Pre-AHK ... Ctrl key randomly sticks on solution?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Norm24

Pre-AHK ... Ctrl key randomly sticks on solution?

Post by Norm24 » 06 Jun 2023, 08:45

Hi all, I have just installed AHK and been enjoying even the simple things it can do like entering my email address on a form with RH Alt - (AltGr .)

Code: Select all

<^>!.::
Send, [email protected]
return
Also more excellent pre-written scripts like Autocorrect - so yes, noob, but learning.

Before installing and working with AHK I had an annoying problem. Ctrl key regularly and randomly stuck down ... not mechanical - changed keyboard. Not Win11 - fresh windows install.
Often you notice it first surfing, with a web page zooming in and out rather than scrolling, or some other action like desktop url shortcuts not opening when clicked.
The On Screen Keyboard shows Ctrl continuously pressed.
It's just the Ctrl key affected and can be cleared with one tap of the key. Online, others have problems like this but there are a relatively small number of posts and solutions. I think I have tried most things but I was wondering could there be an AHK solution?
I would not have an idea how to start this so am seeking help ... comments appreciated :-)

I was thinking along the lines of AHK sensing that Ctrl is pressed for longer than, say, 5" and sending a command to press Ctrl once?

Best Regards Norman.

mikeyww

Re: Pre-AHK ... Ctrl key randomly sticks on solution?

Post by mikeyww » 06 Jun 2023, 09:05

Welcome to this AutoHotkey forum!

The problem is believed to be caused by a software conflict of some kind. I guess that's really not saying very much! In any case, yes, you can use the script to check for the "stuck modifier" and also to send that key up at any time.

Norm24

Post by Norm24 » 06 Jun 2023, 12:35

Thank you Mikey, is that script something you could help me with?

Norm24

Post by Norm24 » 06 Jun 2023, 15:17

Thanks ... will have a look.

Norm24

Post by Norm24 » 06 Jun 2023, 17:06

Wow this is a much bigger issue than I thought! :o

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”