Remove from context menu Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
feh

Remove from context menu  Topic is solved

Post by feh » 31 Oct 2017, 16:22

I tried installing autohotkey today, but quickly noticed it added stuff to my context menu without asking. Normally I would live with it, but the installer being kind enough to ask me about several things before doing them makes me hopeful this program includes a way to disable that option without manually finding it in the registry. So I would like to know if there is such a way.

I found "https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/3540 ... -commands/" which looks related, but it does not seem to be obvious whether those functions are permanent or not. On a secondary note, would those work to remove other context menu items that I want gone from other programs, but can't figure out how to (my registry-fu is lacking)?

theimmersion

Re: Remove from context menu

Post by theimmersion » 31 Oct 2017, 18:21

May i ask what stuff it added to context menu? You sure made it sound hacky and ignorant and tacky, like it cluttered your context menu while thats absolutely not the case.
Theres like 2 common thing that it adds as far as im aware of and really isnt a big deal what so ever.
1. The right click context "New->AutoHotkey Script"
2. The .ahk extention exclusive right click context "Run / Compile / Edit Script" which is by all means expected and well executed.

Btw, notpad++ doesnt ask to add to context, nor has a setting when installing as far as im aware but not having that would be half the notepad++ and is rather pointless to even have it as a setting. Just for reference. :)

I suggest googling Add remove stuff from context menu. You should find a lot of tutorials and may i point you to specifically .reg files.
They are your friend. Always have one that modifies and one that reverts the changes! You never know.
Good luck!

feh

Post by feh » 31 Oct 2017, 19:06

It is the option under new-> that feels cluttery. Though the reason I brought it up is mostly because the installer felt uniquely non-intrusive with how it asked for permission for most things (take discord as an opposing example: that installer asks you nothing and instantly installs into one of the worst possible directories imo). Notepad++ silently affects the context menu too, as you say. But even though I love that program it does not mean that I do think that is a good thing, even considering that it is a program I want in my context menu (Most editors does this btw, I have had to manually remove a few in the registry before because I don't really use them).
While "open in *" items are something I tolerate for things I use (especially if they only show up when the file-extension is relevant), the "New->..." dropdown menu is one where I honestly want to get rid of most things that are in there by default already, because I find even that cluttered :P

But I take it I will have to enter the registry then. Done it a few times before, enough to actually have made "favorites" in regedit to quickly find a few of the relevant locations for the context menu's "open with" items.

For the sake of anyone stumbling on this thread in the future:
In the registry, if you go to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ahk", you can get rid on the context-entry. "LegacyDisable" didn't seem to work for this part of the context menu, but removing the value "AutoHotKeyScript" from "(Default)" (or deleting the key entirely) will get it to not show up in the context menu any longer.

digitaleyes

Post by digitaleyes » 29 Jul 2021, 07:35

(AHK Version 1.1.33.09)

I edited this line in my registry to disable AHK's context menu actions:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ahk\ShellNew

With FileName I added '-' beforeTemplate.ahk

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”