PM limited to one attachment

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
JoeWinograd

PM limited to one attachment

Post by JoeWinograd » 22 Jan 2022, 16:59

When attaching a file to a PM, the instruction says, "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below. You may also attach files by dragging and dropping them in the message box." The "one or more" comment and the plural on "files" make it clear that you should be able to attach more than one file (and a standard post in the forum allows three files), but whether you click the Add Files button or do a drag-and-drop, it seems that a PM allows only one file to be attached. Bug or Feature? Regards, Joe

joedf

Re: PM limited to one attachment

Post by joedf » 22 Jan 2022, 21:21

I just double checked the forum settings and it seems that "Maximum number of attachments per private message" is current set to 1.
Good catch, so to answer the question... I believe it's a feature, but if feel strongly we could increase it. For now, I'd suggest zipping files or use email.
Our max forum attachments quota is currently only 1500MB.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

gregster

Post by gregster » 22 Jan 2022, 21:28

Didn't we run occassionally out of attachment storage space on the server (not only for PMs, but also for posts), until the overall quota was raised again? This might be a reason for the limit; and that there is only a very limited forum audience for a PM attachment ;)

JoeWinograd

Post by JoeWinograd » 22 Jan 2022, 21:54

Hi joedf,
Not a big deal if the forum is short on space. Zipping files is a fine work-around. You may want to change the instructions at the bottom to indicate a maximum of one file and to suggest zipping for more than one file. Another work-around is to send multiple PMs, each with a single file (that's what I did today when I ran into the issue), but that certainly doesn't help with the storage shortage...is probably worse...but zipping will help. Regards, Joe

Return to “Forum Issues”