Alt(ernative App)Store [iOS]

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
BoBo

Alt(ernative App)Store [iOS]

Post by BoBo » 31 Aug 2020, 04:59

AltStore - A home for apps that push the boundaries of iOS. No jailbreak required.

https://altstore.io/

"Riley Testut has spent the better part of the last decade trying to sneak in through the side door of the iPhone.
Since he was a teenager, the Dallas-Fort Worth native has been fascinated with app development — in particular, with ..."

[More..]

8-)

SOTE

Re: Alt(ernative App)Store [iOS]

Post by SOTE » 31 Aug 2020, 19:59

This is why I prefer the Android platform, because you have to deal less with Apple's "fascism". There is F-Droid, APKMirror, Amazon AppStore, etc... Simply go to "Settings", "Security", and select Unknown sources to download apps. You also get more control now on the permissions for the app, to see what it uses and to deny or grant various permissions.

Google is not that far removed from the shenanigans of Apple, but their game is more about collecting personal information and selling it to 3rd parties or throwing targeted ads at you, versus excessive restrictions on what you can or can't do on the smartphone you likely paid hundreds of dollars for. A bit sad that iOS users have to jump through so many hoops and stay in perpetual fear that whatever side-step they figured out will be shut down.

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 01 Sep 2020, 06:58

@SOTE - so you're [o|a]n Android :o Have you ever used Automagic4Android?

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 05 Sep 2020, 02:05

BoBo wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 06:58
@SOTE - so you're [o|a]n Android :o Have you ever used Automagic4Android?
Thanks for the recommendation, you have a keen eye for finding goodies. Surprised that its no longer maintained, but at least the apk is downloadable from the site (https://automagic4android.com/download_en.html), definitely it was going down a good path.

SOTE

Post by SOTE » 18 Jan 2022, 07:58

Interestingly, Riley Testut's AltStore is still going strong and has strong financial support, so looks like it will be around for a while.

juxwillx

Post by juxwillx » 16 Feb 2022, 03:45

SOTE wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 19:59
This is why I prefer the Android platform, because you have to deal less with Apple's "fascism". There is F-Droid, APKMirror, Amazon AppStore, etc... Simply go to "Settings", "Security", and select Unknown sources to download apps. You also get more control now on the permissions for the app, to see what it uses and to deny or grant various permissions.

Google is not that far removed from the shenanigans of Apple, but their game is more about collecting personal information and selling it to 3rd parties or throwing targeted ads at you, versus excessive restrictions on what you can or can't do on the smartphone you likely paid hundreds of dollars for. A bit sad that iOS users have to jump through so many hoops and stay in perpetual fear that whatever side-step they figured out will be shut down.
I'v recently switched from an IOS device to android and I cannot agree more.

BoBo

Post by BoBo » 16 Feb 2022, 10:31

Well, I'm kinda pi**sed about Apple, bc my iPhone7 that I've bought refurbished (bc their stuff is so heavily overpriced) got bricked right after iOS15.x has been sucked into its curcuits. Meanwhile, you'll find a plethora of devices offered at Ebay&friends bc its 'ancient' hardware is going nuts once you've "successfully" updated it. Hanging, power-(re)looping, freezing - and finally, it died (id guess bc its logic-board overheated while trying to get it up and running) :x

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”