Hotkey Help - Display Active AHK Hotkeys and Hotstrings

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
AHKxx

Re: Hotkey Help - Display Active AHK Hotkeys and Hotstrings

Post by AHKxx » 18 Apr 2021, 10:09

FanaticGuru wrote:
14 Jun 2014, 22:40
AHKxx wrote:How can I make Hotkey Help use Notepad++ when it opens a script for editing?

I just did a clean installation of Windows 7, and the Hotkey Help script is using the native Windows Notepad. I'm pretty sure that previously it would open scripts in NPP. am I remembering that incorrectly, or have I just forgotten how to configure it for that?

Thanks again for this great script.
That is not defined anywhere in my script. What editor is used is a Windows thing. It uses the default editor defined for AutoHotkey.

For example with me it opens up in SciTE4AutoHotkey.

I believe you have to change it in the register here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoHotkeyScript\Shell\Edit\Command

FG
Hello. I am reviving this ancient thread because I'm again dealing with the same problem, only now on Windows 10, where the above solution is not working.

Trying to get the Hotkey Help script to use Notepad++ when opening scripts. I've changed the registry key and supplied the path to Notepad++, followed by %1. The full key now reads "D:\Google Drive\Other\Notepad++\notepad++.exe %1"

What then happens when I try to open a script from inside Hotkey Help is, it opens NPP but I get a series of errors saying that each segment of that path doesn't exist, asking if I want to create it. When the native notepad.exe %1 is used, everything works as expected. The paths themselves definitely exist.

The problem seems related to there being spaces in the path, as the errors show "Google" instead of "Google Drive" or "Third" and "Party" instead of "Third Party" and similar partial parsing of the path segments.

I'm using HotKey Help with your AHK Startup script.

The full path to NPP is: "D:\Google Drive\Other\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"
The full path to the individual AHK Startup files is: "D:\Google Drive\Other\AHK files\Startup"

Those same paths have been working for years on another device under W7 and W8.1, and are working correctly with notepad.exe under W10. But not with NPP.

Any ideas what might be going on? I hope the above made sense. Thanks for your help and for these amazingly useful scripts!

ozzii

Post by ozzii » 19 Apr 2021, 03:28

I think that it's a problem with spaces in path/name.
For me it's working with this in the registry:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe "%1"

AHKxx

Post by AHKxx » 19 Apr 2021, 13:11

Thank you!

There errors I was getting were pointing to a problem with spaces in the path. But it turns out that if I put "%1" in quotes, everything works as expected. Thanks for pasting the actual string you were using. That was the clue I needed.

And eternal thanks to FG for this the Hotkey Help and Start scripts. I don't boot up with them!

b0dhimind

Post by b0dhimind » 26 Sep 2022, 16:20

Does this still work for anyone? Not sure why nothing is detected on my side even after running Hotkey Help as admin. Script runs fine without errors but no hotkeys are detected in any of my other scripts. See attached.
image.png
image.png (32.05 KiB) Viewed 1195 times

FanaticGuru

Post by FanaticGuru » 26 Sep 2022, 18:30

b0dhimind wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 16:20
Does this still work for anyone? Not sure why nothing is detected on my side even after running Hotkey Help as admin. Script runs fine without errors but no hotkeys are detected in any of my other scripts.

It works for me fine.

Did it ever work for you? Did something change?

According to the display it is finding itself which it finds just like any other scripts. And then QUICKACCESSPOPUP which is compiled which cannot have comments and therefore no help comments. Then a bunch of other scripts with no Hotkeys or Hotstrings. Do these other scripts have hotkeys and hotstrings? Are the hotkeys created in some usual way like dynamically through variables holding their key combinations? Are the scripts stored somewhere sensitive that needs permission? Like the "Program Files" folder.

It is finding the scripts, so that does not seem to be the problem.
Then it needs to open and read the scripts files. That could be a permission issue.
Then it needs to find the hotkeys/hotstrings in the scripts which can be a problem if the script creates them in an usual way, especially dynamically.

It is possible to use one Hotkey command in a loop to dynamically create hundreds of hotkeys. In that case having a help comment in the script for that line is kind of meaningless.

If the hotkeys are being created dynamically, it can be near impossible to match up a hotkey with the text of a help comment in the script. If that is the case then that is when you need to use an external text help file for the script.

Does it find anything when you do: Win+Alt+Ctrl+F1.
That does a Raw Hotkey List which finds them through a different technique than scanning the script files. It will find even most dynamically created hotkeys as it is basically sending a PostMessage to each script telling it to report its hotkeys. This does not help for finding help comments in the scripts but can be useful for troubleshooting.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks

b0dhimind

Post by b0dhimind » 26 Sep 2022, 18:51

FanaticGuru wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 18:30
I've never tried it before. I only ever tried a different script "AHKHotkeyStringLookup" which also did not work.

Recently I did install the v2 launcher which automatically intercepts all AHK and determines on its own whether to run in v1 or v2... but I haven't noticed any issue with any other scripts due to it.
FanaticGuru wrote:
That does a Raw Hotkey List which finds them through a different technique than scanning the script files. It will find even most dynamically created hotkeys as it is basically sending a PostMessage to each script telling it to report its hotkeys. This does not help for finding help comments in the scripts but can be useful for troubleshooting.
Yes this worked! I had to run as administrator and it showed the dozens of hotkeys in raw format. (with no comments)
I tried running the normal view with comments after though and it still didn't work, showed the same empty view as above.

FanaticGuru

Post by FanaticGuru » 26 Sep 2022, 19:46

b0dhimind wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 18:51
FanaticGuru wrote:
I've never tried it before. I only ever tried a different script "AHKHotkeyStringLookup" which also did not work.

Recently I did install the v2 launcher which automatically intercepts all AHK and determines on its own whether to run in v1 or v2... but I haven't noticed any issue with any other scripts due to it.
FanaticGuru wrote:
Yes this worked! I had to run as administrator and it showed the dozens of hotkeys in raw format. (with no comments)

The fact you had to run as administrator means there could be some permission issues going on.

I am not 100% sure of everything the launcher does. I know it messes up my script AHK Startup because the launcher messes up getting the PID of scripts that are run because it just get the PID of the launcher. But I do not believe that is the problem here because Hotkey Help is finding the names of the scripts. And it is also finding itself. I would create a very simple script with just 1 hotkey and see if it is found.

Code: Select all

MsgBox HERE
Esc::ExitApp
You can also turn off the 'launcher' temporarily through the 'dash' for testing. I am not completely sure of the correct terminology for all the v2 stuff, I actually just installed v2 last week and got things working like I want for having v1 and v2 both installed. I decided to not go with the standard install using the 'launcher' and instead do separate ahk and ah2 extensions. Took a bit to get all the context menus and SciTE4AutoHotkey working properly for both, but I seem to have them both running pretty smoothly now.

When you look in one of the scripts you are hoping to find a hotkey in, does it have a normal hotkey creation. Basically, something like F1::?

And of course, the compiled script like QUICKACCESSPOPUP-64-BIT. That is a no go. Compiled scripts cannot be easily read and contain no comments which is core to this script functioning.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks

TomBombadil

Post by TomBombadil » 22 Jan 2024, 08:34

I'm new to Auto Hotkey and just got my first shortcuts and small functions up and running. Would anyone be willing to rewrite this script here for version 2? Because this is definitely above my current understanding of the subject matter.

TomBombadil

Post by TomBombadil » 24 Jan 2024, 08:48

TomBombadil wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 08:34
I'm new to Auto Hotkey and just got my first shortcuts and small functions up and running. Would anyone be willing to rewrite this script here for version 2? Because this is definitely above my current understanding of the subject matter.
I work with someone on Fiverr occasionally, who writes scripts for me. He offered to rewrite this Script to AHK v2, for 40 $. Does somebody want to share and chime in?

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”