Edit Script With... right click menu option?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
RDC

Edit Script With... right click menu option?

Post by RDC » 26 Mar 2023, 13:55

Hello all. I have done my due diligence and either my search term skills need a different way of looking, or it just hasn't been asked yet. I'm betting on the former however.
Is there a script, or is it possible to create one, that allows for 'Edit Script With...' in the right click menu so one has a choice of editors?
I generally prefer to use plain white and boring Windows notepad most of the time as it is what I am used to.
Of course that becomes a real annoyance when trying to track down errors at line such and such if there are more than a dozen lines.
That is when I would prefer to just edit in Notepad++ so I can test the script while it is opened in an editor.
If not possible I can always make the reg edit. Just prefer not too if not needed. Thank you in advance!!
Attachments
image.png
image.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 295 times

off

Re: Edit Script With... right click menu option?

Post by off » 26 Mar 2023, 20:13

Notepad++ should be at the middle of the Right Click menu.
image.png
image.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 253 times
My Creations
IMG2HotString - Send image file easily with your hotstring!
CtrlSend - A small solution for sending keys to window in background that doesn't accept ControlSend's key
ControlProcess

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 26 Mar 2023, 20:30

Although I do not have an answer, I find the question to be unclear. You might want to clarify it for other readers. Are you asking how to use AHK to create a one-time modification to File Explorer's context menu? How to add a context-menu item that runs your AHK script? How to create a completely separate and independent menu with items and actions? For a one-time modification, why not use one of the established context-menu editors available on the Web?

RDC

Post by RDC » 27 Mar 2023, 07:18

Hi Mikey. Sorry, I had thought the intent was fairly straight forward. Just showing my entire right click menu, you can see I wasn't imagining that there is no "Edit with Notepad++" as yours shows.
I'll have to assume that not everyone's PC works the same and has the exact same right click menu, although it would have been nice to have the edit choice to begin with.

image.png
image.png (19.28 KiB) Viewed 228 times

It's all good though. I kept searching and found a script that indeed allows for an editor choice when I click 'Edit Script' exactly as I asked. Thanks for the help though!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”