Private groups and extra privileges

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
Ben the Coder

Private groups and extra privileges

Post by Ben the Coder » 30 Sep 2022, 09:55

I'm just curious:
I'm not sure how the process of "moving up to higher level with more privileges" on the forum. I've applied to join the RPA group, and gotten approved. But in terms of higher levels (such as being a spam monitor or administer), what are the criteria for you to be "upgraded" and get more privileges.
Thanks,
Ben :)

gregster

Re: Private groups and extra privileges

Post by gregster » 30 Sep 2022, 11:01

You already have all the "privileges" a regular user can get. We have only a few moderators or admins (not all in the lists are currently active), usually longtime-active and AHK-experienced members. Their additional privileges come with certain responsibilities which require a certain level of trust.
The spam officer role is more limited, but currently we probably have no active spam officers who are really spam officing (except the ones who are also moderators, like me). Last time, we added some at a moment of crisis, when we had serious spam problems, a few years ago. Since then, we have adjusted many rules and user permissions, and are now able to prevent most spam.
It seems that role has been also used for a few special users which - for whatever reason - should have (limited) additional rights. I am not sure, if that spam officer role will have much of a future, if it will get rebranded or redefined at some point, or evolve into something else.

RPA is the only restricted group I am aware of, which a regular user can join. Afaik, there are no more groups, other than staff groups and the "spammer" group (which you don't want to join ;) ).

Generally, someone would have to suggest your name for such a role to the current staff, and then staff would discuss that suggestion. Imho, I haven't seen enough of you that I would support your candidacy at the current moment (but I can only speak for myself). Of course, that might change in the future.

My question would be: What privileges are you currently missing?

Ben the Coder

Post by Ben the Coder » 30 Sep 2022, 11:35

gregster wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:01
My question would be: What privileges are you currently missing?
None, really. I was just curious.
Thanks! :)

tank

Post by tank » 30 Sep 2022, 11:46

gregster wrote:
You already have all the "privileges" a regular user can get
correct
gregster wrote:
RPA is the only restricted group I am aware of
that is the only one. There are other forums for mods n admins but not other groups.

I have often considered the idea of some other groups that are based on expertise voted on within threads but only as an indicator of respect not extra privilege. Kinda like a badge system.. but even tho my health is better I'm buried in my career load ATM, so haven't had time to act on it
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

joedf

Post by joedf » 30 Sep 2022, 12:45

I had originally created the Spam Officer role on the old IPB forums and now here too... it's purpose was to gain as many volunteers (to clear spam) as possible in a short amount of time without compromising staff forums and whatnot. Or just for people who can/want to help with spam without the full responsibilities of being a staff member.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Ben the Coder

Post by Ben the Coder » 30 Sep 2022, 19:10

tank wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:46
I have often considered the idea of some other groups that are based on expertise voted on within threads but only as an indicator of respect not extra privilege. Kinda like a badge system.. but even tho my health is better I'm buried in my career load ATM, so haven't had time to act on it
Yeah, I think that would be a good idea.
In terms of the spam officer role, it's not too much of a needed role anymore (given software can monitor spam and faster than humans can), is it? :?:
Thanks for your help in answering my questions. :)

Return to “About This Community”