Installed a beta; lost the ability to compile from Explorer; how to regain that ability?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
UserNameForAH_Board

Installed a beta; lost the ability to compile from Explorer; how to regain that ability?

Post by UserNameForAH_Board » 06 Oct 2022, 16:20

Hi all

I had 2.0-beta.7. I downloaded and installed v2.0-beta.11. My previous procedure with installing the beta was to download a zip of it, unpack the zip somewhere, and then paste the unpacked files over my . . Program Files\ installation. This time I tried to install directly to the Program Files directory. That caused problems; suffice it to say that I had to delete my old installation. What I should like to know is this. How can I regain the Windows Explorer context menu that will allow me to compile scripts? I had that menu before; it's gone now; and copying an old copy of Ahk2Exe.exe to various places did not solve the problem.

(Also: goodness, those animated smilies to the right of the composition pane - here as I type this message - are annoying.)

Thanks.

EDIT: ah - the installer file offers to compile a script and, when one takes up the offer, offers to download Ahk2Exe.exe. So far, so good. And indeed the right-click Explorer menu has reappeared. Yet, when I try to use that menu (and specifically its 'Compile script' option) . .

UserNameForAH_Board

Re: Installed a beta; lost the ability to compile from Explorer; how to regain that ability?

Post by UserNameForAH_Board » 06 Oct 2022, 16:28

It seems that both the directory and the file are missing; and the file that the installer downloaded was not the file about which the window complains . .

EDIT: I used a backup to restore files in C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\Compiler. Then when I tried to compile, I saw the following, even though, when the script in question runs interpreted, it runs fine.

EDIT: OK, the solution to all this nonsense appears to be as follows. Use the GUI compiler to select the appropriate compiler. That compiler should be a file that one has within the 'compiler' directory'. (I found that the GUI offered various compilers but that not all of them worked - because not all corresponded to existing files?) Then, within the GUI, chose the option to set your chosen options as default. Then the GUI compiler works and the direct-from-Explorer compilation works too. (I tried to delete this post - the idea being to put my edit into my first post - but the board, despite offering deletion, refused to carry through the deletion.)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”