direct remapping of 24 keyboard extra-buttons using ahk only

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
adamantine

direct remapping of 24 keyboard extra-buttons using ahk only

Post by adamantine » 08 Aug 2020, 13:42

the keyboard is Steelseries APEX (steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-gaming-keyboard), the buttons are:

1-10: MX1 to MX10
11-22: M1 to M12
23: left-up
24: right-up

there are even 5 more special buttons (L1, L2, L3, L4, and the very conveniently placed logo-button) but they could not be assigned to something even in the native SS Engine software
(i use version 2 of it) (not 3) (the version 3 has its disadvantages, including inability to remap these 2 very important buttons: left-up, right-up)

there are similar old topics like this or that
but some time has passed already. so i decided to ask if somebody knows how to solve this problem (it seems, very difficult problem)

my goal is to remap these 24 buttons (at least them) without having to use the Steelseries Engine software which is very slow and not convenient
its process SteelSeriesEngine.exe is constantly running and gets fatter and fatter after each opening of its gui:
mem usage is bigger than the usage of ALL other programs together (except for the browser)
I/O write bytes is in top-3/top-2 of all processes (top-1 right after start of OS)

littlegandhi1199

Re: direct remapping of 24 keyboard extra-buttons using ahk only

Post by littlegandhi1199 » 13 Aug 2020, 14:11

I'm also wishing to get these extra keys on my keyboard as well.
Haven't been able to for months... Mine is also steelseries.
Can anyone help us?
Script Backups on every Execution :mrgreen:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75767&p=328155#p328155

Scrabble Solver 4-15 letter word outputs ( :crazy: # of inputs)
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34285

adamantine

Re: direct remapping of 24 keyboard extra-buttons using ahk only

Post by adamantine » 18 Sep 2022, 00:16

there are similar old topics like this or that
the 2nd link contains the following sad conclusion (written in 2014):

I ended up having to make the steelseries program make the macro keys output CTRL+F1, CTRL+F2 etc. and use autohotkeys from there
it's 2022, and i forcibly came to the nearly same ugly work-around (shame on the steelseries company):

- 10 great buttons (from MX1 to MX10) (full-sized) are remapped to:       ctrl+F1 ... ctrl+F10

- 2 wonderful and unique additional cursor-buttons (left-up and right-up) (full-sized) are remapped to:        ctrl+F11, ctrl+F12

- 12 bearable buttons (from M1 to M12) (not full-sized) (placed right above the F1 ... F12) are remapped to:        win+F1 ... win+F12

SteelSeriesEngine.exe:    the mem usage is still much greater than the usage of ALL other programs together (except for the browser)

so much time has passed. do you know any good solution that ahk may propose?
there's something serious here but i'm not sure at all that i need to follow those instructions

Last bumped by adamantine on 18 Sep 2022, 00:16.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”