One small add banner to support community

Talk about anything
blackjoker

One small add banner to support community

Post by blackjoker » 16 Dec 2020, 04:20

Hi everybody, admins,
i want to explain you the issue why in my opinion AHK community should have an add banner (google ads or whatever..).
if i like opensource projects i try to donate as much as i can, but secondly i have a habit of clicking add (usually not because of add) on open source projects because that generates income for them...
And my habit is - everytime i find something usefull - i click on add and whatch it for a load or a few seconds. Meybe im wrong, but i think that this click generates income for project.

What do you think?
If community dont like adds and is totally against them - then maybe to put adds somewhere in an abasement or what ever - where supporters coul click :)
There is nothing to click everyday a few times :)

If it doesn't sound rudicilous - let's have a discussion on this issue.

Freedance

Re: One small add banner to support community

Post by Freedance » 07 Jun 2021, 09:10

I like your idea. Also, they can add ads not only from Google or other giants.

tidbit

Post by tidbit » 08 Jun 2021, 14:13

this has been suggested in the past. Personally I wouldn't care, especially if it's out of the way, like the right-edge or bottom, or a specific sub-forum or main webpage only.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Freedance

Post by Freedance » 09 Jun 2021, 07:08

I like your idea. Also, they can add ads not only from Google or other giants. And they can also advertise to less popular companies, and even better if it fits the forum's theme. I have noticed that many venues look boring. My suggestion is to advertise [broken link removed] apps that pay instantly to Paypal or something related to games—if it's about cars, then selling or buying cars. I think you get my point. And so do with all discussions, administrators profit from advertising, which will contribute to their promotion of the forum and the design, and we are not burdensome. Yes, besides, I'm advertising never gets in the way.

joedf

Post by joedf » 09 Jun 2021, 15:45

While personally I wouldn't mind one small banner (maybe programming related and at the bottom), the one concern I have is "Not monetize the software or support site." from our "manifesto". Arguably, it would be only to support costs for the site.

Tank has mainly covered the costs throughout the years, and occasionally we use donation funds. Currently, we have enough donations to last us a while, but more funds and reduced costs would go a long way with server costs and possibly EV code certificates... Ultimately, it would be nice to see it approach a "self-sustaining" state.

but I am not sure what @tank or maybe even @lexikos feel about this... :think:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 11 Jun 2021, 04:30

Ads suck - third-party ads in particular. Advertising companies can't be trusted to vet their ads properly. Misleading or even malicious ads are far too common.

If you want to support the community, there are better ways.

joedf

Post by joedf » 11 Jun 2021, 10:51

Noted, thanks for the input. In that case, let's leave the ads. As there's no urgency and we want to keep the site ad free as discussed from the very beginning.

As side note, I see that patreon can be used for non-profits too:
https://www.patreon.com/c/nonprofits
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

OpalMonkey

Post by OpalMonkey » 11 Jun 2021, 20:48

joedf wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:51
As side note, I see that patreon can be used for non-profits too
I wouldn't mind there being a Patreon. I so rarely think of donating otherwise and Patreon makes it easier to just give that little bit of consistent support. Even if it was just $1-2 a month.

joedf

Post by joedf » 12 Jun 2021, 17:35

Okay, I'll consider looking into it this week.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”