How to pin to Taskbar multiple ready-to-execute scripts [of any kind] under just one icon?

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
A Keymaker

How to pin to Taskbar multiple ready-to-execute scripts [of any kind] under just one icon?

Post by A Keymaker » 22 Mar 2023, 20:12

[Because the AutoHotkey script solution at which I have arrived - viewtopic.php?f=76&t=115312&p=513891#p513891 - has not only its drawbacks but also presents the same problem as with other workarounds, thus I ask:]

How can I pin under just 1 and the same icon some kind of multiple shortcuts to e.g. BAT files [which will contain already correctly working Registry hack that I have]?

I need to create a sub-menu for my already pinned Magnifier, which entries will load to it [during its opening] different settings in a quick / convenient way. But it seems that I cannot trick my Windows 10 by:

● pinning to this EXE a BAT or AHK [otherwise working] file - because when clicked it will be ignored and simply magnify.exe will run with the last used settings

● pinning to this EXE an LNK leading to BAT or AHK [otherwise working] file

● renaming BAT to something like BAT2 and associating it with magnify.exe - because Windows 10 will not allow for such associating, saying "The program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type"

● changing the Target of a sub-menu entry - because it is available only for LNK files which when pinned under 1 icon are not pinned as file.lnk but e.g. file.bat or file.ahk

● using command lines of the free NirCmd by NirSoft - because the arguments are ignored and what happens is opening of nircmd.exe window which only displays info about this third party program

● compiling BAT [containing Registry hack] to EXE and trying for it the above methods

To sum up: it seems that it was not intended by Microsoft for a user to be able to pin to already pinned to Taskbar program anything other than legit file formats already associated with a given program; and especially to not be able to pin an EXE file format, as it can only by put on Taskbar as a separate icon and only once
Last edited by A Keymaker on 03 Jul 2023, 11:15, edited 4 times in total.

A Keymaker

Re: How to pin to Taskbar multiple ready-to-execute scripts [of any kind] under just one icon?

Post by A Keymaker » 09 Jun 2023, 07:56

Does anyone know more tricks I could try out?

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”