ByRef does not work for arrays which are class member

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
Pchief123

ByRef does not work for arrays which are class member

Post by Pchief123 » 06 Feb 2021, 05:15

I'm using AutoHotkey_2.0-a123-e5801ee8, the latest version as of now.

Suppose there is a function:

Code: Select all

foo(ByRef a) {
	a := []
	a.Push("1")
	a.Push("2")
}
Passing a normal array to it gives the expected result:

b := []
foo(b)
MsgBox b[1]   ; MsgBox'es 1
But if an array belonging to some class is provided, there's error:

class bar {
	b := []
	__New() {
		foo(this.b)
		MsgBox this.b[1]   ; throws "Invalid index" exception
	}
}
d := bar.New()
MsgBox d.b[1]  ; again the same exception
by the way, foo(&a){...} does not work as indicated in https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=86283

swagfag

Re: ByRef does not work for arrays which are class member

Post by swagfag » 06 Feb 2021, 06:08

image.png
image.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Pchief123 wrote:by the way, foo(&a){...} does not work as indicated in https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=86283
nor is it supposed to(unless ure running said special build but even then im not so sure)
that said, u can still push to an array assigned to an object's property, since objects are always subject to reference semantics, eg:

foo(a) {
	; a := []
	a.Push("1")
	a.Push("2")
}

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 10 Feb 2021, 04:50

It is not possible to pass properties of objects (such as foo.bar), A_Clipboard or other built-in variables to a function by reference. Instead, the function acts as though ByRef was omitted.
Source: Functions - Definition & Usage | AutoHotkey v2
A property is not a "variable". ByRef is for variable references, not values, not properties.

If you assign a := this.b, then both a and this.b contain a reference to "a normal array". It does not belong to either one. In fact, this is exactly how it is after you call foo(this.b); the function foo has an ordinary local variable named a which contains a reference to an array.

The array and the variable are two different things. See Variable References vs Values.

In the experimental build, foo(&a){...} is just the new foo(ByRef a){...}. It is the other changes which are interesting - allowing a variable reference to be turned into a value and used as one. For instance, if you assign this.b := &x, foo(this.b) is the same as foo(&x). But in that case, %this.b% is the same as x. It is still not suitable for mere indirect assignment to a property.

vvhitevvizard

Post by vvhitevvizard » 14 Mar 2021, 07:19

@lexikos please look at updated #37 paragraph.
Idea of object member (expression) to be passed to a function for indirect assignment as if it was a variable, making &obj.prop and &-77 (pure number), &"string" possible. AHK would alleviate this frequently mentioned issue by using a temporary variable secretly.

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 14 Mar 2021, 22:17

It makes no sense to pass a reference to a constant value.

Opening the possibility of passing a reference to a property was one of the reasons I made the change, but it is not a priority for v2.0.

vvhitevvizard

Post by vvhitevvizard » 15 Mar 2021, 03:17

lexikos wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 22:17
It makes no sense to pass a reference to a constant value.
I beg to differ. Imagine a function requires a parameter to be a VarRef, yet we wanna ignore the function output and r bound to use &(expr) as a temporary holder only. Same case as "intP", 0 for dllcall that we touched upon yday.
Opening the possibility of passing a reference to a property was one of the reasons I made the change, but it is not a priority for v2.0.
I see. None the less, the proposed kludge in #37, granted that it's hassle free to implement, will do its work temporarily.

BTW, in the light of what has been done to byref "specificator", what do u think of replacing unset with * or ? shorthand, e.g.: param:=unset -> param:=?

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 16 Mar 2021, 01:58

What you want is to pass something which is not a reference to a variable, to a parameter which is designed to take a reference to a variable. If the designer of the function (whether that's you or not) wants to allow either case, they should do it by handling VarRef explicitly. &param (currently) guarantees that the function does not execute if the parameter did not receive something it can assign to.

&param says a reference to a variable should be passed, whereas "intP" only says the address of an integer should be passed.

I changed ByRef to & because & is used when passing the variable - it is not just more convenient, but also allows declarations to be copy-pasted and then used as calls, and reminds the reader that they must use & when calling the function. There is no connection between unset and ?. You cannot evaluate an unset variable as boolean (e.g. with ternary).

vvhitevvizard

Post by vvhitevvizard » 16 Mar 2021, 02:28

There is no connection between unset and ?. You cannot evaluate an unset variable as boolean (e.g. with ternary).
@lexikos I didn't have in mind ternary operator ?: or any boolean related stuff. For example, the very same & symbol can be unary and binary operator, boolean and bit-wise depending on context for the sake of having a limited number of ASCII symbols to allot to.
What I mean is any suitable shorthand symbol (?, *, !, whatever) for unset "keyword": param:=*
What you want is to pass something which is not a reference to a variable, to a parameter which is designed to take a reference to a variable. (...)
Not quite that. Along with being compliant to the function's requirement and being shorthand, I want to use a temporary short-term life (just for the callee time line) variable w/o allocating any name to it within the caller's namespace. Yes, discarding any output to that var on purpose.

()=>expr creates an anonymous function's reference.
&(expr) could create a variable reference the same anonymous way. We might assign the reference to some variable function(ref:=&(expr)), otherwise the anonymously created variable would be discarded after the call.

iseahound

Post by iseahound » 28 Mar 2021, 01:05

vvhitevvizard wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 02:28
What I mean is any suitable shorthand symbol (?, *, !, whatever) for unset "keyword": param:=*
That probably deserves its own topic.

But writing f(p1, p2 := unset) => as f(p1, p2?) => would be nice

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”