what license let non-commercial use agree with foss yet open yet commercial use must pay?

Talk about anything
joyrr5092

what license let non-commercial use agree with foss yet open yet commercial use must pay?

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:03

hi,

i embrace the foss,
however, if there is money, i want it.

so i would like to look for a license that non-commercial use would be as free as in foss (otherwise it is hard to be popular?),
yet, i'll disallow any commercial use, and any such use must pay me money.

any such one?

or dual license like QT?

thanks

joyrr5092

Re: what license let non-commercial use agree with foss yet open yet commercial use must pay?

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:05

points from magic mirror:
- Qt Licensing Model
- Commercial License
- Intended for proprietary software development
- Does not require source code distribution
- Provides access to professional support and additional tools
- Suitable for projects requiring proprietary modifications or confidentiality
- Open Source License
- Offered under LGPL and GPL
- LGPL allows dynamic linking without releasing source code
- Requires the ability for users to replace Qt libraries
- GPL and modified Qt under LGPL require source code distribution
- Suitable for applications that are open source or follow LGPL/GPL terms
- Supports development of open-source and proprietary software
- Dual Licensing Benefits
- Flexibility for different project needs
- Funding for Qt development through commercial licenses
- Wide range of application, from open-source to proprietary

joyrr5092

Re: what license let non-commercial use agree with foss yet open yet commercial use must pay?

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:08

ps, i recently used a foss that wanna have a sign cert,
the cheapest one is https://shop.certum.eu/open-source-code-signing.html
not cheap.

is this the cheapest one already?
thanks

once ahk also get certed .exe,
althought ppl say github already checked the id/identity of author by 2FA as per their account.
however, having one will only do good.

joyrr5092

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:09

ok, just found their are some /wout hardware,
cheaper. just 49euro.

joyrr5092

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:14

magic mirror suggest a custom license model:
Custom Dual Licensing Model

Commercial Use

Requires a paid license.
Does not require the distribution of source code.
The license could include support and additional features not available in the open version.
Designed for businesses and commercial entities that benefit financially from using the software.

Non-Commercial Use

Free of charge.
Access to the source code is provided.
Users are allowed to modify and distribute the software under the same terms.
Ideal for educational, research, charity, and personal projects

joyrr5092

Post by joyrr5092 » 24 Mar 2024, 00:23

i talked too much,

finally i asked the magic mirror for a draft,
see if someone may need too:

Creating a custom software license tailored to your specific requirements, especially one that involves a mix of open-source principles and commercial licensing, is a nuanced task that requires legal expertise. Below, I’ll draft a very basic outline of what such a license statement could look like. However, **this is purely illustrative and should not be used as a legal document**. It's essential to consult with a legal professional who specializes in intellectual property and software licensing to ensure that your license meets legal standards, accurately reflects your intentions, and is enforceable.

### Illustrative License Draft

---

**Your Software Name** License Agreement

**1. Definitions**

- **"The Software"** refers to "Your Software Name" and any associated documentation, source code, executable binaries, and other materials provided with the software distribution.
- **"Commercial Use"** involves any use of The Software in a business environment, for profit-making activities, or to support the operations of a for-profit organization.
- **"Non-Commercial Use"** means using The Software for educational, research, personal projects, or non-profit organization purposes, where no profit is made.

**2. Grant of License**

- **Non-Commercial Use**: Subject to the terms of this License, The Software is provided to you free of charge for Non-Commercial Use. You are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use, modify, and distribute The Software in source code or binary form.
- **Commercial Use**: Any Commercial Use of The Software requires the purchase of a Commercial License. Please contact [Your Contact Information] for licensing terms and fees.

**3. Source Code**

- The source code of The Software is made available under this License for Non-Commercial Use. By using, modifying, or distributing The Software, you agree to make any modifications or derivative works available under the same terms as this License.

**4. Restrictions**

- You may not use, copy, modify, or distribute The Software (including its source code) for Commercial Use without obtaining a Commercial License.
- You may not sublicense, sell, or redistribute The Software or derivative works thereof, for Commercial Use without a valid Commercial License.
- You may not remove or alter any copyright notices or attributions in The Software.

**5. Disclaimer of Warranty**

- The Software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied. [Further standard disclaimer language...]

**6. Limitation of Liability**

- [Standard limitation of liability clause...]

**7. General**

- This License is the entire agreement between you and [Your Name/Company] regarding your use of The Software. [Additional clauses about jurisdiction, amendments, etc.]

**Contact Information**

For inquiries regarding Commercial Use licenses, please contact:

[Your Name/Company]
[Contact Details]

---

Remember, this draft is a simplified starting point and lacks many specifics and legal nuances that a proper license would require. **Consulting with a legal expert is crucial** to ensure that your license is valid, enforceable, and achieves your objectives while protecting your rights.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”