How To Stop Auto-Repeat Behavior Of Hotkey? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Mulsiphix

How To Stop Auto-Repeat Behavior Of Hotkey?

Post by Mulsiphix » 27 Jan 2022, 12:13

I have a double-press script. I often hold down the LShift hotkey that activates it. When held down, the script often executes repeatedly. I assume because the LShift key is auto-repeated by Windows. Is there a way to halt this auto-repeat behavior, while still allowing the script to detect double presses? I found GetKeyState, KeyWait, If/Else, and Loop in the AHK Documentation, but have been unable to come up with any design that works for this specific situation.

mikeyww

Re: How To Stop Auto-Repeat Behavior Of Hotkey?  Topic is solved

Post by mikeyww » 27 Jan 2022, 12:20

Feel free to post your script for feedback about it.

Code: Select all

LShift::
Click, 2
SoundBeep, 1500
KeyWait, LShift
SoundBeep, 1000
Return

Mulsiphix

Re: How To Stop Auto-Repeat Behavior Of Hotkey?

Post by Mulsiphix » 27 Jan 2022, 13:11

Thank you mikeyww, I might do that. Regarding the script you posted, when I hold down the LShift key, I hear those beeps repeating for as long as I hold LShift down. Is there a way to stop it from repeating? What I am after is:

1. Press LShift down and do not physically release it. The script executes only once.
2. I continue to hold LShift down for 30 seconds, but script does not fire a second or more times.
3. Finally, I release the LShift key. Then physically press it a second time. The script executes for a second time.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 27 Jan 2022, 13:35

That's surprising because the hook is installed at my end, but you could add #InstallKeybdHook at the top. It works here. Use this exact script with no other code, and no other scripts running at the same time. Test in Notepad.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » 27 Jan 2022, 19:22

I apologize. Your script does work perfectly. I had the AHK script I am working on running in the background, which utilizes LShift. So I changed the hotkey in your script from LShift to a. But I failed to update the KeyWait command. I closed all other AHK scripts like you suggested and now your script works flawlessly. And without needing to specify #InstallKeybdHook. I am sorry about that. Thank you so much for your help :dance:

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 27 Jan 2022, 19:30

Good to hear. Thank you for the report. Have fun with it.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”