Spam on the Forum

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
TAC109

Spam on the Forum

Post by TAC109 » 27 Feb 2021, 03:43

I regularly see spam appearing on the forum from the first post of new users! As the posts of all new users are supposed to be moderated, how is this possible? Is there some loophole in the forum software that allows this to happen?
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

gregster

Re: Spam on the Forum

Post by gregster » 27 Feb 2021, 07:11

TAC109 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 03:43
As the posts of all new users are supposed to be moderated
I think this is a misunderstanding. Not all posts of new users need approval, or are supposed to be moderated.
Afaik, we have a set of rules, set up by tank, that decide which posts go in the approval queue. Luckily, many (rightfully) don't - of course, sometimes that system misses a spam post which needs manual removal - but if I look at the logs, then 95-99 % of all spam gets filtered out automatically and doesn't even make it into the approval queue - or through to the forums.

Most importantly, spam attacks like the one in February 2019 are no longer possible with the current system. I think that is its main use, and not to catch every spam post automatically (or even every first-time poster).

Probably, the rules could focus even more on the first post of a new user, especially if it's posted in the 'Offtopic' area.
General adjustments could be made, like we removed the option to create signatures for new users.
Some spammers will still adapt, or are already trying to play the long game - but it seems manageable.

tank

Post by tank » 30 Jun 2021, 00:56

exactly correct. 100% isnt possible but we do make it hard
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

TAC109

Post by TAC109 » 06 May 2022, 18:41

It appears that spammers can post to the Home -> Board index -> AutoHotkeyScripts and Functions -> Gaming section of the forum without their posts being moderated. Is this a desirable situation?

Cheers
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

gregster

Post by gregster » 06 May 2022, 20:11

It's usually not a big problem. We delete the one or two posts and ban the originators. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds, sometimes 3 hours.
So far, it hasn't been a honeypot. Not sure, if the spammers regularly read the 'Forum Issues', though.

TAC109

Post by TAC109 » 06 May 2022, 23:01

Ok, I was under the impression that new posters had their posts moderated for a period. (The spam posts in question were all the first for that user.) Does this moderation not happen in some cases?
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

gregster

Post by gregster » 06 May 2022, 23:27

Like I explained above, we are focusing on the main problem areas, and don't require approval for every post of a new user (while unregistered guest posts always require approval). We try to find a middle way, and adapt if necessary.
We introduced most of the strict rules when the forums were under serious attack. Since then, we have relaxed some rules, and introduced a few new restrictions. Most spammers get stopped early, but most importantly we could prevent further attacks like the ones from 2019.
gregster wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 07:11
Probably, the rules could focus even more on the first post of a new user, especially if it's posted in the 'Offtopic' area.
This is something that was actually added since my last post in February 2021. Since Offtopic was a main spam target (it still is, but you won't notice it anymore), it was added to the subforums which generally need approval. In some other (more 'open') subforums, certain additional rules might kick in. But this is not supposed to be bulletproof, afaik. Cleaning up the rest is usually less work than adding more legitimate posts to the approval queue.

TAC109

Post by TAC109 » 07 May 2022, 01:56

It seems that a spammer has discovered this particular vulnerable area 'scripts and functions - gaming' and keeps posting as different users, the same type of spam to the same thread.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

joedf

Post by joedf » 07 May 2022, 10:10

I've set "moderation queue" mode for new users on the gaming topic for now. We can remove it later on.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

TAC109

Post by TAC109 » 07 May 2022, 15:55

@joedf Thanks! :thumbup:
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

tidbit

Post by tidbit » 13 May 2022, 14:30

I remember a long time ago, old forum, a spammer posted in Offtopic but we never deleted. For some reason, for like a month+, all spammers posted in that one topic xD
they probably saw an active topic, posted in it, left. Repeat for next spam.

Wonder if it'd be worth keeping one spam topic open to see if we can repeat that kind of honeypot? was probably just a weird fluke, but was nice, and funny
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

joedf

Post by joedf » 13 May 2022, 15:28

Interesting idea... :think:
Not sure what kind of info we could get, but maybe just maybe we can find a pattern in ip/location...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

tidbit

Post by tidbit » 13 May 2022, 15:41

I just remember it was worth keeping because literally no spam anywhere else, ALL bots/spammers went to that one post.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “Forum Issues”