AHK executables and AV protection

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
mikeyww

Re: AHK executables and AV protection

Post by mikeyww » 26 Mar 2023, 07:25

They do not always send attachments, but the links are not typically links to files on third-party commercial cloud file servers. Phishing is obviously a big problem. I send a lot of links-- to Web sites and file servers.

Zip files are often OK, but not usually if they contain EXE files and are then sent as e-mail attachments. Some e-mail servers block Zip files, too. When I receive a Zip file, I'm usually cautious to inspect its contents carefully before opening any of its files.

The idea of these "preventive practices" is not actually to prevent problems or eliminate risk, but to minimize risk. Moving EXE files to other locations is one way to do that.

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 26 Mar 2023, 08:04

i have to wonder just what was actually achieved here. ur Grandma now has to go download the same program that was used to encrypt the file to decrypt it. hmmmm, this seems an awful lot similar to sending her the script text and having her download ahk :facepalm:

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 26 Mar 2023, 08:14

Yeah, plus if you send Grandma the script, she can learn AutoHotkey and start to write her own scripts.

:)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”