Useless post

Talk about anything
jekko1976

Useless post

Post by jekko1976 » 09 Feb 2021, 04:17

So you have already read the title, this post is useless, don't waste your time on it.

If you have time to waste, i would like to have your opinion about this:

I love autohotkey, it is powerful, and it incredibly simplify my work life.
BUT
Everytime I talk about AHK to my programmer friends they reply me "auto-what???"
And even if they know it, they treat it like a "b-series" language.
So i reply "Ok, so find me any other way to manage the Windows GUI in a so simple mode like AHK"
silence...
In the best case, someone reply me "PyWin", but PyWin is far more primitive than AHK.

I don't know why this happend, and i don't know why AHK is so unknown by the people.

Perhaps AHK is too much difficult for the casual user and too much simple for the skilled programmer.

I am not a skilled programmer, i never studied as programmer. My job is accountancy.
But with many hours spent on the editor, on the tutorials and with your precious help on the forum i reached targets that my co-workers can't even dream.

That's all
Last edited by jekko1976 on 09 Feb 2021, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

garry

Re: Useless post

Post by garry » 09 Feb 2021, 08:49

agree ... Life without AutoHotkey is possible, but pointless .... :)
No AutoHotkey, no fun .

Gio

Re: Useless post

Post by Gio » 09 Feb 2021, 09:24

Hello

It is not a useless post for the AHK forums if you have a discussion regarding AutoHotkey right? ;)

AutoHotkey is a powerful, complete, and easy to learn programming language for the Windows OS. But you just can't expect programmers that have invested thousands of hours into C++/C#/Java/Python (and no time in AutoHotkey) to just come up and say "hey that language i am not even a beginner at is probably as good as the one i have an expert certification on" right?

It's a matter of principle: As a programming student/programmer you should be able to judge by yourself how great the language is. After all, you probably know much more about AHK than they do. It is mostly up to YOU to value YOUR knowledge now.

That being said, i have had some contacts with some other "lesser known" languages. Not sure if this is going to interest anybody, but this is a story i can share.

:arrow: In my company, we use an ERP system that is coded in a language called Centura. The system is a well known ERP in my country (at least for those people that work in the same type of business we do), but even if you ask our competitors (and many use the same system), nobody has ever heard about centura before and they don't even know the system is coded in Centura at all. By searching around, i have found out that centura ranks no much higher than AutoHotkey as a search term in Google Trends (and also, that it actually ranks lower than "AHK").

A second case: my ex-stepfather actually used a tool called Genexus to code his programs for a full career as a local software house owner. This tool has a built-in language and it also ranks lower as a search term than both AutoHotkey and AHK.

If there is an end morale to these stories it is probably that you shouldn't feel unconfortable just because AHK is not as widely known as C++/C#/Java/Python. What you do with AutoHotkey (or any other language) is probably going to be much more important to your customers and your career than the language itself :beer:

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”