Save a GUI to edit in future?

Open source general-purpose IDE, lightweight text editor. Previously known as AutoGUI.
foxdanger

Save a GUI to edit in future?

Post by foxdanger » 02 Jun 2021, 18:07

Trying to use Auto-GUI to generate the window of my project, but it just don`t save after you close the software. You can import but it lose all the buttons.

So, before finish I can`t close the project never?

boiler

Re: Save a GUI to edit in future?

Post by boiler » 07 Jul 2021, 22:05

That is correct. It is basically used to generate a GUI in a single session. After you implement it in your script, it's likely you would be adding variable names and other things to the controls anyway, so it only makes sense to use as a starting point.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 » 29 Nov 2021, 18:26

I've also contemplated this. It would be very cool if the GUI Designer tool could open an existing GUI for basic editing. I'm a noob, more or less, but I'm thinking that it would take a million lines of code to anticipate all the different configurations that a GUI can exist in. They can be so dynamic in so many different ways that it would be pratically impossible to add this feature. Of course, opening the GUI would be easy, but the GUI Designer would have to be able to change those dynamic components without breaking them.

Having said that, I actually have used the old AutoGUI do to this.... Sortof. I cloned an existing GUI, then added the buttons or whatever it was, then copy-n-pasted those new lines of code into my existing project.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

Alguimist

Post by Alguimist » 30 Nov 2021, 15:04

foxdanger wrote: You can import but it lose all the buttons.
No, it doesn't, unless you're talking about toolbar buttons. Auto-GUI has two ways of re-opening (importing) a previously saved file: by cloning the window or by parsing the script. Both have limitations and that's why I'm planning to implement project saving in an XML format.

vSky

Post by vSky » 13 Jun 2022, 12:33

Alguimist wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 15:04
I'm planning to implement project saving in an XML format.
What's the benefit of saving with XML? Because of these limitations, I sometimes turn the computer off by putting it to sleep. I would be glad if you help.
Last edited by gregster on 13 Jun 2022, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.

Return to “Adventure IDE”