Astreisk not working and modifiers reset Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Scripperfeels7

Astreisk not working and modifiers reset

Post by Scripperfeels7 » 31 Mar 2023, 14:08

To my understanding * is supposed to ignore modifiers? This doesn't seem to work for me. So for example the following script works, but if I press shift or ctrl during it, it doesn't.

Code: Select all

3::
While (A_ThisHotkey = 3) And (A_Index <= 10)
{
	Send 8
	Sleep 50
}
Return
Now if I put a "*3::" as the bind instead, nothing happens when I tap 3. If however I do a double bind like so:

3::
+3::
While (A_ThisHotkey = 3) And (A_Index <= 10)
{
	Send 8
	Sleep 50
}
Return
Then shift / ctrl are released instead of being held down as I tap 3.

What's going on with the asterisk, and how do I make AHK keep the modifiers pressed without interrupting them, while still activating the hotkey script?

mikeyww

Re: Astreisk not working and modifiers reset  Topic is solved

Post by mikeyww » 31 Mar 2023, 17:23

#Requires AutoHotkey v1.1.33
*3::
SetKeyDelay 50
While GetKeyState(3, "P") && A_Index < 11 {
 Send {Blind}8
 ToolTip % A_Index
}
KeyWait 3
ToolTip
Return
The secret to writing this script is understanding the values of your variables. You can use the script itself to do that-- display the values for you-- or use one of the debugging tools.

Scripperfeels7

Re: Astreisk not working and modifiers reset

Post by Scripperfeels7 » 02 Apr 2023, 19:03

mikeyww wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 17:23

#Requires AutoHotkey v1.1.33
*3::
SetKeyDelay 50
While GetKeyState(3, "P") && A_Index < 11 {
 Send {Blind}8
 ToolTip % A_Index
}
KeyWait 3
ToolTip
Return
The secret to writing this script is understanding the values of your variables. You can use the script itself to do that-- display the values for you-- or use one of the debugging tools.
Good idea, it's just hard to see whether shift is pressed or not in the script and I have no knowledge or experience of using any AHK debugging tools! Tbh so far I've just used it for menial simple tasks so I didn't need one. I guess I should get one tho. :D

But despite having AHK 1.1.33.10, the asterisk isn't working at all. Also {Blind} sends a shift-modified 8 instead of an actual 8. But it appears the case I need it for already accounts for modifiers so that's not a problem. How would I keep the shift pressed while still sending a regular 8 though, for future reference?

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 02 Apr 2023, 20:09

It looks to me like it works, but you must have a different idea. In the presence of the wildcard hotkey modifier (*), the hotkey can be triggered with or without the modifiers. If you want the 8 to be sent without their effect, you can remove {Blind}.

If you are holding a modifier, AHK will automatically release it to send the 8, because otherwise the 8 cannot be sent, right? It isn't magic. It's just like you would send an 8 yourself-- without any modifiers.

Scripperfeels7

Post by Scripperfeels7 » 03 Apr 2023, 11:56

Yeah that's a fair point. Didn't hurt to ask tho! And also yeah I have no idea why the asterisk isn't working, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to. Thanks again!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”