URLDownloadtoFile,Webscraping, WinHTTPrequests and more

Talk about anything
Joe Glines

URLDownloadtoFile,Webscraping, WinHTTPrequests and more

Post by Joe Glines » 03 Apr 2021, 08:12

If you're new to web scraping, API calls, and http protocol, this is a great discussion you need to see!
Web scraping, APIS and HTTP Traffic
If you're trying to use URLdownloadtoFile, WinHTTPRequest, or automate Chrome, this is a great overview of the high-level principles of what you're doing and different approaches.
Sign-up for the 🅰️HK Newsletter

ImageImageImageImage:clap:
AHK Tutorials:Web Scraping | | Webservice APIs | AHK and Excel | Chrome | RegEx | Functions
Training: AHK Webinars Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
YouTube

:thumbup: Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!

Delta Pythagorean

Re: URLDownloadtoFile,Webscraping, WinHTTPrequests and more

Post by Delta Pythagorean » 04 Apr 2021, 18:04

Wouldn't this go in Tutorials?

[AHK]......: v2.0.6 | 64-bit
[OS].......: Windows 11 | 22H2 (OS Build: 22621.1555)
[GITHUB]...: github.com/DelPyth
[PAYPAL]...: paypal.me/DelPyth
[DISCORD]..: tophatcat

You should consider migrating to v2. Practice with small features first such as learning how to do Guis!
Remember to use [code] ... [/code] for your multi-line scripts for the forums.

neogna2

Re: URLDownloadtoFile,Webscraping, WinHTTPrequests and more

Post by neogna2 » 07 Apr 2021, 10:56

Nice discussion! I'd be interested in a follow up that covers a few issues I haven't seen covered in the help file or forum topics on URL downloading.
- security: Are some download/scraping methods using less secure connections? Is that dependent on some settings in IE or wherever?
- privacy: Are downloads/scraping that use IE, Chrome and similar tools by default added to the browser history or otherwise logged in the system?
- speed: Are some download/scraping method faster than others, when downloading larger files. For example curl.exe vs UrlDownloadToFile vs others.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”