is icoConvert.com safe? Topic is solved

Talk about anything
what_a_turnout

is icoConvert.com safe?

Post by what_a_turnout » 10 Dec 2020, 04:08

Hey earlier today i used the website icoconvert.com to convert a png to a .ico, im worried it could of been a virus as i was getting an error in the script. I later used the website cloudconvert.com to get a .ico file that worked. Im just concerned because the first one didnt work but the second one did, im probably just paranoid, is there any chance i could have a virus from the ico file i downloaded from icoconvert.com? is that website trusted?
Last edited by BoBo on 10 Dec 2020, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to OffTopic.

pizzapizze

Re: is icoConvert.com safe?

Post by pizzapizze » 10 Dec 2020, 09:03

I don't know sure, but i think that there is no risk unless:
1) You already have a virus app installed that treats and uses the icon as a binary virus.
2) You rename it to .exe and run it ( :geek: )

Gio

Re: is icoConvert.com safe?  Topic is solved

Post by Gio » 10 Dec 2020, 10:02

If in doubt about an online service, you can check it's online reviews (multiple sources if possible) and also other info such as website creation date, etc. (You can get these on a WHOIS website such as www.who.is ).

Online service scam sites are usually either too recent (less than six months old) or have already been reviewed as fraudulent. You can check multiple review sites (if available) to avoid reaching out a review site in control of the scammer (if in doubt about a particular review site, always keep in mind that a typical trustworthy review site will NOT be one to review a single online service but rather many different online services).

Also, while .ico files CAN house some types of malware, it is somewhat unlikely as this is not a file format that directly houses executable instructions. Here you can find a list of file formats that are executable types and therefore are more likely to house viruses.

what_a_turnout

Post by what_a_turnout » 10 Dec 2020, 12:12

Thanks!

william_ahk

Post by william_ahk » 07 Feb 2021, 20:48

Actually you can convert image files to .ico very easily using ImageMagick, here's a .bat file for doing this:

Code: Select all

"path-to-imagemagick\magick.exe" convert -background transparent "%1" -define icon:auto-resize=16,24,32,48,64,72,96,128,256 "%~n1.ico"

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”