"\" as allegedly invalid character "in an expression"

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
ari

"\" as allegedly invalid character "in an expression"

Post by ari » 02 Oct 2022, 14:15

The following code is a part of a longer script, drive1/2, path1/2, filename1/2 and m and s are all correctly assigned variables,
and in this part I want to also assign the variables fullcurrent and targetpath:

Code: Select all

IF
{
(...)
if ( m = 1 ) ; and thus s = 2
{
	fullcurrent := drive2 . ":" . path2 ."." . filename2 ; ERROR LINE 1
	targetpath := drive2 . ":" . path1 ; 2
}
else ; i.e. m = 2 and thus s = 1
{
	fullcurrent := drive1 . ":\" . path1 ."\" . filename1 ; ERROR LINE 3
	targetpath := drive1 . ":\" . path2 ; 4
}
}
ELSE
(...)
Now the if "m = 1" part should look like the "else" part, but I then invariably get an error message that the character "\" is "not allowed in an expression", for error line 1, so I changed that line, and I got the error message for the next line, so I changed that, too, and now I get the error message for error line (and 4 if I also change that error line 3).

I use AHK 1.1.34, and I simply don't understand why the "\" is not accepted within strings in such a concatenation, and it does not seem that "escaping" it would make sense there. (I know it's different in regex strings, but that's not the case here. Also, I did all the if / else / { / } / etc. correctly.)

boiler

Re: "\" as allegedly invalid character "in an expression"

Post by boiler » 02 Oct 2022, 15:18

The problem is the . because you didn't put a space around both sides of it. You didn't use proper expression syntax in trying to concatenate a variable and a string, which is what caused the error.

Run this line as you had it by itself:

fullcurrent := drive1 . ":\" . path1 ."\" . filename1
...and compare to when you run this corrected line:

fullcurrent := drive1 . ":\" . path1 . "\" . filename1

ari

Post by ari » 02 Oct 2022, 15:59

Thank you so much, Boiler, you are perfectly right. I had stared for 2 hours onto my script, not becoming aware of the missing spaces. It seems I should use an editor which shows them.

I have a list with my "standard" errors, another one being for example using ":" instead of ";" for comments, or not even outcommenting them, so that a previous code-line beneath an "if" is always reached, and other such really "stupid" things... and then I often simply don't grasp them but many minutes later, so my individual "error check-list" really helps, once the error is entered there.

And it's so time-consuming to check, and re-check, and re-check, variable names for possible typos... ;-)

Without your kind help, I wouldn't have found my error but days later; thank you so much again, Boiler!!!

boiler

Post by boiler » 02 Oct 2022, 18:29

Yes, if you used an editor with AHK syntax highlighting, it would make issues like using : instead of ; for comments super obvious, as is demonstrated below.

MsgBox, Hello ; this is a properly formatted comment as the text highlighting makes clear
MsgBox, Hello : this is not a comment because it does not use a ";" character

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”