Autohotkey within the Microsoft Store

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
Weatherlight

Autohotkey within the Microsoft Store

Post by Weatherlight » 21 Mar 2020, 11:38

Hello

First of all I just want to say hello :). I am an SCCM, Intune and Microsoft Store Consultant and some of the stuff I do is to get applications ready for distribution within corporate envoirnments. Lately I was playing a little around with Windows 10 in S-Mode (just got a Surface Go as a birthday present ;)). This Mode basicly limits Windows to run only apps that were published to the Microsoft Store. I guess most people just switch out of this mode right away to do something usefull with the device but since I wanted to work with MSIX (the package format of the store) and the Store a little more I thought: Why not getting the apps I need to the store.

Today I published a bunch of applications within the Microsoft Store. Most of them I use only internally or at my clients (some of them are also available to the public). Since Intune and SCCM can synchronize the Microsoft Store it became a great way for me to publish updates to multiple envoirnments with a single task.

So why should you care? Well one of the apps I published was Autohotkey. Currently the apps is not visible on the store and can only be downloaded internally using the Microsoft Store for Business. With the consent of the Autohotkey team I would love to make my release publicly available so other people with Windows 10 in S-Mode can make use of it without switching out of it. Of course I will not take credit work Autohotkey itself and name the Autohotkey Team. If you worry about support I may also add "Store Edition" or Unofficial within the name so it is not to be confused with the official release from the website and mention that it is not supported by you guys. I will also shutdown my release if you ever wish to go into the store yourself.

Regarding the GPL v2 I will make my source for packaging available on my onedrive. Within the package I use a few tools where you currently can not find the source online (but I will provide it on request). It is a little wrapper I wrote that is used to overcome some store limitations (In case of Autohotkey it is used to display the help file and it is used to map the correct exe file to the context menu items).
So this is it for now. I am more then happy to hear from you guys. If you want a preview or anything just drop me a short notice and tell me what you think.

Thanks already for the time :)

boiler

Re: Autohotkey within the Microsoft Store

Post by boiler » 21 Mar 2020, 20:04

This might be found by the right people faster if posted in the About This Community sub-forum, but @joedf and @tank should see it since they have now been tagged.

joedf

Post by joedf » 22 Mar 2020, 02:34

@boiler thanks :+1:
@Weatherlight As you've explained, I think everything is okay but a different name might be needed, for different reasons; one of these is to avoid confusion.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 23 Mar 2020, 13:47

Hey @joedf

thanks for the reply. I would either add Store Edition or (Unofficial) as a suffix to the name and add in the description that the release is not supported.

To it would either be:
AutoHotkey Store Edition or
AutoHotkey (Unofficial)

Would Store Edition be ok or should I go with Unofficial or do you have any other suggetions?

joedf

Post by joedf » 24 Mar 2020, 09:58

I think either is fine :+1: but put in the description that it's a custom/unofficial build for MS Store made for convenience, maybe even link to this thread here?
I think you should be fine this way. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think Chris or anyone here will sue you for that ;)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 24 Mar 2020, 13:05

Thank you :). I just made some modifications to the entry and included a bit.ly link to this forum thread.

I also got a preview here of the entry that I would submit now to Microsoft unless there is something that you want to be changed:
https://www.microsoft.com/p/autohotkey-store-edition/9nq8q8j78637

Thanks again for the input I hope that version will help some people out there :).

boiler

Post by boiler » 24 Mar 2020, 13:16

One thing I noticed is the bit.ly link shown in the full description links people to this particular thread. I think it would be much better to link it to one of the following:
https://www.autohotkey.com/
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 24 Mar 2020, 13:59

Hey boiler.

Yes the link directly points to this thread (one of the things joedf recommended and I thought that is a good idea to help people to understand the relation of the store app).

The link for the official website (this is even one you can click ;)) links directly to autohotkey.com.

The support link links to my e-mail address so I can help with particular issues that are related to the store edition. I can also link that one to the forum I just want to avoid that the store release makes the official AutoHotkey Team no trouble with support.

boiler

Post by boiler » 24 Mar 2020, 15:23

Yes, sorry. Missed that he suggested this thread. I think this is a pretty casual/unofficial looking welcome to the AutoHotkey website, so I would still suggest that it be to the main page or to the main forum page.

joedf

Post by joedf » 24 Mar 2020, 16:19

Good work :+1:

As boiler mentioned, maybe also add a link to our main homepage? So people see what the official website's domain name is. :+1:

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 25 Mar 2020, 04:55

Hey

thank you for the good vibes :).

I just added the link to the website.

Btw: if any of you guys from the team want to get access to the backend of the store (allows you to make small adjustments to the store entry and access statistics) just drop me a line with an email address and I send you an invite.

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 25 Mar 2020, 10:07

Just another short update: The app has just been certified by Microsoft and is now publicly available in store.

Snefferdy

Post by Snefferdy » 01 Apr 2020, 17:54

I just downloaded it through the Microsoft Store. Feels safer than through the website with those scary malware warnings. Thanks for putting it there!

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 01 Apr 2020, 22:18

Weatherlight wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 13:05
Thank you :). I just made some modifications to the entry and included a bit.ly link to this forum thread.
I also got a preview here of the entry that I would submit now to Microsoft unless there is something that you want to be changed:
https://www.microsoft.com/p/autohotkey-store-edition/9nq8q8j78637
Thanks again for the input I hope that version will help some people out there :).
This is a brilliant idea to bypass the Google shenanigans and oppression. What you have done is great. However, not comfortable with the bit.ly link or that this is unofficial. Bitly can be used to track people and gather information. I'm of the strong opinion there should be a link to the official AutoHotkey website and GitHub only. I think the AutoHotkey Foundation should copy your idea, and put out an official version.

Overall, the AutoHotkey Foundation, debatably needs to make moves to once and for all stop these issues coming from Google (and from VirusTotal which is owned by Google). This all might be a blessing in disguise.

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 02 Apr 2020, 09:21

Thank you for the nice feedback.

I didn't realize that there is that much trouble with google file rating :(. If the AHK Foundation would like to go the way to their own release I am always happy to help with my code and with advice on how to proper modify the code and make it "store compatible".

About the bit.ly links: I am with you on this and I take a look out for an alternative. Since I can not make the links "clickable" I shorten them so people can at least type them within their own browser. If you have a good alternative in mind I am happy to hear.

boiler

Post by boiler » 02 Apr 2020, 11:47

Weatherlight wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 09:21
About the bit.ly links: I am with you on this and I take a look out for an alternative. Since I can not make the links "clickable" I shorten them so people can at least type them within their own browser. If you have a good alternative in mind I am happy to hear.
All the more reason to just use the address autohotkey.com instead of bit.ly or this thead. It's even easier to remember and type than a bit.ly URL.

Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight » 02 Apr 2020, 12:38

The only place where I use the Bitly link is the reference to this thread and my repository on onedrive (so links where the url is a little long). The link to the Autohotkey website is without a bitly link.

tank

Post by tank » 02 Apr 2020, 14:29

JoeDF or i can fix broken links. and on your next post you should be able to post links. I am so happy that AHK has made it to the Microsoft store
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Mortie the Whistler

Post by Mortie the Whistler » 19 Mar 2021, 23:51

Hi guys, especially @joedf and @tank. I am a medical doctor working with a hopelessly outdated electronic health record (EHR) system in a Windows 10 environment where we are not allowed to run exe-files like Autohotkey. However, the Microsoft Store apps are working. Just now I found this sweet adaption of AHK to Microsoft Store. I would love an official, regularly updated version of AHK to be made for the Microsoft Store. You guys are gonna save us doctors and nurses millions of clicks and key presses so we get more time at the bedside with the patients after I get AHK up and running with our EHR system within the coming months. Also, thanks @Weatherlight for the unofficial AHK adaption.

Best regards
Morten Nielsen
Emergency physician
Helsingborg Emergency Department
Sweden, Europe

joedf

Post by joedf » 23 Mar 2021, 09:05

Although, the current version on there (v1.1.33.02) is stable and relatively recent, I will send Weatherlight an email. It seems that he's been inactive on this forum for some time now.
If nothing comes out of it, likely a discussion is needed on how we should support an MS Store release. :think:

Return to “About This Community”