help Russ. All this time and I never knew all the the folders on the left in explorer were Libraries. I always thought they were just folders. Anyways all good now. Got my options and view. Once again Thank You.

@Moderators. Apologize for stepping on any toes. I initially started out looking for a little script to have all my files open medium icon. I did not know it could be done without having to use AHK. Once again sorry for putting a request in a wrong place.

gregster

Post by gregster » 18 Mar 2024, 16:04

jrachr wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 15:14
@Moderators. Apologize for stepping on any toes. I initially started out looking for a little script to have all my files open medium icon. I did not know it could be done without having to use AHK. Once again sorry for putting a request in a wrong place.
No problem, I saw the topic early on and understood that you were originally looking for a AHK solution (although there might be other/better solutions). Since a topic can always be moved later, I decided to leave it at least temporarily (I guess other staff members might have thought the same). Since it actually never became a AHK topic, Off Topic should be an appropriate new home for it. (Moved.)

RussF

Post by RussF » 19 Mar 2024, 05:25

@jrachr, I'm glad we could get you squared away. I've been using Windows since 3.0 and I'm still learning new things about it. Best wishes.

Russ

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”