Forum search cooldown time

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Phoenix IV

Forum search cooldown time

Post by Phoenix IV » 29 Dec 2020, 06:16

I started using the forum search engine after finding out that google mainly lists replies to my questions in the archived, uneditable forums. That lead me to major frustration because there is a 30? second cooldown on the search for unregistered users. That did not work for me. Can you reduce that time to five seconds, please?

gregster

Re: Forum search cooldown time

Post by gregster » 29 Dec 2020, 06:28

The built-in phpBB forum search engine doesn't cover the archived forums, for all what I know. But if you want to continue one of the archived discussions, open a new topic and link to the old topic.

I think the cooldown is high(er) for new users, for anti-spam reasons - but you can use the google-based forum custom search and filter for the active forums or archived forums, if you want to do forum-specific searches without cooldown:
https://www.autohotkey.com/search/

AutoHotkey custom search.png
AutoHotkey custom search.png (53.41 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Phoenix IV

Post by Phoenix IV » 04 Jan 2021, 13:59

gregster wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 06:28
search[/url] and filter for the active forums or archived forums, if you want to do forum-specific searches without cooldown:
https://www.autohotkey.com/search/
Uhh, nice. I don't know how a ~30 seconds cooldown on the current forum will prevent spam, though (unregistered users). If you want to counter-measure DDOS five seconds should be fine (not mentioning we don't even need search for DDOS), and it will be less likely to intervene with unregistered guest's searches.

I fell below 30 seconds very often when I used this forum's search engine.

joedf

Post by joedf » 08 Jan 2021, 10:08

About the ahk search page, I noticed today that the logo was blurry on my higher-res screen and there were ads too. So I took the liberty of upgrading the logo to the SVG one and added a display: none !important on the google search ads. :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

gregster

Post by gregster » 08 Jan 2021, 10:16

Cool, thank you!
I also noticed the ads - and thought that they weren't shown until recently (or perhaps had been previously blocked by my adblocker). But now they are gone again. Very good!

Return to “Forum Issues”