Is lexikos still maintaining AHK?

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
just me

Is lexikos still maintaining AHK?

Post by just me » 22 Jan 2021, 07:09

If not, is anyone else willing and able to do it?

joedf

Re: Is lexikos still maintaining AHK?

Post by joedf » 22 Jan 2021, 09:53

likely another 3/4 month break? https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=62301

Hmm, not sure. Last active: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:19 pm :think:
@lexikos Everything okay?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 22 Jan 2021, 18:41

just me wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 07:09
If not, is anyone else willing and able to do it?
Lexikos has been at it for a long time with AutoHotkey_L (and has done a fantastic job), so taking breaks sometimes is fine, and such can be refreshing for him. Not to mention, we don't know what is going on with his personal life. Especially during these Coronavirus times.

Also, there is still activity on the AutoHotkey_H side and with HotKeyIt (https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=28803), so it doesn't seem like AutoHotkey is in any type of danger in the immediate future.

joedf

Post by joedf » 22 Jan 2021, 19:53

Agreed, I'm not too worried. Even without updates for a year or two, I'm sure autohotkey will still be of use to many. :+1:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 23 Jan 2021, 06:33

joedf wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 19:53
Even without updates for a year or two...
That's a bit long. I (and likely many others) are properly hoping his vacation isn't quite that extended. Hopefully, things are going well for him.

Frosti

Post by Frosti » 23 Jan 2021, 11:52

I very much hope that he is fine. For him personally and his family.
But the expressed dependence of our community on the commitment of his person is worrying me. The burden that he has to carry can thus be clearly seen.
Why hasn't he already shared his work on the project? There are enough brilliant minds here. What was and is the reason for the "one-man project"?

joedf

Post by joedf » 23 Jan 2021, 12:15

It's a bit like linus torvalds with linux, this is his work/fork. He is the developer lead. You can submit PRs to be approved. That said, this project can always be re-forked, and re-pursued, like AHK_H. :+1:

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 23 Jan 2021, 12:23

Frosti wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 11:52
But the expressed dependence of our community on the commitment of his person is worrying me. The burden that he has to carry can thus be clearly seen.
Why hasn't he already shared his work on the project? There are enough brilliant minds here. What was and is the reason for the "one-man project"?
I'm not sure if I can answer your question satisfactorily, but AutoHotkey_L is the fork of the original AutoHotkey, that was started by Lexikos. Consequently, he has the final say on what does or doesn't get added, though there are other developers that contribute. This type of situation is not uncommon in the development and progression of other programming languages, until they reach a certain level of popularity and the organization in control establishes an orderly method of updating the language. When updates to a language are done by committee and multiple developers of equal status, there can be a lot of vicious infighting, ill feelings generated, confusion on what is the best direction, and unresolved disputes.

There are other actively developed forks of AutoHotkey, which are AutoHotkey_H and Keysharp (https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=77248). Lastly, under the leadership of Lexikos, AutoHotkey_L (as the main branch) has been successful and grown. I think many will continue to support him, and at such time that he is ready to retire (and I hope that is not anytime soon or in the next few years), hopefully he and the AutoHotkey Foundation will be instrumental in picking a worthy and qualified successor.

Joedf posted, just before I finished typing my post. Clearly there is agreement about this.

submeg

Post by submeg » 25 Jan 2021, 18:23

I've been an avid user of AHK_L over the past few years (nowhere near the level of lots of you here), and would hate to see it fall away due to one person having to do all the heavy lifting. I guess it would be up to Lexikos on the decision; but here's hoping it's just a break and that he and his family are all okay (first and foremost).

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » 26 Jan 2021, 05:15

Call me crazy but I have a theory. For the last few months I saw at least a couple well-known knowledgeable people simply dissapear from the Linux Mint community (gm10 and smurphy). There may be more. Now Steve (Lexikos) has gone without a trace. How many others are currently missing from the AHK community?

I fear that this whole global situation has given leverage to the evil forces to easily remove people that work against the wealthy by providing free/open-source alternatives. There would be way too much too talk on this subject but not here, not now.

I'd like to ask, if possible, for someone (JoeDF?) to compile a list of well-known members of the AHK community that have not been around for quite some time without announcing their leave or having been involved in some online dispute that may have warranted their leave in anger.

As for Steve, I'd really like to know he's safe and sound because that is the most important thing: human life. If anyone here has any means to contact him directly it would really help to try and get at least a confirmation of him being alive.
Part of my AHK work can be found here.

gregster

Post by gregster » 26 Jan 2021, 05:22

lexikos regularly took longer breaks in the past. That's nothing new or unusual - no need for theories, or panic.
No forum member needs to announce anything or to check in regularly - as if people don't take breaks, or lose interest, or simply have other things to do from time to time.

btw you can find a number of former forum regulars on our AHK Discord server, if you are so inclined.

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » 26 Jan 2021, 06:16

Thank you gregster. My greatest hope is that nothing bad happened to Steve. However all my points still stand. We do not live regular times - can't say 'normal' because nobody knows what that may mean from day to day - so we should expect anything.
Of course people are entitled to their own behavior, and sometimes things may even get out of their hands for a while. I personally went without any Internet connection whatsoever for about a year and a half due to real life events. But even now that I'm running Linux 24/7 and only occasionally mess with my AHK scripts that I run under Wine, I still log in when receiving an e-mail notification of reply and casually contribute to other topics (as this one). So my presence is in one way or another accounted for. More so should be for the project leader, in my opinion, regardless of the reasons that may keep him away and especially if these are already known to take some time. Lack of Internet connection I believe should be ruled out unless anyone knows better.

joedf

Post by joedf » 26 Jan 2021, 09:26

Let's give it time. As for past users, they are still out there. Many still have a very fond memory of AutoHotkey, but some are simply busy, or developing applications in other languages and unfortunately some have lost interest. But that's okay, many likely still advocate for AHK. :+1:

If you are very keen on a list, the members list provides most of the info needed. Albeit, I admit it would be easier for an admin... :p

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » 26 Jan 2021, 10:04

Let us not forget, dear Joe, that we do not have time, but rather Time has us (by the balls, I'd say), and therefore we should not waste it.
Your statements are true and cannot be denied.

I only mentioned that list in the idea that we may find out if other valuable members may have been "retired" from our community without our knowledge and/or their own will.

Considering the current society I strongly believe it's healthier to be paranoid rather than all-trusty.

kczx3

Post by kczx3 » 30 Jan 2021, 08:58

As usual, he’s back and has been working on significant changes locally for v2 😊

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » 30 Jan 2021, 10:32

Hopefully it's himself and not some alien clone. :D

kczx3

Post by kczx3 » 30 Jan 2021, 10:45

As long as it keeps churning out updates to v2 I think I'd be ok with that :D

joedf

Post by joedf » 30 Jan 2021, 15:57

I think alien might be cool too, then we can say AHK is part alien tech too! :D

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » 30 Jan 2021, 16:55

Careful what you wish for, Joe. It may just happen. ;)

Return to “About This Community”