Load draft results in "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
fade2gray

Load draft results in "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Post by fade2gray » 15 Sep 2020, 11:06

Using current Firefox on Win10 PC.

The title says it all - am I doing something wrong?

gregster

Re: Load draft results in "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Post by gregster » 15 Sep 2020, 11:13

Tried a restart? Here, it works fine to load drafts.

Some special contents? What are you doing exactly?
The error message sounds like you want to save a draft, though. Which should also work, generally...

fade2gray

Re: Load draft results in "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Post by fade2gray » 15 Sep 2020, 17:08

gregster wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 11:13
Tried a restart? Here, it works fine to load drafts.

Some special contents? What are you doing exactly?
The error message sounds like you want to save a draft, though. Which should also work, generally...
(This reply will be saved as a draft before attempting to 'load draft ')
I had tried to post this from a saved draft but got the error as described and had to start from scratch.

As it is, I now see this...
Capture.PNG
...each time I try to create a new topic - this doesn't happen when creating a reply.

Ok - just reloaded the draft without any error this time, but I'm curious as to why when trying to edit the draft the content is presented like this...

Code: Select all

<r><QUOTE author="gregster" post_id="352666" time="1600186380" user_id="80"><s>[quote=gregster post_id=352666 time=1600186380 user_id=80]</s>
Tried a restart? Here, it works fine to load drafts.<br/>
<br/>
Some special contents? What are you doing exactly?<br/>
<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE>

(This reply will be saved as a draft before attempting to 'load draft ')<br/>
 I had tried to post <URL url="https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=352654#p352654"><s>[url=https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=352654#p352654]</s>this<e>[/url]</e></URL> from a saved draft but got the error as described and had to start from scratch.<br/>
<br/>
As it is, I now see this...
<ATTACHMENT filename="Capture.PNG" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>Capture.PNG<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>
...each time I try to create a new topic - this doesn't happen when creating a reply.</r>

gregster

Post by gregster » 15 Sep 2020, 17:12

Sorry, no idea. So far, I can't reproduce it. Perhaps @joedf has an idea.

PS: That the attachment isn't preserved in a saved draft, should be normal, though.

fade2gray

Post by fade2gray » 15 Sep 2020, 17:29

Missing attachment...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.09 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

gregster

Post by gregster » 15 Sep 2020, 17:35

I think I have seen that error before with my (new user) test account, but afaik it doesn't prevent you from creating new topics, if you fill in a subject line and a post text.

One of the admins would have to look into that. It has to be related to one of the restrictions.

Edit: Just tested, I could create a new topic (already deleted now) with my test account , despite the (same) initial message, after actually filling in something. Could be related to the check for empty subject lines or posts, which we want to prevent (that might kick in too early - but that's just a guess).

Edit2: It seems, I can also load drafts into that empty topic (that shows the message above for my test account).

gregster

Post by gregster » 15 Sep 2020, 18:16

Ah, I see, in Offtopic it worked for my test account - but in Ask For Help (with the gif that shows how to use code tags), I can't succesfully load a previously saved draft - instead I see that gif and the error message again - and the post and subject line stay empty.

In Scripts and Functions (without the gif), it also fails for the restricted account - but no problem with my actual account.

So, yes, this seems to be a reproducable bug of some kind (at least for restricted accounts, in some subforums).

joedf

Post by joedf » 15 Sep 2020, 18:32

I don't believe attachements are saved in drafts, not sure. :think:
As for title and post content, I can confirm this is a minimum because I have explicitly set it as a requirement earlier this year.

I am not sure theres a bug, but possibly a incorrect permission set. So you mean that gifs cannot be added in for normal users, correct?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

gregster

Post by gregster » 15 Sep 2020, 18:37

Yes, the attachments get discarded, a message tells the user. And there are minimum requirements for content, no problem.

But no, not gifs - but drafts are the problem.
The problem seems to be - for "new" or older accounts with restrictions - that they can't load previous drafts into the initial post of a new topic, at least in Ask For Help and Scripts and Functions, possibly more subforums (Offtopic seems ok). They also see the error message (depicted above) a lot.

To clarify, only the initial post of a topic seems affected (that means, if you want to create a topic) - subsequent replies seem to work fine with drafts, though.

For "normal" users without restrictions, I haven't seen problems. But fade2gray still has certain restrictions, like my test account greg_test.

Edit: I guess, as a measure against quote bombers, it wouldn't be especially effective like this - so I doubt that it is intentional. Probably a side-effect of some other restriction.

fade2gray

Post by fade2gray » 16 Sep 2020, 06:43

Yes, I was aware that attachments aren't saved with the draft - I just forgot to reattach the above image before posting the draft.

While I appreciate the need to impose restrictions on new accounts and non-prolific posters, it does seem a little ironic that I've been a member since at least 2006 - ok, I don't post a lot having received too many RTFM!s from belligerent members in past so learnt to do what it says on the label :terms:

@joedf: Any explanation for Manage drafts > View/Edit showing all the tags, i.e. <r> <s> <e> </br> etc.?

joedf

Post by joedf » 17 Sep 2020, 15:12

Okay, I've just tested this with a simple image attachment. And this seems to be intentional by the phpbb software. I get a warning/page saying "Please note that saved drafts only include the subject and the message, any other element will be removed. Do you want to save your draft now?"
So this seems to be by design, attachments are removed.

Load draft => seems to load the post with the editor as normal
View/Edit => seems to load a simple version editor with the posts markup code

Which makes me think is also intentional by phpbb. :think:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

gregster

Post by gregster » 17 Sep 2020, 17:32

joedf wrote:So this seems to be by design, attachments are removed.
That's still all undisputed, and it seems to be the same for all users. No problem there.

------------- (1)
A potential problem arises for new users (and older users with low post counts), which are subject to certain posting restrictions:
Again, attachments are not the problem, but drafts.
joedf wrote:Load draft => seems to load the post with the editor as normal
View/Edit => seems to load a simple version editor with the posts markup code
Yes, loading drafts works for "normal", unrestricted accounts - but not for restricted accounts in the special case of the first post of a new topic (in subforums like 'Ask For Help', but not 'Offtopic', according to my tests). The draft just doesn't load.
Probably, you can only reproduce it, if you create a new test account with restricted posting permissions, like I did with greg_test.

We could now say that this is just a another restriction that restricted accounts like new users (and old users with low posts) have to to accept for a limited time. That might well be reasonable, as this is just a temporary problem that should disappear for most users very quickly, while on the other hand, it might take a lot of time to investigate and to fix: It's a feature, not a bug.. ;)

Edit: Here is a new user that seems to confirm the problem, they couldn't open a previously saved draft, when creating a new topic ("I had a draft saved up but I cannot access it now so I'll keep it short."): https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=81167#p353196

------------- (2)
Other problems seem to arise with these (non-BBCode) tags when using 'Manage drafts' from the User Control Panel, even for normal accounts (at least for mod accounts like mine), if you load a draft after actually editing and saving it before via the 'Manage Draft' menu. Suddenly, you have these additional tags in your post, which don't belong there - and which don't work with our forum software:

non BBCode tags.png
non BBCode tags.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
This is not valid BBCode, as you can see; it doesn't get parsed. For a longer post, this gets really messy, real quick :problem: .

This is probably also a function that doesn't get used very often by most users - at least I never used it before (and the error might not appear under all circumstances or in all browsers), although I regularly use drafts in the full editor without problems - but it's a problem that I can even reproduce with my moderator account and the 'Manage Drafts' menu.

Again, I personally understand that this might not be high on our priority list, due to restricted resources, but at least I can confirm the buggy behaviour. The fact that no one complained so far, might be another hint for a rather low priority, although it might be especially unfortunate for fade2gray's posting habits.

--------------
So, perhaps, we should accept - and communicate, if someone asks - that certain forum features, which are rarely used by the majority of users, aren't always guaranteed.
Like I said, the first problem probably only arises for restricted accounts - and a limited time. The second might be a general problem (if it's a general phpBB bug or caused by modifications, I can't say).

joedf

Post by joedf » 21 Sep 2020, 08:57

So I've checked the permissions for "Newly registered users", and save Drafts is disallowed.
For "Registered users", both attachments and Save Drafts is allowed.

Unless this something caused by Tank's anti-spam measures or it a phpbb bug, this won't be a simple fix other than simply hiding the non Full editor version... ?

khanhamza

Post by khanhamza » 28 Jan 2021, 03:48

Sorry, no idea. So far, I can't reproduce it.

Return to “Forum Issues”