Remove line breaks while copying (Convert multiple lines to one line)

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
HalBenHB

Remove line breaks while copying (Convert multiple lines to one line)

Post by HalBenHB » 31 Jan 2023, 11:18

I work with pdfs a lot. When copying text from pdf it also copies line breaks in pdf. I usually solve this by opening a new Chrome tab, pasting the text to address bar (it automatically converts it to one line text), then copying it again. However, I wanted to increase my productivity. So, the following code automatically removes line breaks of selected text and copy it as a one line text when you press Ctrl+C.

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

^c::
Suspend, On ; Suspend this scripts so the following ^c becomes a normal copy
Clipboard =
Send, ^c
Sleep, 50 ; Wait for clipboard
Clipboard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "\r\n|\r|\n", "")
Suspend, Off
return

mattersen

Re: Remove line breaks while copying (Convert multiple lines to one line)

Post by mattersen » 19 Mar 2024, 11:49

I was using a similar script to remove line breaks when copy/pasting but your script is working much better mine does, so, thank you!

I did make a small tweak because I was getting some cases where there was a missing space between words but this can be solved by substituting the "" with A_Space, which automatically trims out extra spacing (if I'm reading the documentation correctly). https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/lib/AutoTrim.htm

Code: Select all

#NoEnv 
; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.   

^c:: Suspend, On ; Suspend this scripts so the following ^c becomes a normal copy 
Clipboard = 
Send, ^c 
Sleep, 50 ; Wait for clipboard 
Clipboard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "\r\n|\r|\n", A_Space) 
Suspend, Off 
return  
In any case, this saved me a lot of time and I really appreciate it! :)

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”