[wish] Wish delete = for comparing strings

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
V2User

Re: [wish] Wish delete = for comparing strings

Post by V2User » 05 Jun 2021, 06:12

vvhitevvizard wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 05:49
It would require regular expressions to search and replace considering that "="/"==" comparison operators need to be replaced with "=="/"===" respectively.
= is what to delete (see the title), and == always remains the same, while === will never be introduced. Therefore, it will be without any extra replacements.
Last edited by V2User on 05 Jun 2021, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

vvhitevvizard

Post by vvhitevvizard » 05 Jun 2021, 07:59

The current V2 scripts would require some (really simple tho) regular expressions to swap "=" to "==" and then ":=" to "=".

SandyClams

Post by SandyClams » 05 Jun 2021, 08:12

vvhitevvizard wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 07:59
The current V2 scripts would require some (really simple tho) regular expressions to swap "=" to "==" and then ":=" to "=".
@vvhitevvizard to be fair, this really depends whether you guys are barbarians who write your scripts with no whitespace around your operators ;)

V2User

Post by V2User » 05 Jun 2021, 09:16

vvhitevvizard wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 07:59
Yes, you are right. Perhaps due to = is an inefficient comparison I've never used.
Last edited by V2User on 05 Jun 2021, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.

vvhitevvizard

Post by vvhitevvizard » 05 Jun 2021, 13:45

SandyClams wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 08:12
@vvhitevvizard to be fair, this really depends whether you guys are barbarians who write your scripts with no whitespace around your operators ;)
:lol:
As far as I know, there r no coding style conventions for AHK. Barbarians r the ones who edit texts w/o syntax highlighting and suffer a lot from different coding styles.
Anyways, = to == automatic replacer should ignore whitespace and distinguish literal strings.

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 07 Jun 2021, 22:56

V2User wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 01:27
Literal assignment which is as the half of the assignment syntax in V1 has already been deleted, breaking most existing V1 scripts even earlier, perhaps at the time (November 10, 2003). Breaking the rest half of V1 assignment at the time (January 12, 2005) now is just similar, I think.
You're not making any sense.

Ahk_BR

Post by Ahk_BR » 22 Jan 2023, 05:53

This is my first post. Hi everybody!
I´m 40´s now. I were just familiar with Basic-MSX on my 10`s, and have been looking for languages to learn again.
My proficiency in Basic was fair for age. Atari games alike, but far away from use bitmaps, byrefs, pointers, machine code etc.
My point of view:
Ahk has just 1.2 mb! DONE we have a winner!
Others: Python, 200 mb ... C, compile boring... Basic, all comm products... , Java. runtime 500 mb... , JS security..., PHP server localhost ..
I feel that in Python, in the end of the day, I look much more to third programms (the libraries) than python itself. Lets say that Its an amazing bridge, maybe the best fot us naive, to dig with speech recognition, traduction, tensorflow, high-resolution images those things. The same for R in relation to dig with data, panda lib, etc.
About retro compatibility, python3 and python 2.7 are two very diferent programs... 'PRINT "ABCDEFG"' on one, error: ... on another HAVE to be 'PRINT("ABCDEFG"). One is in permanent risk to lose their stock of "adapted" tools created in the previous Python version/syntaxe. Hope that Autohotkey v1 never change so fundamental things like this, the := / = operators.
AHK maybe is the fastest bridge to one understand some useful stuff in programming and mathematcs by yourself, and is REALLY FREE AND OPEN-SOURCE (otherwise, can you read a ten million lines code and use it with confidence?). Look to Rosetta list. Almost 900/1250 implemmented tasks. Most of non-implemmented tasks is about demonstration of built-in functions, libraries and operations not included in our pocket language. Top 30 in implemented tasks rank - I guess - with 1.2 mB program/language in total. Its not nothing.
Maybe AHK is indeed the most FREE, EFICIENT AND DIRECT BRIDGE for most of us, naives, to acess the windows commands and controls and all that power already installed in our computers. For good or bad Windows populate 95% or more of our computers I think. People need money and all open projects eventualy die. Distros linux you will find today certainly is not the same old "controled" distros. LibreOffice, OpenOffice is no more a fair or free alternative to comm products... To minimize this risk i think its better for us to start to learn to make our own essential standalone desktop programs. Excell rules the business world for more than 30 years... think that.
----
In seconds you can get a .exe from your ahk code that will run nicely in every computer, a program with its embeeded program language with no more than 2mb!
----
AHK, imo, forces one to deal with more criativity than modern languages. Here, see, I´m talking majority with non-professionals and for non-professionals. Of course criativity, for the experienced person, is independent of the language of choice.
In Python and modern ones we learn to put one after another funcion from that thousands libraries to run almost like miracle, after exaustive trials, aleatory download and forced connection time. For me, no net no python. For us, naives, the manuals of modern languages are too dense in content but short in explanation, and inexists example-codes of use.
In AHK we the REAL USERS use it to implement our little things, to optimize our multiple necessities like click the jump button on YT, answer emails, download stuff while sleeping - with simple macros imitating/reproducing movements and clicks of the mouse instead the need to learn HTML, urlGET, PUT, Curl and so many things to just start some web scrapping .
I also think that all ahk users agree that we like to create our own little funcions . The "third funcion especializacion" is !nice for us.
AHK is like an oasis in the desert. Simple to start. Simple to run. Simplicity. The last warm hand. Kill AHK 1 and no other language will go back in time. OOP is more eficient, secure, scalable... In sum, encapsulation, polimorfism, methods ("dot now you will fly!" , "dot now you will make that amazing other thing"), classes, inheritance and all that stuff for one who never was presented to basic commands like GOTO,GOSUB,FOR,WHILE will be possible bad, I think. Maybe I am completely wrong. But we, hard users of AHK 1, dont wanna even hear about an eventual and fatal "global" shift to V2.
SAVE THE OPEN-SOURCE AND FREE AUTOHOTKEY V1 FOR THE NEXT 25 YEARS AT LAST. WE THE COMMUNITY WILL BE THANKFULL. FOREVER.

last: I hope one day I make progress in my eventual efforts and eventually be forced to migrate to family C. I will enjoyed it, for sure. But one thing I dont understand. I left no less than 2 hours here in this post. WHF a user of one "hard coded" language devote so much time argumenting in favor of AHK 1 disruption and death?

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”